Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

1 hour ago, HotRunrGuy said:

But, at the time, those of us that had V8 Explorers, and used them as tow vehicles, enjoyed the grunt needed to get loads moving. Not everyone drag races,,,,

HRG

And back then it was the superior engine, period.

The great thing about the ecoboosts is that they produce about 90% of peak torque by 2000 rpm.   My 3.5eb F150 will loaf along at 1200 rpm in 10th gear all day long even uphill on moderate grades without downshifting.

9 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

if you where using it as a giant station wagon that didn't need to tow anything, the 4.0L was fine LOL

I had a Ranger supercab and an explorer with the 4.0L and an Aviator with the DOHC 4.6L.    The v8 was better but you're right the 4.0L was perfectly adequate with 168 hp.

6 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

if you where using it as a giant station wagon that didn't need to tow anything, the 4.0L was fine LOL

Yes indeed. I had a 4.0 in a '96 Explorer, and it was still going strong when I traded it in after 170K.  The only issues I had were replacing oxygen sensors for the emission controls.

It seemed fine for my use, and was excellent in the deep snow.

26 minutes ago, Trailhiker said:

Yes indeed. I had a 4.0 in a '96 Explorer, and it was still going strong when I traded it in after 170K.  The only issues I had were replacing oxygen sensors for the emission controls.

It seemed fine for my use, and was excellent in the deep snow.

My 2002 was pushing 200k when I traded it in for my focus, and the only engine related problem was also O2 sensors. Thing was a beast. 

28 minutes ago, akirby said:

I had a Ranger supercab and an explorer with the 4.0L and an Aviator with the DOHC 4.6L.    The v8 was better but you're right the 4.0L was perfectly adequate with 168 hp.

When I purchased my 1998 Explorer XLT there were 3 engine choices - the 4.0, the 4.0 SOHC w/5 Speed Transmission, and the 5.0 V8

The 4.0 SOHC power numbers were neck and neck with 5.0. and I think it was just a tad quicker in acceleration.  I towed some smaller campers etc with the SOHC 4.0 (towing pkg included) and it worked great - here in the mountain west towing is a whole different animal.

43 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

My 2002 was pushing 200k when I traded it in for my focus, and the only engine related problem was also O2 sensors. Thing was a beast. 

I had a 1993 Explorer XLT 4x4 5-Speed manual with ~226k miles when I sold it.  One of my favorite vehicles ever . . .

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jpd80 said:

Mind you, the Ranger is a drive in, drive out tune away from smoking that 4.6 V8 

Poor selling Spot Trac has been gone nearly ten years but the 2.3 EB Ranger crew cab

is a decent replacement save for a missing  apex trim level and engine. Ford should

provide these in the next generation

I worked at Louisville Assembly where the Sport Trac was made.  It was a vehicla that almost wasn't going to happen.  However, several production managers and engineers devised a way to get it done and Ford HQ gave it a green light.  It wasn't that the vehicle was a poor seller.  There was a legitimate manufacturing constraint.  At the time, Explorer and Mountaineer were selling like hotcakes  We couldn't build them fast enough.  Add in the Sport Trac and you could imagine the production nightmares.  The cab and box sides would go through paint, then the cab and box sides were pulled into a mini-assembly area at the end of the paint shop where Sport Trac specific trim pieces, back windshield and box were assembled.  Then it was sent to the trim department for final assembly.  LAP built as many Sport Tracs as the facility could produce.  When Explorer moved to the unibody chassis, that was the demise of the Sport Trac.  I think Ford could legitimately bring back the Sport Trac on the new Bronco paltform and have an immediate following and again sell as many as they could produce.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedHoncho01 said:

I think Ford could legitimately bring back the Sport Trac on the new Bronco paltform and have an immediate following and again sell as many as they could produce.  

Wouldn't that be redundant with Ranger Crew Cab?  Remember the new Ranger is close to Explorer size, not small like the old ones.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

My dad still has 1998 Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 Super Cab with 160k+ on it. He barely drives it since he's retired and their primary vehicle is a 13 Escape TI that is my mom's car. 

Going by everyone elses reply, the 4.0L V6 is a tank 

6 hours ago, RedHoncho01 said:

I worked at Louisville Assembly where the Sport Trac was made.  It was a vehicla that almost wasn't going to happen.  However, several production managers and engineers devised a way to get it done and Ford HQ gave it a green light.  It wasn't that the vehicle was a poor seller.  There was a legitimate manufacturing constraint.  At the time, Explorer and Mountaineer were selling like hotcakes  We couldn't build them fast enough.  Add in the Sport Trac and you could imagine the production nightmares.  The cab and box sides would go through paint, then the cab and box sides were pulled into a mini-assembly area at the end of the paint shop where Sport Trac specific trim pieces, back windshield and box were assembled.  Then it was sent to the trim department for final assembly.  LAP built as many Sport Tracs as the facility could produce.  When Explorer moved to the unibody chassis, that was the demise of the Sport Trac.  I think Ford could legitimately bring back the Sport Trac on the new Bronco paltform and have an immediate following and again sell as many as they could produce.  

Yes Explorer and mountaineer were selling like hot cakes up to 2002 but by 2005, sales had literally halved and close to a quarter by 2007. Lots of things were happening at the same time back then but my point is that even before the mid 2000s, production constraints were already easing and on the skids by the time the second generation arrived in 2005.

6 hours ago, akirby said:

Wouldn't that be redundant with Ranger Crew Cab?  Remember the new Ranger is close to Explorer size, not small like the old ones.

If all goes as planned, it will be less redundant than Escape / Bronco Sport.

Owning a segment can be easier with more than one entry.

If all goes as planned.

As far as I can tell, a Bronco pick up was not intended part of the original product development scope or final lock in products. So if there is a Bronco Pick up, then it will be at least a further two years behind the December job 1 kick off.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, PREMiERdrum said:

If all goes as planned, it will be less redundant than Escape / Bronco Sport.

Owning a segment can be easier with more than one entry.

If all goes as planned.

So reading tea leaves based on this and your previous comments, I'm thinking I'm probably not too far off in thinking that if NG Ranger is a true little brother to F-150 then a Bronco pickup fills the void of a lack of Ranger Raptor