Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

59 minutes ago, Nickp said:

I am taking the 3.0 aviator powertrain mention on the Bronco forums with a few grains of salt. The one other thing is that I remember someone either in this thread or another one on here said that Jeep was going to “shit themselves” when they saw the Bronco powertrain options. The 3.0 hybrid would definitely do that. 2.7 not so much.

That was me trash talking but seriously, Wrangler and Bronco are going to be completely different vehicles that have quite a bit of overlap in the middle, the difference is at the extreme ends.. and I mean challenging off roading vs “Raptor” like attributes.

You’re already seeing how Ranger is “not quite there”  in more challenging off road situations compared to Wrangler but, in most other situations that matter to the majority of buyers the new Bronco (and Ranger) will reset the bar. How well it does in more challenging off road if is anyone’s guess on how far Ford is prepared to go in that direction.

A base 2.3 EB kind of matches Wrangler’s V6 performance in open running, from there Bronco engine options should leave Wrangler a bit on the breathless side.....

Edited by jpd80

Just now, jpd80 said:

New 7-speed manual with super low first gear 

I hope it has more on the low end, and not just another overdrive gear. 

More overdrive could work, but it would mean a more extreme gearing in the diff to accomplish the same thing.  Just a question of which is cheaper or easier for Ford, assuming that's even what they want to accomplish with it, instead of trying to make their manual a hypermiler.

13 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

In the F150 the 2.7 is 325/400.

The Edge ST  is 335/380.

Ok?   What is your point?   I said 325/380 at minimum.  My Fusion Sport is rated at 325/380 on 93 octane so I was using that as a baseline.  Any variation of the 2.7 in the Bronco is going to absolutely outclass the gas engines options in the Wrangler.  

Edited by 02MustangGT

20 minutes ago, Deanh said:

one can dream correct...2.3 with manual probably more likely...

The only reason jeep has that limitation is the manual they're using isn't rated for the amount of torque their other engines provide, only the NA 3.6 V6 has low enough torque.  Ford seems to have planned ahead and picked a unit capable of handling several good engine options -- one of the benefits of starting almost from scratch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

Ok?   What is your point?   I said 325/380 at minimum.  My Fusion Sport is rated at 325/380 on 93 octane so I was using that as a baseline.  Any variation of the 2.7 in the Bronco is going to absolutely outclass the gas engines options in the Wrangler.  

Nobody cares about hp...torque on other hand is important...oh fords got 400hp in the bronco (pounds chest)...what nobody ever tells you is its at 4500rmp which is frickin useless off road...

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Hmm, hybrid Bronco or manual transmission Bronco

damn, that's going to be a tough choice 

I joked about this a while ago but I think it would be badass still. A 7-speed manual and first gear is an electric only mode.

1 hour ago, 02MustangGT said:

380 isn't 400. Yes I know you said "minimum". How much harder is it to get the specs right?

2.7 in rwd/ 10 speed is 400. Bronco will be rwd/ 10 speed.

52 minutes ago, snooter said:

Nobody cares about hp...torque on other hand is important...oh fords got 400hp in the bronco (pounds chest)...what nobody ever tells you is its at 4500rmp which is frickin useless off road...

Apparently you know nothing about ecoboost engines,

• Like 2

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Apparently you know nothing about ecoboost engines,

The torque pull hits around 3000rpm (its a dinky engine afterall)....off road i would prefer 2000rpm (v6)...eco torque curve not exactly flat and constant (wahta u expect with a turbo..they hit)...the eco with its quick/felt acceleration in a small engine is suited for mustang buyers who want decent return on mpg  (i will mention ranger buyers so they dont feel left out)....bronc needs v6 nat aspirated engine with pull felt at 2000rpm and a fairly flat/constant torque pull...eco works fine for the slab...not arguing its merits...probably not best choice off road but heep owners argue over turbo or v6 as can future baby bronc buyers (if ford gives a v6 nat aspirated)

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Hmm, hybrid Bronco or manual transmission Bronco

damn, that's going to be a tough choice 

Can someone explain to me what the advantages of a manual would be in an off-road suv? I've driven a stick enough to steal one but not enough to drive it well ?

I need to find a car to practice with and git good, but I'd be willing to consider a manual if Ford does indeed offer it.

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

I'm still pulling for a V8, but that sounds awesome.  I think my 351w has around 200HP ☠️

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, probowler said:

Can someone explain to me what the advantages of a manual would be in an off-road suv? I've driven a stick enough to steal one but not enough to drive it well ?

I need to find a car to practice with and git good, but I'd be willing to consider a manual if Ford does indeed offer it.

None (not withstanding downhill engine braking)..but the argument fills the rag mags....for old skol i would go with grind your own gears...fords auto debacle further exaserbated why never to buy auto....the whole current issue with auto is mpg....they simply removed the inept drivers by putting in the auto....mazda had manual..ford refused...i bought mazda

That assumes the driver understands the concept of a manual and does not run down the highway in 4th gear at 75 when they should be in 6th......best way to eliminate that issue is to dump manual and force everybody into the auto (big brother is real)...it was me buying the mazda wasn't it

1 hour ago, probowler said:

No clue, I just prefer driving a manual. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stampede.Offroad said:

I hope it has more on the low end, and not just another overdrive gear. 

More overdrive could work, but it would mean a more extreme gearing in the diff to accomplish the same thing.  Just a question of which is cheaper or easier for Ford, assuming that's even what they want to accomplish with it, instead of trying to make their manual a hypermiler.

I said super low first gear, if it just more overdrives I would have said that.

23 hours ago, akirby said:

And that's exactly why I expect something to be available - no way they leave that to the aftermarket especially when the parts should fit both Ranger and Bronco.

You know, my first thought is that there's no way Ford will spend dollars to chase pennies, other than to add it to the Ford Performance catalog. This Mod Center that Fuzzy confirmed, well, that does change things, doesn't it? I don't know if Ford will want to go through the expense of the safety certifications, etc, but at least that eliminates the assembly line-related costs.

18 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

So this is Ford anticipating more activity in the mod area, let’s hope so anyway 

I couldn't honestly tell you. That's a department of Final assembly and it's treated like a separate plant (final/paint and Body/Stamping) as far as the company is concerned. It's complicated. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo
  • Like 1