Bronco and Bronco Sport World Premier July 13th!!

4 minutes ago, Stampede.Offroad said:

That's the point, we don't know.  But I can look at what Ford is doing now, what terminology they use for that, and make a reasonable assumption that if they use the same word it will mean the same kind of device.

Yes, yet you think it's going to have an Ecosport style tailgate on it. Where did you come up with that?

5 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

Yes, yet you think it's going to have an Ecosport style tailgate on it. Where did you come up with that?

Ford refers to the Bronco as having a "swinggate" in the recent union documents, and the EcoSport has a rear door referred to as a swinggate.  If the Bronco was going to have a device similar to the classic EB or FSB, I would expect it to use a term similar to the pickups, "tailgate", but that isn't how they worded it -- Ranger in the same document explicitly has a different term, tailgate. 

If the 3rd/5th door of the Bronco was going to function substantially mechanically differently or have a substantially different form factor, I would have expected it to have a term that differentiated it from the EcoSport's "swinggate".  For example the Expedition, Edge etc have a "liftgate", while its form is similar to the swinggate, it operates differently, so it gets a different term.

1500135651_unionagreement1.thumb.png.0546e9dcae57549260caaf85a5ba64ad.png

swinggate.png.773d86f9b0f1ee93b3c12d5c84173768.png

.tailgate.thumb.png.3e6757073925a4ce557ec3e8af89f14e.png

What’s the problem with the swing gate? It’s easier to reach things inside vs a tailgate. I can open it in my garage and not worry about it hitting anything above the vehicle vs the lift gate, and it’s probably much cheaper to engineer and implement.

i personally wish they’d copy the 90’s bronco where the rear window rolls down into the tailgate, but take it a step further and implement the ridgeline tailgate that can swing open or fold down.

Edited by T-dubz

Bronc needs a tailgate and not some piece of suburban swing-gate crap..who the hell in design decided to even incorperate such a thing on the bronc...we want something to compete with the wrongler...all have enuff of the city crap suv station wagons on the lot now...

Edited by snooter

34 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

What’s the problem with the swing gate? It’s easier to reach things inside vs a tailgate. I can open it in my garage and not worry about it hitting anything above the vehicle vs the lift gate, and it’s probably much cheaper to engineer and implement.

i personally wish they’d copy the 90’s bronco where the rear window rolls down into the tailgate, but take it a step further and implement the ridgeline tailgate that can swing open or fold down.

Or, in other words, take a cue from their own past with 60s/70s/80s Ford station wagons. When I was a kid, we had 1970 and '72 Mercury wagons that had such rear doors/tailgates.

17 minutes ago, AGR said:

Or, in other words, take a cue from their own past with 60s/70s/80s Ford station wagons. When I was a kid, we had 1970 and '72 Mercury wagons that had such rear doors/tailgates.

So this is the retro ford was talking about...i admit i missed fords version of what retro meant

36 minutes ago, AGR said:

Oh yeah, the "Magic Doorgate" was a big hit.  My mom loved that thing.  Came out in 1966, if my memory is correct.  Everybody eventually adopted it.  

Swing gates allow you to get closer to the load floor then a tailgate.  Makes more sense for SUVs where most of your cargo is big box crap.  Trying to reach over a tailgate while loading up the groceries and getting their slacks dirty won’t make many suburban owners very happy.  

7 hours ago, Anthony said:

Swing gates allow you to get closer to the load floor then a tailgate.  Makes more sense for SUVs where most of your cargo is big box crap.  Trying to reach over a tailgate while loading up the groceries and getting their slacks dirty won’t make many suburban owners very happy.  

The cargo space of a Bronco is likely to be fairly small, in either 2 or 4 door configuration.  Having a tailgate that expands that functional space appeals to most people, and it is the classic/heritage design.

573441451_3-5doortailgate.jpg.35fffda2cca94543f8b52d7f6143d228.jpg1265320846_3-5doorClassicTailgate2.thumb.png.57ededc1145e300905ecace2a58d791b.png

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stampede.Offroad said:

The cargo space of a Bronco is likely to be fairly small, in either 2 or 4 door configuration.  Having a tailgate that expands that functional space appeals to most people, and it is the classic/heritage design.

573441451_3-5doortailgate.jpg.35fffda2cca94543f8b52d7f6143d228.jpg1265320846_3-5doorClassicTailgate2.thumb.png.57ededc1145e300905ecace2a58d791b.png

This is exactly what I want. I drive a 94 Bronco EB and I often just pull the tailgate down, sit lay or sprawl out with my back against the rear seat back, play some music and smoke. A multifunctional gate will be nice too!

2 hours ago, Stampede.Offroad said:

Heritage is fine, but you gotta ask yourself why nobody really makes that design anymore in an SUV.  

31 minutes ago, sullynd said:

My old 83 Caprice Wagon had a power rear window, and a tailgate that could fold down, or swing out. Why not that?

ebay602739.jpg

chevrolet-caprice-classic-wagon-03.jpg

I like it. Fiat Toro has a similar feature but the swinggate is separeated in two doors opening in the middle. That takes less space to open.

Some full size GM wagons from the 70’s offered this clamshell tailgate - glass disappeared into the roof and the bottom section slid underneath. (I know this has nothing to do with Bronco but it shows some of the “interesting” engineering that went wagons).image.jpeg.5005e123bd8141ebc8d3e168c9194424.jpeg

image.jpeg.5005e123bd8141ebc8d3e168c9194424.jpeg

• Like 1