Ford's former violent, thuggish relationship with UAW has completely flipped

1 hour ago, probowler said:

Ford is moving engine production out of America??

That is disappointing ?

Nobody cares about an engine plant....its finished product that should worry you...u can pack a rail car full of engines.....that whole agreement was a joke..ford was happy to shutter romeo engine...one less plant to deal with...

Edited by snooter

7 hours ago, snooter said:

Nobody cares about an engine plant....its finished product that should worry you...u can pack a rail car full of engines.....that whole agreement was a joke..ford was happy to shutter romeo engine...one less plant to deal with...

Uh... I care. 

I feel it important to purchase American made products and support American manufacturing. An American manufactured car with an engine built in america using parts also made in america supports far more American families than if all those components are imported. 

I realize most parts are made oversees but I would like to see that change. 

Im glad to hear from fuzzy that there is a new plant only 14 miles away continuing production.

It is still a shame that the factory is closing, i would love to see Ford sales grow and increase their production capacity to meet increased demand, and hire even more workers. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, probowler said:

Im glad to hear from fuzzy that there is a new plant only 14 miles away continuing production.

To clarify, it's not a new plant. Van Dyke transmission is getting new work.

As for what happens with 6.2 production is anyone's guess. I suspect now that the new 7.3 is out it's days are numbered though. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jpd80 said:

True, the 6,2 is living on borrowed time once buyers realise just how good the 7.3 is.

Not entirely convinced its on borrowed time..the 6.2 will offer somewhat better payload and mpg...people already refering to the 7.3 as meaning 7.3mpg...what kills the 6.2 is 4.30 gears for towing (applicable to trailer weight) where the 7.3 may get by with a higher numerical gearing when towing which would increase mpg...i have not ran thru the tow specs though on the 7.3...

14 hours ago, snooter said:

Not entirely convinced its on borrowed time..the 6.2 will offer somewhat better payload and mpg...people already refering to the 7.3 as meaning 7.3mpg...what kills the 6.2 is 4.30 gears for towing (applicable to trailer weight) where the 7.3 may get by with a higher numerical gearing when towing which would increase mpg...i have not ran thru the tow specs though on the 7.3...

The fact that Ford is closing Romeo tells us that the SOHC 6.2 is done, let’s see what the actual reviews say about the 7.3 and it’s economy. It may we’ll be that a bigger more relaxed engine with taller gearing actually gives similar fuel economy as te 6.2 or, perhaps Ford has asmaller version of the 7.3 planned 

Edited by jpd80

8 minutes ago, akirby said:

With all the new technology I'd be shocked if the 7.3 didn't get better mpg than the 6.2 right out of the gate.

Ford has been selling up the virtues of Ecoboost for so long that Super Duty buyers have forgotten the importance of sufficient engine capacity when you’re dealing with a truck that’s much heavier to begin with.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, jpd80 said:

The fact that Ford is closing Romeo tells us that the SOHC 6.2 is done, let’s see what the actual reviews say about the 7.3 and it’s economy. It may we’ll be that a bigger more relaxed engine with taller gearing actually gives similar fuel economy as te 6.2 or, perhaps Ford has asmaller version of the 7.3 planned 

Well that kinda sucks..woulda been nice to have at least 3 choices of engines...i still see most gassers buying 4:30 gearing but the real factor in all of this is the new 10speed...

9 minutes ago, snooter said:

Well that kinda sucks..woulda been nice to have at least 3 choices of engines...i still see most gassers buying 4:30 gearing but the real factor in all of this is the new 10speed...

This is the F150 version, but the top 3 gears are all "overdrive", so 4:30's aren't as extreme as they once were.

HRG

F150 10-speed.JPG

1 hour ago, snooter said:

Well that kinda sucks..woulda been nice to have at least 3 choices of engines

Who is going to order a smaller engine with less power and worse fuel economy?  It would be stupid to keep both if that's the case (which I'm convinced will be the case).

15 hours ago, snooter said:

You may still have that, just because Romeo is closing does not mean that Ford has no plan to do more with the 7.3 architecture. Heck, they might even do a smaller capacity pushrod 6.2 that works great in SD, we just don’t know yet.