New to me F150

jpvbs

I've been away from BON for awhile, but thought I'd share my latest acquisition, a 1996 F150.  

Having spent most of its life in the rust belt, it is pretty rusty, but compared to a lot of trucks in this generation, it isn't too bad.  

Basic specs:

Single cab

8' bed

4x4

5.0 V8

5 speed manual (!!!)

247k mile

Paid $1000

So it is really well used, but the positive thing is that the former owner is a coworker of mine and he ordered it to his specs and bought it new.  It was his baby and even though he could easily afford a new one (be did finally buy a 2019 F150), he put the money into replacing and upgrading everything on this one.  When I picked it up we spent an hour over and under the truck pointing out everything he had replaced, down to the springs behind the cruise control buttons.  He also just put brand new Cooper mud tires on it this summer.

It runs, drives, and brakes great.  I'm not planning to use it more than for occasional dog hauling and miscellaneous chores.  I expect it will work great for that.

IMG_20191005_134124855.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Congrats!  Great old truck from the days of creative two-toned body colors.  No sense in buying a $50k truck when you need a $1k truck! 

Something very cool about an old truck - I just picked up a '98 with 180k this past summer and have grown very fond of it, in spite of having to do all those small but tedious repairs like broken vacuum lines and dash back-lighting that you just have to do on an old vehicle. 

• Like 1

When I met my wife, she owned a 1992 F250 with the 7.3 Diesel (Non-Powerstroke).  It was a Regular Cab, Manual and 2WD.  We have since purchased a few SuperDuties, but there are times where we wish we had still kept the truck! It was a pulling machine:shift:

• 4 months later...