Ford Said to be Shifting Plans for Flat Rock (again...)

Footballfan

On 11/7/2019 at 11:25 AM, AH-HA said:

That's a big negatory. CD6 has been abandoned and only left for Explorer/Aviator. Mustang soldiers on staying on the current platform next go around. D5 is the new Fox body.

Once again, Flat Rock was not informed of changing plans. Last spring and early summer we were told it was still a go for the CD6 platform. We don't keep up breaking info on Stamping and Body platforms, and they never bothered to tell us they changed their minds.. just like when losing the first small all electric Lincoln SUV, the autonomous vehicles or the second mid size all electric SUV (or hell, even the new paint shop!). Thanks for the update that Ford didn't want to tell us!

On 11/7/2019 at 11:52 AM, Assimilator said:

Mustang is not getting the CD6 platform, but is sharing the "architecture" which is basically an extensive parts list.  Platforms are somewhat disambiguated with "Architecture" taking their place, but it's not the same.

It looks like Explorer/Aviator will be the only ones using the CD6 platform, originally it was conceived as a platform for Continental and Mustang but it was scrapped.  All other midsize crossovers are using their FWD C2 platform and architecture - Not to mention the BEV architecture which will become a big part of their performance and premium range which CD6 was intended to cover. 

I'm not sure what Widebody means in this case, it's not something I've seen used in recent decades beyond wide track modifications.

Mustang is getting a thoroughly redesigned platform however, with Hybrid V8 power a big part of that equation.  The fact it doesn't use CD6 really means nothing ultimately.  

The widebody Mustang was supposed to be a little wider with flared wheel wells like the Hellcats have that version. CD6 meant it could be built anywhere that platform was in use. If Ford is threatening to close Flat Rock and move the Mustang, why would they keep that platform unique and make it harder for any other plant to build it? Or will the new Mustang share a different platform with other new models in 3 years? It supposedly will be available in AWD in 2023, and will have share other platforms anyway.

7 hours ago, Assimilator said:

As far as I know, they are not threatening to move it, they just announced an investment for the all-new Mustang at FRAP.  I don't have any indications that the 2023 Mustang is going AWD, but I'll keep my eyes peeled.  

The investment was for all current derivatives of the Mustang for the next 4 years, NOT for all all new model in 2023. $250 million would not cover the redesign, not even close! AWD was to be used on the CD6 platform, but if the Mustang isn't getting built on that platform, AWD is less likely, but could still happen.

On 11/11/2019 at 5:55 PM, deflep1 said:

The investment was for all current derivatives of the Mustang for the next 4 years, NOT for all all new model in 2023. $250 million would not cover the redesign, not even close! AWD was to be used on the CD6 platform, but if the Mustang isn't getting built on that platform, AWD is less likely, but could still happen.

I think the $250M is just for the retooling not the design costs (which are probably 3 to 4 times that amount).  Keep in mind that Woodhaven and MAP are adding stampings for the Mustang as well. 

On 11/8/2019 at 4:44 PM, deflep1 said:

Once again, Flat Rock was not informed of changing plans. Last spring and early summer we were told it was still a go for the CD6 platform. We don't keep up breaking info on Stamping and Body platforms, and they never bothered to tell us they changed their minds.. just like when losing the first small all electric Lincoln SUV, the autonomous vehicles or the second mid size all electric SUV (or hell, even the new paint shop!). Thanks for the update that Ford didn't want to tell us!

A good question that I feel the UAW failed to address in this contract is why FRAP was supposedly the plant of the future with billions of dollars of proposed investment up to six months ago, now it is begging for product.  This happened twice in two years.  What went wrong in these instances, or is Ford management just that undecided? 

Edited by Footballfan

• 1 month later...

One change at FRAP is apparent at CAP for sure, got the FRAP plant manager moving his family to the windy city.

I can almost hear it, I`m here to implement a change... we will put CAP back in its rightful place as a world class facility... one team, one Ford...

1 hour ago, Decker said:

One change at FRAP is apparent at CAP for sure, got the FRAP plant manager moving his family to the windy city.

I can almost hear it, I`m here to implement a change... we will put CAP back in its rightful place as a world class facility... one team, one Ford...

The new plant manager`s office is being re-decorated right now.When he gets to CAP he will walk around and let all  the salaried workers and union reps kiss his ring.How  many of these guys have you seen come and go?It must be nice.He probably cant wait to get to work everyday. He will take all the credit if things go well and  he can shift all the blame onto production,vendors and the trades when things go wrong!

Edited by Fatso
  • Like 1