Ford Is Said to Shift Plans Again for Underused Mustang Plant

From the Detroit Free Press.  A list of plant-by-plant investment commitments.  Flat Rock is getting 250 million for "an all-new Mustang, and derivates," and keeping Lincoln Continental production through its product cycle.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/11/01/ford-uaw-product-investments-dearborn-chicago-flat-rock/4127014002/

• Like 1

Not sure why Ford would move those BEVs from FlatRock to the Ohio truck plant, unless those BEVs don't fit in the 4-Year timeline of this contract.  

I also notice Ford doesn't mention HEVs for MAP, but does for all the other plants, which again confirms for me that the Bronco Hybrid has been shelved beyond the 4-Year scope of this contract.

It also confirms that so much of Ford's next round of new products and nameplates are indeed coming out of those two Mexico plants. (Mach E, Bronco Scout, Transit Connect AV, Compact Pickup, Fusion Crossover).  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Not sure why Ford would move those BEVs from FlatRock to the Ohio truck plant, unless those BEVs don't fit in the 4-Year timeline of this contract.  

I also notice Ford doesn't mention HEVs for MAP, but does for all the other plants, which again confirms for me that the Bronco Hybrid has been shelved beyond the 4-Year scope of this contract.

Except the Bronco hybrid is not called a hybrid 

At Ford, another day, another plan.

i wonder if they’ve now set aside BEV crossovers for the Rivian based truck.....that would seem to fit better with Avon Lake.

it also makes me wonder what Ford is planning for Flat Rock if this rumour is true

Edited by jpd80

If the Lincoln-based Rivian is built anywhere, it is going to built in Illinois with the rest of Rivian's products.

The mid-size BEVs will not move to Avon Lake. That is a truck plant.

Also its TWO vehicles. Avon Lake is confirmed for ONE new product.

Either the BEVs won't start production at the Flat Rock plant in this contract...OR Ford is moving them to Oakville to built along with the non-BEV Edge and Nautilus. The latter makes a heck of a lot more sense than them being built a truck plant.

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

No. Rivian owns the former Mitsubishi plant in Illinois. That's where those will be built. 

I know Rivian owns the Mitsubishi plant (I live in Illinois).  That plant will be building the truck, SUV, and probably a Ford vehicle. 

11 hours ago, Assimilator said:

It also confirms that so much of Ford's next round of new products and nameplates are indeed coming out of those two Mexico plants. (Mach E, Bronco Scout, Transit Connect AV, Compact Pickup, Fusion Crossover).  

I am hoping one or more of these products make their way up to Flat Rock.  The Scout, compact pickup and Fusion crossover are potential big sellers. 

No mention in that "full list" of the Windsor/Essex plant that builds the Coyote V8?? (I think I'm right in saying that?)

It's GREAT news to see "all new Mustang" in print (even if timescales are still unknown)........and I'm confident the V8 will still be around for a while, but just wonder why it doesn't make the list. Or would it be moving to Dearborn Engine where it states "new engine will be added"?

4 hours ago, Dequindre said:

I hope Ford isn't blind enough to try and close Flat Rock in 4 years. GM took quite a bit of flack for their plant closures. 

There isn’t really a reason to-Ford needs space to build products-it just needs to figure out what to build there. There is a steering committee formed with the UAW to work on that subject. I’m sure there are some changes and adjustments that Ford is looking at with the way the market is going. 

The big issue is how fast BEVs are going to take off in the market. I’m wondering if the mid sized CUVs are getting pulled back and what Ohio is getting is something completely different BEV wise. It makes no sense to have two Mid size CUVs at this point. 

• Like 2

The unanswered question for me is "Mustang and derivatives." What are "derivatives"? Are they just talking about Mustang trim levels like GT350. GT500, Mach 1, etc, or something else, like a 4 door Mustang/Torino/whatever and/or Zephyr/Mark IX?

15 minutes ago, AGR said:

The unanswered question for me is "Mustang and derivatives." What are "derivatives"? Are they just talking about Mustang trim levels like GT350. GT500, Mach 1, etc, or something else, like a 4 door Mustang/Torino/whatever and/or Zephyr/Mark IX?

Technically speaking the GT350/500 are considered derivatives but I'm not so sure that's what they're talking about.