Ford Is Said to Shift Plans Again for Underused Mustang Plant

On 11/2/2019 at 4:03 PM, ausrutherford said:

If the Lincoln-based Rivian is built anywhere, it is going to built in Illinois with the rest of Rivian's products.

The mid-size BEVs will not move to Avon Lake. That is a truck plant.

Also its TWO vehicles. Avon Lake is confirmed for ONE new product.

Either the BEVs won't start production at the Flat Rock plant in this contract...OR Ford is moving them to Oakville to built along with the non-BEV Edge and Nautilus. The latter makes a heck of a lot more sense than them being built a truck plant.

This makes sense to me.

19 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

There isn’t really a reason to-Ford needs space to build products-it just needs to figure out what to build there. There is a steering committee formed with the UAW to work on that subject. I’m sure there are some changes and adjustments that Ford is looking at with the way the market is going. 

The big issue is how fast BEVs are going to take off in the market. I’m wondering if the mid sized CUVs are getting pulled back and what Ohio is getting is something completely different BEV wise. It makes no sense to have two Mid size CUVs at this point. 

I can't see any non truck/commercial product going to Ohio.  It wouldn't make much sense.

27 minutes ago, twintornados said:

OHAP is not limited to truck production, they built SUV's and mini-vans too. 

From what I understand, building the heavy trucks is a lot more manual than what it takes to build a Super Duty or F-150. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

So how where they running Mazdas and Fords at the same plant? was it two different trim lines or something?

If anything there was probably separated lines in body shop that consolidated near the end. If you look at videos of Kentucky Truck you should see what I'm talking about, the SUV and truck lines are separate and consolidate near the end.  It's probably very similar now, but I never went into the body shop while I was there. It helps that there's some commonality between Mustang and the CD4 platform. 

On 11/2/2019 at 11:39 AM, Assimilator said:

Looked at a new lime green gt stang today...beautiful...$49k price tag...yep i can understand why the mustang plant is underused....no wonder they cant sell any..beautiful car though for the gray hairs....it was nearly $5k more than the f350 i spec'd out

Edited by snooter

21 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

If that happened, where would the Mustang gone?

On a suv or anything else....all they care about is the nameplate..hatchett would luv to get rid of the mustang and keep only the nameplate...heck nearly every dealer would welcome it as well...oh well...ram has a nice looking rig as well...

Edited by snooter

2 hours ago, snooter said:

Looked at a new lime green gt stang today...beautiful...$49k price tag...yep i can understand why the mustang plant is underused....no wonder they cant sell any..beautiful car though for the gray hairs....it was nearly $5k more than the f350 i spec'd out

I'd like to see your build list for that F350. The CHEAPEST one I can find within a hundred miles is less than $3K under $49K.

HRG

24 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'd like to see your build list for that F350. The CHEAPEST one I can find within a hundred miles is less than $3K under $49K.

HRG

Base xl 350 fx4...few options i want...vinyl interior.....just a plain radio....just a truck being a truck..nothing fancy

Edited by snooter

29 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Ford just cancelled- again- a replacement paint shop for FRAP ☹️

http://www.deq.state.mi.us/aps/cwerp.shtml

I would like to know why a plant that was stated for billions in investment and new product as early as six months ago is now number one on Ford's _hit list?

Great, my house gets to smell like cat piss when the windows are open for a while longer ?

20 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

Perhaps MAP?  I don't know how much of the old Wayne Assembly side is open however. 

Not a chance. There's a part of Wayne Assembly that MAP ISA uses that builds parts for other plants (F-Series dash panels and Escape/Corsair floor pans namely. Theres a couple more lines in there). The rest as of this moment is under construction as that is turning into parts sequencing (again), new/expanded MOD Center, and something that kinda got lost in the madness of the new contract, the new autonomous vehicle upfit center. I haven't been over there in a few months but I'm pretty sure the only part that hasn't been touched is the old paint shop. Besides, the old Wayne body shop is now used for Ranger (and soon Bronco) sub assemblies. 

Closing FRAP is rather concerning overall...looking at Ford's future they currently have three plants that aren't being fully utilized-

FRAP-Mustang and Continental  which is only about 150K per year if that

OAP-Edge and Nautilus 150-200K units a year depending on worldwide sales

Cuautitlán- Mach E production upcoming 40K units for NA-maybe 60K world wide?

Apparently Ford has excess production capabilities and isn't expecting to grow its market share going by this. 

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Closing FRAP is rather concerning overall...looking at Ford's future they currently have three plants that aren't being fully utilized-

FRAP-Mustang and Continental  which is only about 150K per year if that

OAP-Edge and Nautilus 150-200K units a year depending on worldwide sales

Cuautitlán- Mach E production upcoming 40K units for NA-maybe 60K world wide?

Apparently Ford has excess production capabilities and isn't expecting to grow its market share going by this. 

It'll be interesting to see how they juggle things.  It seems like plans keep changing too.

It's also quite possible the Larger BEVs are also going to Mexico instead of FRAP, especially since they are based on the Mach E architecture.  Not something they will disclose now obviously and they won't have to for awhile.  Oakville is also possible.  But I think the US has either lost these products to Canada or Mexico, or they are simply beyond the 4-Year contract which would mean the products are delayed (hopefully not).  It's also possible the product plans have changed in relation to the Rivian investment, at least on Lincoln's side.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1