Flatrock plant

1 hour ago, tzach said:

Stupid article.  All of the vehicle types he lists as being given up still exist.  Yes sales are less for the Mustang but the Mach E is using it to gain a foothold not replacing it

TTAC only exists to make MotorTrend look respectable. If either of them tell you water's wet, feel it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, jpd80 said:

I think it comes from over reading information on the internet, 

the media needs to be treated like chickens,

fed regularly  on the right stuff.....

The right stuff doesn't get clicks/views. Make it crazy or even better get an angry emotional response and you have gold. Entertainment and engagement is different than actual boring factual News, that doesn't pay the bills in the world we live in. 

4 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

The right stuff doesn't get clicks/views. Make it crazy or even better get an angry emotional response and you have gold. Entertainment and engagement is different than actual boring factual News, that doesn't pay the bills in the world we live in. 

Especially when manufacturers don’t take those website seriously in the first place.

Well with only 5000 units a month, many rentals, I know cause I rent them all the time, and Continental going away, you all think flat Rock will stay open past 2024?!   I don't mean to be negative I'm just being realistic.  Camaro is all but officially canceled.  If PSA - FCA doesn't decide to invest in Dodge, Challenger future is questionable.  So. That leaves Mustang alone again past 2025.  Will it survive as anything that looks and feels like a pony car?  I am willing to buy an EV Mustang as long as it's a 2 door coupe RWD and looks like a Mustang.  If it's an SUV coupe AWD with 5 doors it's not a Mustang.  I really wonder if a Ford 2 door RWD coupe will exist in the late 20's.  If flatrock does not get more product before 2024 then my guess is no. I hope I am wrong.  

Its more like 10k units a month (circa 120k Mustang sales WORLDWIDE).

If Camaro and Challenger die, Mustang will have the pony car market to itself again. I hope that doesn't happen, because competition improves the breed. I'm happy for Mustang to adapt to a changing pony car market like its always done. Hybrid or all electric? Bring it on. BUT.....keep it a pony car like its always been, with a long hood, short deck and 2+2 seating. Mustang never has been and never should be a 5-door 5-seat SUV. The recent Lithium concept at SEMA is where Ford should be heading with any "Mustang inspired" electric vehicle.

If there aren't enough sales to justify a PROPER pony car, then let it die. But I think there's life left in the pony yet.

I think people are over reacting to this-the Mustang is profitable (at least as far as we know) and its not like Ford doesn't have other places it could possible produce the Mustang at if Flat Rock gets closed. 

I don't Ford would be stupid enough to get rid of its most well known nameplate after the F-series, just because. The Mustang family is supposed to grow, going by Fords comments, so I'm not too concerned about it, outside of the livelihoods of the Flat Rock workers. 

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I think people are over reacting to this-the Mustang is profitable (at least as far as we know) and its not like Ford doesn't have other places it could possible produce the Mustang at if Flat Rock gets closed. 

I don't Ford would be stupid enough to get rid of its most well known nameplate after the F-series, just because. The Mustang family is supposed to grow, going by Fords comments, so I'm not too concerned about it, outside of the livelihoods of the Flat Rock workers. 

I think Mustang would be a very hard vehicle for Ford to transfer elsewhere.  I do not see it ever being built anywhere besides the United States and probably SE Michigan.  I think the more likely scenario is that the nameplate will grow to potentially add CUV and sedan variants. 

13 hours ago, mustangguy95 said:

I know the Continental may be ending production soon. I heard the new Mustang-inspired EV may be produced at Flat Rock as well.

I think that Ford wants to do things on the cheap again- in this instance not reconfiguring FRAP and building a new paint shop  to produce the taller bodies of SUVs.  I think that potentially this would lead to FRAP building the Fusion "white space" vehicle that has been talked about in addition to Mustang and its variants.   

38 minutes ago, Footballfan said:

I think that Ford wants to do things on the cheap again- in this instance not reconfiguring FRAP and building a new paint shop  to produce the taller bodies of SUVs.  I think that potentially this would lead to FRAP building the Fusion "white space" vehicle that has been talked about in addition to Mustang and its variants.   

If they can't go taller, maybe adding a Capri for worldwide, and a Thunderbird for America on a modified Mustang platform would be the answer.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tico said:

Well with only 5000 units a month, many rentals, I know cause I rent them all the time, and Continental going away, you all think flat Rock will stay open past 2024?!   I don't mean to be negative I'm just being realistic.  Camaro is all but officially canceled.  If PSA - FCA doesn't decide to invest in Dodge, Challenger future is questionable.  So. That leaves Mustang alone again past 2025.  Will it survive as anything that looks and feels like a pony car?  I am willing to buy an EV Mustang as long as it's a 2 door coupe RWD and looks like a Mustang.  If it's an SUV coupe AWD with 5 doors it's not a Mustang.  I really wonder if a Ford 2 door RWD coupe will exist in the late 20's.  If flatrock does not get more product before 2024 then my guess is no. I hope I am wrong.  

I can tell you that internal sources say that Mustang is going nowhere it and Bronco are regarded as iconic heritage vehicles.

10 hours ago, Footballfan said:

I think Mustang would be a very hard vehicle for Ford to transfer elsewhere.  I do not see it ever being built anywhere besides the United States and probably SE Michigan. 

I don't think it's tied to Michigan (it used to be built in several plants around the country), but I don't see how they could build it outside the US. They would get absolutely hammered over that. 

I do think they would need the Ford Family on board to move it anywhere, though. Mustang isn't just a car; it's a legacy. That's the kind of thing that matters when your name is on the company.

The contract said Mustang and "derivatives". Would a Mustang Torino (or Mach 4) sedan be a derivative??

I would think that the Thunderbird name would be used on a big EV sedan, to go alongside a next generation Continental.

Ford needs cars; Gen Xers and millennials are buying CUVs, but Gen Z is apparently interested in sedans, because, well, Gen Xers and millennials...

There is no next gen Continental, at least for now.  The problem with cars is the volume cars have become commodities where lowest price wins and the higher priced cars with decent profit have such small volumes that it’s just difficult to make any money on them.