• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
CGIron

2.7 l EcoBoost in a Mustang with 540 hp?

Reddit.com

Why not?

In 2019, according to TFL truck tuners have been able to push 540 wheel horsepower, 550lbft wheel torque out of a 2018 2.7 Ecoboost with just a new turbo, intake, exhaust, tune and e30 fuel. And remember, the 2nd gen 2.7 Ecoboost has only been out for a year, replacing the old 2.7 in the 2019 model year.

Edited by CGIron

7 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Because there's very little point 

To be fair it would give better weight distribution, and if it was OEM it would have less tax in countries that tax displacement or CO for the Mustang.   

9 hours ago, CGIron said:

What you suggest can be done to any of the Ecoboost motors, but I think I know why you prefer the 2.7L EB motor...

The engine is unique in the Ecoboost family in that it uses compacted graphite iron

Edited by twintornados

Um cause there’s a three litre version of the same Nano engine 

and it also comes as a PHEV

Edited by jpd80

CGIron,  in the past I had a thought the same as you  about the 2.7 EB V6 but then realised

that Ford needs product separation  between its lower EBs and upper GT Mustang

adding the 2.7 EB V6  blurs the lines and probably just canibalise existing GT sales.

EB V6 in a Mustang will likely eclipse 5.0 V8 in performance so Ford has no real incentive to go down that road and torpedo the business case for keeping the 5.0 in production. I fully expect Ford will evolve the V8 in Mustang to a hybrid to justify its continue relevance in the line up. 

Edited by bzcat

32 minutes ago, bzcat said:

EB V6 in a Mustang will likely eclipse 5.0 V8 in performance so Ford has no real incentive to go down that road and torpedo the business case for keeping the 5.0 in production. I fully expect Ford will evolve the V8 in Mustang to a hybrid to justify its continue relevance in the line up. 

Coyote hybrid is coming next year in Mustang and  F150.

First off, that's amazing. 

Secondly, unless the horsepower war is dead and gone, why not develop a turbocharged v8, and be even faster? 

24 minutes ago, probowler said:

First off, that's amazing. 

Secondly, unless the horsepower war is dead and gone, why not develop a turbocharged v8, and be even faster? 

They probably feel they can get better performance out of the hybrid setup for the same or less financial investment 

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They probably feel they can get better performance out of the hybrid setup for the same or less financial investment 

Also better fuel economy numbers for CAFE

Performance hybrids offer new era performance without the gas guzzler stigma

Edited by jpd80

I cannot wait for the Coyote Hybrid Mustang. The all electric "Lithium" concept Mustang at SEMA has shown that the majority of Mustang enthusiasts (based on Facebook Group and Forum feedback) will welcome and support an electric Mustang........so a Coyote with electric assist is the best of both world. If this is done right I might.........might be able to forgive Ford for putting a pony badge on Mach E ;)