U.S. DOJ Demands Ford Focus, Fiesta Documents

Our 2015 foci trans blew at 35k miles (80 year old female driver)..ford replaced for free...what irked the ever luvin crap out of me is they wanted a 

$150 diagnostic fee if it was not bad....ford knows the issue here so they tack on that diagnostic fee because they dont want to fix the issue...wonder how many left because they are on fixed income and can not afford the diagnostic fee....15 foci runs like new again after replacement

Ford had the solution in 2015 with the global Focus going to the  1.5 I-4  EB and JV 6F35  auto,

that will be the most damning evidence against them, Fields refused to change even though

Ford knew the suffering and pain buyers were going through

I can attest to the massive change in driving pleasure that came with this change,

it literally transforms the Focus, it's a night and day difference.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, twintornados said:

The DoJ demands documents...in related news water is wet.

Then I am very sorry for bringing it to your attention. Seems whenever I post on here, I either get poo-pooed, or the thread gets locked. I will post on this section no more. Good-Bye.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Xbar said:

Then I am very sorry for bringing it to your attention. Seems whenever I post on here, I either get poo-pooed, or the thread gets locked. I will post on this section no more. Good-Bye.

Don't get your panties in a bunch....not "poo-pooing" you...the fact that DoJ is demanding documents is laughable...

8 hours ago, Xbar said:

Thank you Xbar sir for sharing this link. Here is the Detroit Free Press article mentioned in that link. It is very comprehensive and well written. https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/ford/2019/11/06/ford-fiesta-focus-transmission-lawsuit-dps-6/2506025001/

In the subpoena obtained by the Free Press, DOJ trial attorney Blake Goebel requested all documents related to the following:
  • Whether the DPS6 PowerShift transmissions were defective, and whether the Ford Focus and/or Fiesta cars or vehicles incorporating those transmissions complied or did not comply with Ford’s express and/or implied warranties or other obligations under the law.
  • Whether Ford knew or would have known that the DPS6 PowerShift transmissions were defective and could not be repaired or made to comply with Ford’s warranty obligations and/or with the owner’s reasonable expectations.
  • Whether Ford informed Getrag, the supplier of the DPS6 PowerShift transmissions, that the transmissions were defective and could not be repaired; and whether Ford made monetary demands of Getrag as compensation for increased warranty costs for the transmissions.
  • Whether Ford and Getrag entered into any agreement — express or implied — whereby Getrag paid Ford money in compensation for Ford’s increased warranty costs for the DPS6 PowerShift transmission, including whether there was any agreement, desire or request to keep this monetary deal secret and/or nonpublic.
  • Whether Ford would or did affirmatively misrepresent to any third parties (e.g., consumers or governmental regulators, such as NHTSA, that there was nothing wrong with or defective about the transmissions.
  • Whether Ford concealed from owners and/or regulators that the transmission defect(s) and resulting “failure modes” (e.g.,  “unintended neutral”/”loss of motive power”) resulted in a dangerous condition(s) that could and/or did cause accidents, injuries and /or fatalities.
  • Whether Ford misrepresented to owners, other consumers, and/or regulators that there was nothing wrong with or defective about the DPS6 PowerShift transmissions.

Edited by rperez817
  • Like 1

As much as I hate that transmission and how Ford handled it, the only think I think is subpoena worthy is whether they hid something safety related from the government, and I don't believe these issues were safety related.

As long as the mfr honors the factory warranty it doesn't matter if the parts have a high failure rate.

Don't get me wrong - I think Ford should have extended the warranty to 150K miles and they should have replaced it with the 6F15 or 6F35.  I just don't think it's a legal issue.

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

I just don't think it's a legal issue.

This item could be one legal issue due to the safety implications.

• Whether Ford concealed from owners and/or regulators that the transmission defect(s) and resulting “failure modes” (e.g.,  “unintended neutral”/”loss of motive power”) resulted in a dangerous condition(s) that could and/or did cause accidents, injuries and /or fatalities.

Another possible legal issue in this case is fraud.

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

This item could be one legal issue due to the safety implications.

Another possible legal issue in this case is fraud.

Possible, yes, but I don't believe that's going to be the case.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

Possible, yes, but I don't believe that's going to be the case.

Well Ford better hope that is the case since that will cross a pretty hard line and one they have almost entirely avoided and that is why the DOJ wants to look at the info to make a decision either way. 

What they did knowing the trans wasn't ready for sale was  despicable and morally wrong

but I wonder if the DOJ will have a hard time proving criminality.

Maybe the strategy is to make a huge public stink over this in the hopes that Ford settles any

class actions quickly and quietly. Especially with lots of new products being revealed in the near future...

The most damning thing for Ford will be the global Focus and Fiesta changing transmissions in  2015,

Fields had an opportunity to move Ford Nth America away from the DPS6 but was too cheap to do it.

Had Ford acknowledged an unfix-able problem earlier and switched to the 6F auto, it would have

effectively avoided four years of angry customers and had a ready made fix for earlier Focus owners. 

6 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

This isn't a good precedent for Ford-this is the second transmission that isn't an automatic or manual transmission that has blown up in their faces from a 3rd party-first the CVT in the 500/Monentgo/Freestyle and now the DSP in the Fiesta/Focus. 

Other than the power split hybrid eCVT, Ford has not had much success engineering a trouble free automatic transmission of its own or in collaboration with partners like GM and Getrag.

16 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Other than the power split hybrid eCVT, Ford has not had much success engineering a trouble free automatic transmission of its own or in collaboration with partners like GM and Getrag.

Most of those other issues could be resolved and the gearboxes made to operate correctly for an

extended period of time, the Powershift DCT was a flawed design from get go but Fields decided

not to call out Getrag for it in public, so I think Ford took a lot of the criticism onto its shoulders......

shades of Firestone all over again.

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, rperez817 said:

Go back a few years.  The high-torque C6 tranny is legendary for it's performance and reliability.  

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

But yet its GM partner stuffed up the FWD 8 speed....hmmm Ford was the lead on the 10 speed RWD

12 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

But yet its GM partner stuffed up the FWD 8 speed....hmmm Ford was the lead on the 10 speed RWD

The nine speed used on the two litre Ecoboost, the two eight speed autos were developed by Ford from the 6Fs.

The eight speeds just skip second gear which isn't needed with Ecoboost. The seven speed auto used in the

Focus ST is just the eight speed skipping another gear.

32 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The nine speed used on the two litre Ecoboost, the two eight speed autos were developed by Ford from the 6Fs.

The eight speeds just skip second gear which isn't needed with Ecoboost. The seven speed auto used in the

Focus ST is just the eight speed skipping another gear.

Since when did the ST get an automatic?

10 hours ago, rperez817 said:

The 6R transmissions have been pretty bulletproof, and there's a metric boatload of them on the road.

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 2