Tesla pickup reveal Nov 21st

HotRunrGuy

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Quote from a friend of mine:

cybertruck: 90% more angles than the competition

i mean, this bitch is practically made of angles 

Remember the year that Ford decided to kill its formerly top-selling car, the Taurus, with a redesign they were proud to say was all ovals and lacked a single straight line?

This is ten times worse than that.

• Like 3

I kept waiting for the real truck to come out the entire presentation, but it never did. I thought this was a joke the whole time.

Looks aside, I kinda like the stainless steel. Don’t have to worry about door dings anymore. Or a drive by ?.

i think the angular look could work on a truck, but it’s gotta be something better than a giant triangle on wheels.

47 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

I kept waiting for the real truck to come out the entire presentation, but it never did. I thought this was a joke the whole time.

Ha ha...same here!  When he said "oh yea, one more thing" and brought out the ATV, I thought that's when the real truck was going to come out.

• Like 1

Motor Trend editors got to ride in Tesla's Cybertruck prototype. https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-ride-impressions

Not only did Motor Trend get unprecedented behind-the-scenes access to the Tesla Cybertruck's development, we were also the first automotive journalists in the world to go for a ride in Elon Musk's new polygonal pickup. It was a short ride—the whole ordeal was over in three minutes—but we learned a whole lot about what could be the future of the pickup truck as we know it.

Tesla's electric pickup rides high, significantly higher than the Model X we drove to the reveal. The interior of the cab is properly huge, due in part to the lack of a traditional transmission and driveshaft tunnel. That wacky triangular roof peaked just above my head in the front row and forward visibility seems on par with conventional gas-powered pickups. (And Tesla was kind enough to replace the windows after lead designer Franz von Holzhausen shattered them on stage.)

Hip point feels similar to the Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 and like the ZR2, the Cybertruck rides on colossal hella-knobby off-road tires. (The Tesla rocks 35-inchers.) Compared to the ride height and ground clearance of the Mustang Mach-E, this might as well be Grave Digger. With the compliance from all that tire sidewall and the Cybertruck's softly sprung air suspension, I barely noticed the speed bumps we rolled over.

I did notice a few interior rattles in this prototype (that I didn't notice in the electric Mustang Mach-E prototype) which may or may not make it to the production version given Tesla's less-than-stellar reputation for build quality. Other than that, I have nothing bad to say about my ride in the Cybertruck. Rock on, Elon.

Edited by rperez817

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

There was an article on Jalopnic about BEVs not needing to follow the stereotypical styling of cars that we’ve basically had for the past 70 years (I.e. grills etc). This is what happens when you take that advice. 

this is a serious dud. GM and Ford are laughing their way to the future bank with their BEV trucks. 

This thing looks horrid - like some offcast "future concept" from the early 90s.  Like a dustbuster.  Its amazing that a company that produced the Model S is going to make this hideous thing.

I just don't know who looks at that and thinks - YES - let's go with that.

• Like 2

I generally give Tesla credit for pushing the design envelope.  Some good ideas, some not so good.  But this looks like he took his kids drawing and said, "Yep, I'll design that".

First thought when I saw this was:

tenor.gif

Second thought was:

I don't think Ford can muck up the BEV F150 this bad.  Even while being coked out after an all night bender.

• Like 1

I'm thinking Elon couldn't handle another high volume product right now.......or something along those lines. He's already said if enough people didn't want it, he'd go a different direction. This will certainly buy him some time.....lol.

I'm a Tesla fan, not a fanboy, and I'm disappointed.

I might be into it once the design is actually final and doesn't look like something assembled in the metal shop out back. 

In terms of Specs, I don't know how F-150 BEV is going to compare, they certainly can't do it at these prices, not even close. 

Edited by Assimilator

10 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I might be into it once the design is actually final and doesn't look like something assembled in the metal shop out back. 

In terms of Specs, I don't know how F-150 BEV is going to compare, they certainly can't do it at these prices, not even close. 

Who's believing the prices?  Like the 35k Model 3's that no one buys?

9 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

This is the problem with Tesla.  He doesn't need to make a profit.  Or he hasn't up until now.  I'm sure that's for the lowest range but it's still probably losing money.   I think he's got another year to 18 months before the house of cards comes crashing down.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, akirby said:

This is the problem with Tesla.  He doesn't need to make a profit.  Or he hasn't up until now.  I'm sure that's for the lowest range but it's still probably losing money.   I think he's got another year to 18 months before the house of cards comes crashing down.

This is the annoying part of the problem.  As long as the circus leader can con investors to dump their money into them, this show can go on for a long time. You can say the same thing for Uber. Both are surviving on the history of Amazon since they lost money for years and are now a juggernaut.  I want it to crash and burn for many reasons. First and foremost, Musk and his" I can do anything I want with virtually no repercussions" mentality.  

11 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

This is the annoying part of the problem.  As long as the circus leader can con investors to dump their money into them, this show can go on for a long time. You can say the same thing for Uber. Both are surviving on the history of Amazon since they lost money for years and are now a juggernaut.  I want it to crash and burn for many reasons. First and foremost, Musk and his" I can do anything I want with virtually no repercussions" mentality.  

There's no problem here. If you don't like Tesla's business strategy, don't invest in the company. Or take a short position. If Tesla's products and services don't appeal to you, don't purchase them.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

There's no problem here. If you don't like Tesla's business strategy, don't invest in the company. Or take a short position. If Tesla's products and services don't appeal to you, don't purchase them.

You're missing the point as usual.  If he's undercutting the competition by $10K because he can afford to keep losing money, it's going to take sales and profit from all the other companies actually trying to stay in business.   They'll either close up shop (Rivian) or stop selling BEVs.   And that should concern any BEV fan.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Yes, I disagree with Tesla's business strategy. I don't invest or will not buy their products. That will work itself out in time. The problem I have with a lot of these "disruptor" companies is that they lie, cheat, break rules, all on the hyperbole of this great service or product. 

Nobody is saying that a Tesla doesn't have a well engineered powertrain. I don't think they can mass produce quality vehicles worth a damn though.I also believe they will never be profitable. If you take away the carbon credits, then the situation is worse. Yet, they are allowed to fluff up their balance sheet with that crap. I think it only gets worse as competition floods the market. 

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

You're missing the point as usual.  If he's undercutting the competition by $10K because he can afford to keep losing money, it's going to take sales and profit from all the other companies actually trying to stay in business.   They'll either close up shop (Rivian) or stop selling BEVs.   And that should concern any BEV fan.

Yes, by playing this shell game they are screwing with the market. And when the shell game ends, look at the destruction. That's my problem.

2 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

Yes, I disagree with Tesla's business strategy. I don't invest or will not buy their products. That will work itself out in time. The problem I have with a lot of these "disruptor" companies is that they lie, cheat, break rules, all on the hyperbole of this great service or product. 

Nobody is saying that a Tesla doesn't have a well engineered powertrain. I don't think they can mass produce quality vehicles worth a damn though.I also believe they will never be profitable. If you take away the carbon credits, then the situation is worse. Yet, they are allowed to fluff up their balance sheet with that crap. I think it only gets worse as competition floods the market. 

Yes, by playing this shell game they are screwing with the market. And when the shell game ends, look at the destruction. That's my problem.

Other car companies can accumulate carbon credit too.  In fact, if all the car companies were selling as many EV as Tesla, the credit will be worthless. That's how the carbon credit market is suppose to work. 

That being said, Tesla is no different than Netflix or Uber... they are all here to destroy value in their respectively industry. The capital market is kind to these companies until they are not... WeWork didn't even get out the IPO gate for example.