Tesla pickup reveal Nov 21st

HotRunrGuy

28 minutes ago, LoveTaurus said:

Is it going to have tough body panels? I am nervous they are going to kill people in other vehicles in crashes.

May be they were showing just a concept. May be they will surprise public with something else more normal looking closer to the sale date !?

Tough panels are going to kill people? ?  This car could have the toughest doors in the world, but it won't be any more dangerous than getting creamed by an H1, an F350, a semi truck or a school bus. Cars are dangerous, accept it or get off the road.

38 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I'll take 5!

BTW...

So suck it haters! ;)

And yeah, I'm kidding...counting a $100 deposit as an order is something only Elon Musk can get away with. 

Wow. But yeah, Model 3 required $1,000. I expect a lot of that will end up being refunded. But until then, Tesla gets a nice interest-free infusion of $146 million -- and for a vehicle still two years away from release.

What I just don't get is how it is technically and financially possible to produce as a $39,000 entry-level vehicle topping out at less than $70,000 for a 500-mile range, 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, with a tow rating of 14,000 lbs, all from an incredibly heavy vehicle with its body built with a (literally) rocket ship alloy of bullet-proof stainless steel. I don't think this is doable, but what do I know?

I've been musing over whether the true purpose of the unveiling may have been to make the real upcoming Riven, GM and Ford trucks seem to be overpriced underperformers and to suppress their sales. But that's probably too Machiavellian for Musk, who honestly seems to believe all of his own hype.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, probowler said:

Tough panels are going to kill people? ?  This car could have the toughest doors in the world, but it won't be any more dangerous than getting creamed by an H1, an F350, a semi truck or a school bus. Cars are dangerous, accept it or get off the road.

I believe you have misunderstand my thinking. I knew about the F350, semi truck or school bus, etc. That's why......

I like to see newly designed vehicles to not only adding protection to it's own occupants, but also include in mind reducing damages to other vehicles during crashes.

p.s. especially Tesla owners might take a nap on the hwy with autopilot on. ?

6 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

What do you guys make of that 'Tug of War' video with a F150 (didn't say what configuration)?  Even given it was staged to favor the Tesla, that looked horrible for the Ford-

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/25/tesla-cybertruck-pulls-ford-f-150/

I didn’t watch the video, but the picture I saw looked like a 2wd F150.  A tug of war like that is all about traction   The Tesla has much larger tires and is probably all wheel drive. 

2 hours ago, Kev-Mo said:

What do you guys make of that 'Tug of War' video with a F150 (didn't say what configuration)?  Even given it was staged to favor the Tesla, that looked horrible for the Ford-

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/25/tesla-cybertruck-pulls-ford-f-150/

Ford engineers working on the BEV F-150 will make sure that a "Tug of War" between that vehicle and Tesla Cybertuck will favor the Ford. Game on!

On 11/23/2019 at 6:56 PM, Gurgeh said:

What I just don't get is how it is technically and financially possible to produce as a $39,000 entry-level vehicle topping out at less than $70,000 for a 500-mile range, 0-60 in less than 3 seconds, with a tow rating of 14,000 lbs, all from an incredibly heavy vehicle with its body built with a (literally) rocket ship alloy of bullet-proof stainless steel. 

Cybertruck's design eliminates a lot of capital and operating costs associated with traditional pickup truck manufacturing. Plus Cybertruck electronics modules will probably have the same amazingly high level of system integration Model 3 does. That's another big cost advantage for Tesla.

Motor Trend explained the manufacturing cost advantages. https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing/

"The plusses for a folded stainless steel, origami truck are compelling: no paint shop and no expensive tooling. No Godzilla-scale stamping machines stomping it with multiple strikes. Without all that, the capital and environmental costs of using stainless steel body panels are small. And big attractions for a company that's sensitive to both types of green—cash and environmentalism. Just groove the steel where it's supposed to fold (avoiding cracks) and bend it on simple, cheap machines (like I was actually doing last week with my garage vise!)"

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rperez817 said:

AKA we are going to follow the example of a failed car company from nearly 40 years ago...this just reeks of cheapness. I'm sure a percentage will eat it up like rest of the Tesla zealots. 

21 hours ago, rperez817 said:

Cybertruck's design eliminates a lot of capital and operating costs associated with traditional pickup truck manufacturing. Plus Cybertruck electronics modules will probably have the same amazingly high level of system integration Model 3 does. That's another big cost advantage for Tesla.

Motor Trend explained the manufacturing cost advantages. https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesla-cybertruck-electric-pickup-engineering-manufacturing/

Aka, if we make a featureless, slab-sided design, we don't have to design anything.

• Like 1