Rivian/ Fully Charged interview

MY93SHO

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

It should be just as capable as any other 4 door pickup with a 5.5 or 5 foot bed, which is the vast majority of pickup sales today.

The bed is 55" front to back with the tailgate up, and 82" with the tailgate down. I'm unable to find a published width between the wheelwells.

HRG

24 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

The bed is 55" front to back with the tailgate up, and 82" with the tailgate down. I'm unable to find a published width between the wheelwells.

You don't need 4' between the wheelwells, just between the bedsides.   I used to carry 4x8 plywood sheets in my 95 Ranger. 

1 hour ago, novanglus said:

As much as I like the Rivian, it is as much a truck as a Honda Fridgeline.  I’d really call it a “lifestyle vehicle.”  The Bollinger B2, otoh, is actually a truck.  Let me know when that Rivian can haul 8ft sheet goods.

Who's going to pay $125,000 to haul plywood and sheetrock?

2 hours ago, novanglus said:

As much as I like the Rivian, it is as much a truck as a Honda Fridgeline.  I’d really call it a “lifestyle vehicle.”  The Bollinger B2, otoh, is actually a truck.  Let me know when that Rivian can haul 8ft sheet goods.

The Rivian will be much more capable and larger than a Ridgeline.

It's a luxury truck, like many trucks sold today, just as the F-150 BEV will likely be.  The real work truck for Ford is a Hybrid.  Eventually BEVs will be work trucks, but towing with BEVs is TERRIBLE for range. I'm actually not sure how they are going to crack that, it basically ensures Hybrids are the future for a big part of their Truck business while BEVs will be unique.  I am REALLY curious to see what their Hybrid powertrain can add to towing in the F-150 (They are Hybridizing the 3.5L EB), although it may not really be the main focus

The F-150 BEV gets a unique architecture, it's not just an upfitted F-150.  It's also quite a bit further out to the point it's likely arriving after Rivian, assuming Rivian doesn't delay.  But I bet it arrives around the same time as the Tesla Cybertruck.  

Edited by Assimilator

1 hour ago, MY93SHO said:

Who's going to pay $125,000 to haul plywood and sheetrock?

...someone who can afford it.  The top-line Rivian won’t be much cheaper.  You aren’t getting 180kWh of battery for less than $100k.

So, the price isn’t that different, but one is far more useful as a truck.  Hell, the B1 SUV probably has the same size “bed” as the Rivian (looked it up, it does 49” x 61” vs  unknown x 55”), and it is an SUV (and looks awesome).

They're definitely aimed at different customers.  Me, I want my EV truck to be an actual truck, which is why I would never buy anything with a 5-5.5ft bed.  Hell, you couldn’t fit a weed eater in a 5.5ft bed.

Like I said, I think the Rivian is cool as hell, but it really doesn’t fit in the truck category (a 55” bed is 4’ 7”, that is silly small, by comparison a Fridgeline is 49” x 60”).

Edited by novanglus

2 hours ago, akirby said:

You don't need 4' between the wheelwells, just between the bedsides.   I used to carry 4x8 plywood sheets in my 95 Ranger. 

..not well.  I have hauled a lot of lumber in my day, and hauling it in a compact truck is far from ideal.  (Owned several F150/250s, Rangers, and B4000s).

3 hours ago, novanglus said:

They're definitely aimed at different customers.  Me, I want my EV truck to be an actual truck, which is why I would never buy anything with a 5-5.5ft bed.  Hell, you couldn’t fit a weed eater in a 5.5ft bed.

You do realize that probably 75% if not more of all new half ton trucks come with a 5.5’ bed now.  

1 hour ago, akirby said:

You do realize that probably 75% if not more of all new half ton trucks come with a 5.5’ bed now.  

I’d wager that is a made up on the spot statistic.  No HD truck comes with a 5.5’ bed, period.  Only one super cab comes with a 5.5’ bed, the Raptor, and no reg cab comes with a 5.5’ bed.  If you expect me to believe 75% of F-Series sales are F150 crew cab short beds, I’ll need some proof. Note: Bollinger is not competing against half tons, it is a Class 3 10,000lb+ GVWR truck, unlike the Rivian, that doesn’t even qualify as a Sec 179 with that 4’7” bed.

Edited by novanglus

I’d wager that is a made up on the spot statistic.  No HD truck comes with a 5.5’ bed, period.  Only one super cab comes with a 5.5’ bed, the Raptor, and no reg cab comes with a 5.5’ bed.  If you expect me to believe 75% of F-Series sales are F150 crew cab short beds, I’ll need some proof. Note: Bollinger is not competing against half tons, it is a Class 3 10,000lb+ GVWR truck, unlike the Rivian, that doesn’t even qualify as a Sec 179 with that 4’7” bed.

With a projected towing capacity of 7,500 pounds, the Bollinger won’t compete very well as a Class 3 towing vehicle. 

2 hours ago, novanglus said:

We were talking about Rivian not Bollinger and I never said 75% of F series sales I said 75% of new half ton sales.  I probably should have said retail sales to exclude work trucks, but if you don’t think that the majority of F150 retail sales are crew cabs with 5.5’  beds then you haven’t been paying attention.  Same for Silverado and Ram.  You won’t find a 6.5’ bed crew cab unless you order it and you rarely see a Supercab.  Regular cabs are unheard of.

Just did a quick inventory search on 2020 F150 XLTs.  20 mile radius.

0 reg cabs

0 supercabs

61 crew cabs

1 x 6.5’ bed

60 x 5.5’ bed

Lariat/KR/Raptor/platinum/limited -    81

crew cab 5.5’ bed - 81

no supercabs

no 6.5’ beds

Any more questions?

Yet, somehow those supercab and regular cab trucks are at the lumberyard.  They must be aftermarket conversions.

(I’ve spend decades in construction/farm/contracting; the only guy in a 5.5” is the owner).

I don’t doubt there are plenty of mall trucks out there, but no one uses mall trucks for contracting unless they are pulling a construction trailer.

And, I just checked our inventory and show 100+ 6.5‘ and 8’ beds within 20miles of where I live, so my experience around here doesn’t match yours.

Edited by novanglus

Using Akirby's 2020 F150 XLT as a base, within 20 miles I see;

45   5.5' boxes

19   6.5' boxes

0     8' boxes

If I include '19s & '20s, same F150 XLT, reducing the radius to 10 miles (to keep under the 100+ results);

61   5.5' boxes

20   6.5' boxes

1     8' box

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy

16 hours ago, novanglus said:

e

...someone who can afford it.  The top-line Rivian won’t be much cheaper.  You aren’t getting 180kWh of battery for less than $100k.

So, the price isn’t that different, but one is far more useful as a truck.  Hell, the B1 SUV probably has the same size “bed” as the Rivian (looked it up, it does 49” x 61” vs  unknown x 55”), and it is an SUV (and looks awesome).

Like I said, I think the Rivian is cool as hell, but it really doesn’t fit in the truck category (a 55” bed is 4’ 7”, that is silly small, by comparison a Fridgeline is 49” x 60”).

I call BS. people that have 125k won't spend it on a Bolinger for work. They'll buy 2-3 new or used work trucks. You pull up in a Bolinger and tell people what you paid and they'll laugh you off the farm/ worksite.

Especially when it looks like it was constructed in a converted cattle shed, it's ugly as hell. Its range is nothing to crow about and it's towing is the same as my 2.7L F150.

After the Jay Leno's of the world buy one who does that leave?

22 minutes ago, MY93SHO said:

I call BS. people that have 125k won't spend it on a Bolinger for work. They'll buy 2-3 new or used work trucks. You pull up in a Bolinger and tell people what you paid and they'll laugh you off the farm/ worksite.

Especially when it looks like it was constructed in a converted cattle shed, it's ugly as hell. Its range is nothing to crow about and it's towing is the same as my 2.7L F150.

After the Jay Leno's of the world buy one who does that leave?

...I just told you why, Sec. 179 of the Internal Revenue Code.  To qualify for a 179 equipment deduction, it has to have a 6ft bed, period.

4’7” will not qualify.  So Rivian is out.  As you start getting up in the income bracket, you need to shelter it.  Part of that is by expensing your daily driver.  You can’t do that in your grocery getter 5’ bed vehicle.  You’ll need something bigger.  Why do you think Ford has no problem moving $70-80k luxed out 250s & 350s?  They’re write offs (and I know several guys who have bought them for that reason).

The Bollinger B2 will qualify.  The Rivian won’t.  If a guy needs to shelter income, wants a truck, but wants an EV, right now he has 1 choice.  There might be more later.  The Rivian is still badass and I’d love to own one (the SUV), but honestly, the Bollinger is the only game.

I hope Ford keeps that in mind when bringing their EV truck to market.

Edited by novanglus

4 hours ago, novanglus said:

Yet, somehow those supercab and regular cab trucks are at the lumberyard.  They must be aftermarket conversions.

(I’ve spend decades in construction/farm/contracting; the only guy in a 5.5” is the owner).

I don’t doubt there are plenty of mall trucks out there, but no one uses mall trucks for contracting unless they are pulling a construction trailer.

And, I just checked our inventory and show 100+ 6.5‘ and 8’ beds within 20miles of where I live, so my experience around here doesn’t match yours.

The majority of F150 sales are "mall trucks" by that definition.   Just because your requirements are different doesn't mean everyone is the same.

The original point was the Rivian as well as the Ridgeline works just as well for the majority of F150 buyers and how they use their trucks.

4 hours ago, novanglus said:

I said to exclude XLs because those are most often work trucks.   And it doesn't matter how many longer beds, the question is what percentage?

...I just told you why, Sec. 179 of the Internal Revenue Code.  To qualify for a 179 equipment deduction, it has to have a 6ft bed, period.

4’7” will not qualify.  So Rivian is out.  As you start getting up in the income bracket, you need to shelter it.  Part of that is by expensing your daily driver.  You can’t do that in your grocery getter 5’ bed vehicle.  You’ll need something bigger.  Why do you think Ford has no problem moving $70-80k luxed out 250s & 350s?  They’re write offs (and I know several guys who have bought them for that reason).

The Bollinger B2 will qualify.  The Rivian won’t.  If a guy needs to shelter income, wants a truck, but wants an EV, right now he has 1 choice.  There might be more later.  The Rivian is still badass and I’d love to own one (the SUV), but honestly, the Bollinger is the only game.

I hope Ford keeps that in mind when bringing their EV truck to market.

Who in their right mind would buy a BEV pickup to use as an actual work truck?   The range will be terrible and the cost too high.