Tech Warranty

T hawker

My mother just took delivery of a new MKC today.  The finance manager explained to us that the tech items in the car, ie touch screen, backup camera, ect is only covered by a 1yr/12k mile warranty, not the 4/50 bumper to bumper.  Anyone else been told this?  Black Labels included?  I will be traveling to San Diego in a couple of weeks for Thanksgiving and intend on bringing back a BL Nautilus or Aviator.

1 hour ago, T hawker said:

My mother just took delivery of a new MKC today.  The finance manager explained to us that the tech items in the car, ie touch screen, backup camera, ect is only covered by a 1yr/12k mile warranty, not the 4/50 bumper to bumper.  Anyone else been told this?  Black Labels included?  I will be traveling to San Diego in a couple of weeks for Thanksgiving and intend on bringing back a BL Nautilus or Aviator.

That is not accurate.  The only items not covered by the 4/50 warranty will be wear items like wiper blades and brake pads. They are 12/12. I have always been told light bulbs and adjustments are supposed to be in that same 12/12 warranty. However, I’ve never seen a customer charged for those items under the bumper to bumper warranty. 

18 hours ago, T hawker said:

Hi T hawker. As fordtech1 stated. Those items are covered for the full 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty. You can verify this by checking the Warranty Guide which came with your mother's MKC.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Thank you all.  The warranty guide was not included with the owners manual packet, I should have just downloaded it, which I have done now.  It didn't sound right to me but I asked him to clarify it and I heard him correctly.  This was during the push to purchase the extended warranty so I guess part of the sales pitch to encourage you.

Mom loves the car, she can see out of it which was a problem with the '17 Acadia's side mirrors blocking her vision and it leaving her stranded 3 times now...3 strikes, your out.  We drove the Mazda CX-5 and the Honda CR-V.  She liked the CX-5, had sight problems with the CR-V but when she got into the Lincoln she fell in love...and in front of the salesman tells me we'll take this one...so much for negotiations but at 80+ years of age oh well :)

9 hours ago, T hawker said:

Thank you all.  The warranty guide was not included with the owners manual packet, I should have just downloaded it, which I have done now.  It didn't sound right to me but I asked him to clarify it and I heard him correctly.  This was during the push to purchase the extended warranty so I guess part of the sales pitch to encourage you.

Mom loves the car, she can see out of it which was a problem with the '17 Acadia's side mirrors blocking her vision and it leaving her stranded 3 times now...3 strikes, your out.  We drove the Mazda CX-5 and the Honda CR-V.  She liked the CX-5, had sight problems with the CR-V but when she got into the Lincoln she fell in love...and in front of the salesman tells me we'll take this one...so much for negotiations but at 80+ years of age oh well :)

Wow. Your Mom should report that dishonest finance manager. Not sure to whom. If she reports him to the dealership's head honcho and nothing is done then he obviously wasn't freelancing, in which case I would think twice before ever going back there, especially for service as one could then expect to find similar tactics used there.

1 hour ago, Gurgeh said:

Wow. Your Mom should report that dishonest finance manager. Not sure to whom. If she reports him to the dealership's head honcho and nothing is done then he obviously wasn't freelancing, in which case I would think twice before ever going back there, especially for service as one could then expect to find similar tactics used there.

Don't like it either, but being in a rural area we have limited choices.  We have two dealerships, each 60 miles away our next option is El Paso TX, 100 miles away.  I know one of our near by dealerships is one you don't want to deal with leaving us with the one we purchased from.  So we will need to have the vehicle serviced there.  If I come home with a Black Label Nautilus or Aviator in a few weeks I will need this same dealership to service mine.  No Black Label dealers in New Mexico so need to go out of state.

9 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

Don’t forget if you decide to purchase a Lincoln ESP,  you can easily anytime before the 4/50 runs out. Several places sell them online for $100 over cost. 
I hope she enjoys her MKC. 

Thanks.  Good to know, I don't remember the exact price he wanted to charge, was north of $3k.  We never purchase extended warranties but it's good to know we have options especially with all of the technology in cars today.

1 hour ago, T hawker said:

Thanks.  Good to know, I don't remember the exact price he wanted to charge, was north of $3k.  We never purchase extended warranties but it's good to know we have options especially with all of the technology in cars today.

Hi T hawker. If you decide to purchase a Lincoln Protect Plan later, I would recommend here: https://www.zeiglerfordesp.com/tools/articles.aspx?article=New_Used_Cpo_Lincoln_Protect&type=1

I have extensively shopped Lincoln Protect/ESP pricing at my local Lincoln/Ford dealers and online for my last three Lincolns, and found the lowest price there each time. Next lowest was Flood Ford.

You can find a bunch of online sellers by Googling "Lincoln ESP": https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Lincoln+ESP

Best of luck to you and your mom with her new MKC.

T Hawker, there are some good reasons to get the extended warranty if you plan to keep the vehicle a very long time. But standard Lincoln warranties (and even more so the Black Label versions) are long and extensive. They should cover just about anything you might encounter with the vehicle (during the time they are active) other than tires, wipers and break pads, reducing the worry about servicing your vehicle where you bought it.

52 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

T Hawker, there are some good reasons to get the extended warranty if you plan to keep the vehicle a very long time. But standard Lincoln warranties (and even more so the Black Label versions) are long and extensive. They should cover just about anything you might encounter with the vehicle (during the time they are active) other than tires, wipers and break pads, reducing the worry about servicing your vehicle where you bought it.

The ‘unused’ portion of Ford ESP plans are refundable so even if you sell/trade before end  is probably worth considering ... there are so many very expensive components any one of which can cost as much as the ESP (just make sure all the technology &  electrical stuff is included in the plan you choose).

7 hours ago, gumpster said:

Does Ford have zero-deductible ESPs?  

(I’ve had dealers that would fix things at a cost just over the deductible and say other issues were fine, so they could hit me with the deductible again when I returned to fix the other issues.)

Hi gumpster. Yes, the plans are available with $0 deductibles.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the feedback, bbf2530!

(I understand what you’re saying akirby, but I don’t listen to the insurance salesmen either.  To me , an extended warranty is basically some “ease of mind” pre-paid repairs, whether you need them or not.  But they’re truly worthless if they never even pay hardly anything due to the deductible and the sales people love a high deductible so they can more easily use the approach which I mentioned.  So, if I buy one, I don’t give them ANY wiggle room and this has worked well for me in the past.  With today’s complexity vs quality, a longer period with a zero deductible will almost certainly pay off before it expires...and if not, I’m still happy because it means I had a great vehicle.)

21 minutes ago, gumpster said:

Thanks for the feedback, bbf2530!

(I understand what you’re saying akirby, but I don’t listen to the insurance salesmen either.  To me , an extended warranty is basically some “ease of mind” pre-paid repairs, whether you need them or not.  But they’re truly worthless if they never even pay hardly anything due to the deductible and the sales people love a high deductible so they can more easily use the approach which I mentioned.  So, if I buy one, I don’t give them ANY wiggle room and this has worked well for me in the past.  With today’s complexity vs quality, a longer period with a zero deductible will almost certainly pay off before it expires...and if not, I’m still happy because it means I had a great vehicle.)

Let’s say the cost is $2k for $0 deductible and $1500 for $100 deductible.  You’d have to make 5 claims just to break even and that’s just not likely.

But if you don’t care about saving money and just want to get something fixed as easily as possible then go for it.