Actual build time experience?

43 minutes ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Does anyone have any actual real experience on the wait time from the time you  ordered your car to delivery? We live on the west coast, so I know that's going to add some delay ?

Attached is the scheduling information for vehicles that will be scheduled on Thursday, November 15th. I post this information each week for all Ford and Lincoln vehicles in the Production Week Scheduling Timetable thread in the Production and Sales forum. The average transit time is 14 days once a vehicle has been released for shipment but may vary depending on the rail carrier, car carrier firm hauling vehicles to the dealership, etc.    

Blue Oval Forums_Production Week Scheduling_2019-11-11-3.jpg

Thanks for the info, but unclear on how to digest that! So we ordered our Nautilus on 10-12-19. We got a text from the dealer they were starting to build our car a few days ago on the 7th (11-7-19) ?. I don't know if it takes 1 day or 3 weeks to build a BL Nautilus. I see it takes probably a minimum of 2 weeks for transit, I'm guessing at least 3 weeks for west coast deliveries. And then I don't know how long the prep time is for getting ready to ship.

I think I stated on some other post that one dealer told me about 10 weeks min to see a car, and another 10 to 12 weeks once ordered (to the west coast). Certainly not complaining, just would like to know the real world times for all the particulars involved, And wondered if anyone has recently gone through the process of order to delivery time.

Right now, for us it was between 3 to 4 weeks from order to notice of build start.

Build time unknown

Prep time/quality check unknown

Transit time maybe 2 to 3 weeks, maybe even 4 with weather or who-knows-what delays

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Wow that's crazy fast! So it looks like we may see that car before X-mas :yahoo:

The wife will be happy to hear that!

Wondering if quality checks come with the production time, or is that a separate process? Or a process at all? ?

Depends on how fast shipping takes. Once it leaves Ford's lot there's not a ton of control they have. 

Quality checks are embedded into the production process at various points, then one final quality inspection after it rolls off the line. Oakville has a very good reputation, you have nothing to worry about. I'm actually sitting at my dealer in process of buying a Flex as I type this (same plant). 

1 minute ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Very cool sir! Thanks for your time to post and congrats on your Flex!

I do find it odd that your signature line says disgruntled Ford employee and you're buying a Flex! Throw in the towel or change of heart ❤️?

I have issues with some management decisions, but I still prefer to drive what I build, even if it comes from another plant. 

Also I can't figure out how to change my signature with the new board software ?

Wow, unlike other forums I'm on or have been on this one seems unique in it's number of people who work for Ford/Lincoln or seem to have infinite wisdom of production steps and parts.

My question if someone could answer, is about the grill. On the Nautilus, does anyone know how pieces that is, and is it welded/glued together or when taken off the car can it still come apart? I ask because I will want to make the grill mesh black, and obviously I'd like to have a mesh only to take into the powder coater, if possible.

I've read about all the products for painting or spraying dip type stuff on the grill (and just masking off the rest) and for every "wow it works great" there's an equal number of "don't ever buy this product". Id rather just do it the right way and powder coat it, that is, if it's metal (I don't know off hand, there's a lot of plastic metal looking grills out there) .....

• 2 weeks later...

It's official!!! We got our ordered loaded Nautilus last night! So that's a hair over 6 weeks. Pretty impressive in my book from placing an order, and taking delivery of our new rig in just 45 days to the west coast. Especially after 2 dealers telling me up to 12 weeks, it was half that!

I have yet to drive the car but the first thing that impressed me about the car that I didn't already know was the door quality. It feels so solid and closes with a nice quality robust sound. I know that may seem trivial to some, but a solid door sound has always been a GREAT sound to me...The wood on the door looks so cool. I looked in back and the mat/cargo package we got looks good. The front mats are nice but there's no lip to keep water like the weathertech mats. So that's one for  Weathertech. But the rear rubber mat is super nice and better than the Weathertech rear mat we just bought for our FPace which we traded in last night. So that evens the mat thing out. I get to drive it today for a 90 mile round trip so really am looking forward to it! That is, if I can get my wife to release her death grip on the steering wheel...

• Like 2

This is a dated story but it blew my mind when it happened years ago

I ordered a 1997 Ranger which was built in Edison NJ about a hour from where i live.

I ordered the truck on December 1st and by the December 15th it was waiting at the dealer for me.

It was A-Plan and my name was on the sticker so i knew it was the actual truck i ordered.

• Like 1