Build or wait?

surfmore

On 11/11/2019 at 4:50 AM, surfmore said:

Wondering if I should build my 2020 Navigator or wait and see what shows up on the lot? Looking at getting Reserve 4x4 Monochromatic Ceramic Pearl with everything except Lincoln Play entertainment system.

Also on pricing, how much over invoice should I pay?

Hi surfmore. Factory ordering or buying off the lot is a personal decision. Do you want exactly what you want or are you willing to settle for what shows up or can be found by your local dealerships?

For me, it has always been factory ordering. I have factory ordered every car of mine, since my first new car in 1976. By factory ordering, I get exactly what I want (within the bounds of the Order Guide, of course). I can get my car in the color I want, with the options I want and no extra/unwanted equipment.
My factory ordered new car will come in, be prepped and sold directly to me. The car has not sat on a Dealer lot for god knows how long. It has not been test driven, easy or hard, by a multitude of strangers while their kids drop melting ice cream and candy bars in the interior. image.gif.1ccbb93a4251e24b4a6ed257903adf23.gif

Factory ordering also gives you time to sell your old car privately, if you wish, for far more than the Dealer will offer you in a trade-in. You can still negotiate a trade-in price up front, then try to sell it privately or trade it in if you cannot sell it in time. Remember, taking trade-ins is a money making business for Dealerships, not a favor they do for us. I have been able to privately sell every one of my previous cars for far more than the Dealers offered (even including the sales tax hit), in some cases allowing me to keep thousands of dollars to put towards the new car.

The advantages to buying off the lot? If you find something you want, you can get it today, or at least quicker.

As far as pricing, there are far too many variables to answer. How good are your negotiating skills? It may be best to either obtain a Ford "Friends and Neighbors" X-Plan PIN or some other type of buyers club assistance. Costco has a very good plan, which is even better pricing than Ford X-Plan in some/many cases. However, keep in mind that acceptance of those price plans is also at the individual Dealers discretion.

On my last car buy, I was able to negotiate a better price on my own than X-Plan, Costco, AAA etc offered, but that was for a factory ordered 2018 Lincoln MKZ, which is less "in demand" than a Navigator. So individual results may vary.

EDIT - I did use the X-Plan and Costco pricing quotes as negotiating tools to get that lower price.  You can do the same.

You can usually negotiate a better price on a factory order than dealer inventory, especially on in-demand vehicles. Bottom line? All you can do is go into several Dealerships well informed and knowing what you want, then negotiate until you can come to a price agreement you can live with. Having several Dealerships competing for your business always helps in negotiations.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

I just looked and there are 15 WP 2019 Reserves within 100 miles of me.  3 appear to be fully loaded and the rest are mostly loaded (revel audio and upgraded seats).  I’d say there is a good chance you can find one in stock but ordering might be faster and you can get exactly the options you want.

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

I just looked and there are 15 WP 2019 Reserves within 100 miles of me.  3 appear to be fully loaded and the rest are mostly loaded (revel audio and upgraded seats).  I’d say there is a good chance you can find one in stock but ordering might be faster and you can get exactly the options you want.

Hi Allen. At least at this point, surfmore said they were interested in ordering or purchasing a 2020.

Thank you very much for your response, I do have an appointment on Tuesday at one dealership and will be calling another one in my area. I am leaning towards factory order which does guarantee I get all the options I want. Seems like there isn't to many options so was kind of hoping one would magically appear.
Really hate the hassle of negotiating and would just like to say I will pay you X amount over invoice and be done with it. I am well prepared and so the buying game begins Tuesday. I will let you know how it turns out

Thanks again

32 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Allen. At least at this point, surfmore said they were interested in ordering or purchasing a 2020.

I know that, but I was looking at the 2019 inventory to see what dealers have been stocking with the assumption if they're stocking a lot of loaded 2019 Reserves in Platinum White that they'll be doing the same thing for the 2020s.

1 hour ago, surfmore said:

Thank you very much for your response, I do have an appointment on Tuesday at one dealership and will be calling another one in my area. I am leaning towards factory order which does guarantee I get all the options I want. Seems like there isn't to many options so was kind of hoping one would magically appear.
Really hate the hassle of negotiating and would just like to say I will pay you X amount over invoice and be done with it. I am well prepared and so the buying game begins Tuesday. I will let you know how it turns out

Thanks again

Hi surfmore. You are very welcome.

Unfortunately, the only way to have a negotiations free purchase would be to use a Ford X-Plan or another buyer protection plan like Costco, AAA etc.

Follow the logic and look at it this way: If you go in and say "I am going to pay you X amount over Invoice..." and they accept it right away, it is likely you could have easily negotiated an even better deal than "X amount over invoice".

In other words, if a Dealer accepts a first price offer, that means they are very happy and you are probably overpaying. So if you want the lowest price, always be willing to negotiate.

We didn't want to wait for our 2019, but there was no inventory near us.... so I selected the third option. I scoured the country looking for one that would meet our specs.

I used the Lincoln website inventory search, and put in a 100 mile search from a zipcode in every major metro area (one by one), until I found all the cars (about 7?) that met our general requirements, and 4 that were ideal. The dealers won't do this for you, and I don't fault them, because there isn't any way for them to profit from you buying a vehicle from a dealer across the country.

I called on the Navigators and found that only two of them were actually on the lot. For those two, I had them send me pictures, negotiated, and bought one of them remotely, and had them ship it (over 2000 miles). Obviously the shipping cut into the "deal", but I was glad to get our perfect build and not wait 4 months. 

For example, I quickly found this one in Ceramic Pearl near Los Angeles.... I'm sure there are others..

https://shop.lincoln.com/inventory/navigator/details/5LMJJ2LT8KEL09474?fromPopularBuild=false&zipcode=90001&year=2019&ownerPACode=00359&intcmp=show-si&Radius=100&ExteriorColor=GS&Order=Distance

Edited by Dave_SF

To the OP ... given all you've stated I would go the X-plan route and order one. It'd be to you in 6-8 weeks maximum--some dealers will just change the options on one they have coming in so it could even be a little shorter.

I have not checked the Costco pricing, so you may want to try that first as well. Around here there have been quite a few times I haven't had a local dealer that participated in the Costco pricing so would have to drive a ways to find one that did. If you know you are going to be purchasing sooner than later, I would first ask your preferred dealer if they accept X-plan. If they do, then go ahead and get a membership to the Mustang Club of America for $25 for a year and you will have your X-plan pricing locked in for when you do order. Some dealers ONLY accept X-plan on ordered vehicles (or at least prefer that over an on-the-lot vehicle).

Assuming you want the console in the second row? That tends to show up most often on lots. If you want a second row bench you should especially order as finding one would be near impossible.

I am seeing an MSRP of $94,330 for your build.
I am seeing an X-Plan Price of $89,255 for your build.

I would imagine that's about $500 to $1000 over invoice?

That is what I have come up with also, my build is $5,000 over invoice. I would be happy to pay $1,000 over invoice right now. I emailed 4 dealerships yesterday with my build asking about X-plan and how much that would be. No response on price,  I have an appointment later today at one dealership and will call or email the others to see if they have come up with a price. I will let you know the outcome. 

2 hours ago, surfmore said:

That is what I have come up with also, my build is $5,000 over invoice. I would be happy to pay $1,000 over invoice right now. I emailed 4 dealerships yesterday with my build asking about X-plan and how much that would be. No response on price,  I have an appointment later today at one dealership and will call or email the others to see if they have come up with a price. I will let you know the outcome. 

Hi surfmore. Just a heads up: If you do not have an X-Plan PIN yet, a Dealership is not required to show you X-Plan pricing. Many, or even most, may/will show it anyway, but they do not need to. Again, just a heads up.

You do not have to wait for the dealer to get X plan prices.   Go to www.fordpartner.com and use the mustang club code (MC405).  From there you can go to vehicles and either build and price your own or search dealer inventory and you'll see the X plan prices including incentives.   Don't generate a pin unless you have an actual MCA membership - you'll have to show your membership at the dealer to use the PIN.

On 11/11/2019 at 4:50 AM, surfmore said:

Wondering if I should build my 2020 Navigator or wait and see what shows up on the lot? Looking at getting Reserve 4x4 Monochromatic Ceramic Pearl with everything except Lincoln Play entertainment system.

Also on pricing, how much over invoice should I pay?

The real determining factor will be what type of seating you want for the second row,  if you want bench you should probably order.  Unless something has changed the large majority of the Reserves are captain chairs. That’s just my 2¢.  We ordered ours and it took the hassle out of the search.  Some people love the thrill of the hunt, some don’t.

Edited by boredinbirmingham

Just ordered my Navigator and went with Pristine White instead of the Ceramic Pearl. It just looked like a better color, anyways I went with the AAA service and ended up paying $1,000 over invoice. Was hassle free and that's what I wanted all along. Thank you all for your input 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I just joined. Wish I had seen his thread in November. 

Ordered a Black Label, Pristine White/Chalet with Cargo Package and second row console two weeks ago. Negotiated for weeks with 2 dealers in the Chicago area. I know the options, etc., better than most sales people. Ended up going with a dealer in Chicago who eventually agreed to my $900 BELOW invoice offer. 

Their website showed a Chroma Blue in stock I wanted my wife to see. Turns out, the site was incorrect as they had traded that away for a Pristine White. I said, "How about going to an even $1000 below invoice and all will be forgiven."  Sort of tongue in cheek and they didn't agree to that. What they did, however, was offer to throw in the $141 floor liners, which I was ordering anyway. So, ended up $1041 BELOW invoice on a brand new factory ordered Black Label. 

While the Black Labels are "exclusive" maybe, I think not negotiating with me was a mistake by the other dealers. One of them is 10 minutes from my house. Yes, I will use them for the car washes, but the dealer I ordered from, while 40 minutes away, will get to bill Lincoln for my service visits and annual details. Short sighted by the other dealers, and they won't sell me a vehicle next time either. 

This day and age, with the pricing tools, I would never pay over invoice. They will act like they are losing money, and yes, Lincoln gives no hold back to the dealers, but I am certain there are bonuses paid to them for sales numbers. 

BTW, have you taken delivery yet?