Goodbye Focus, hello Flex

Is rust really that much of an issue anymore? I keep my truck washed but at 11 years old and there is only a few tiny little spots on the bottom of the tailgate where rocks get caught when you're unloading. 

Even with the salt used in Michigan you don't really see rust on cars that are 12 years old, starting to see some on the rear wheel wells of the 02-05 vehicles but those are 15+ years now. 

The hatch on my Flex is starting to succumb to rust - right at the drain hole under the handle. I’ve been meaning to see how much it would cost to have someone cut it out and weld in new metal before it keeps spreading. 

I’ve always worried about the door bottoms the way they turn into rockers on the Flex, but so far so good. 

Edited by sullynd

11 hours ago, lastmanstanding said:

So did I ...... My question is..... you gonna undercoat it?........... I'm in Michigan and I think I'm gonna do it..... I keep my cars a long time and with the road salt and other crap they use, I think it's a good idea .... average about 12 years before I buy a new one........... What do you guys think?

I don't know what options are out now, but my dad Ziebart'd his 2000 Expedition and it rotted out in the door bottoms and rockers.  Stuck finger in one of the holes and the coating had fallen off, clogging the drain holes and basically acting a sponge for water at same time.

An oil spray on bottom of vehicle might be best if you're going to do something like that...but then have to worry about it getting all over driveway/garage...

13 hours ago, chucky2 said:

I don't know what options are out now, but my dad Ziebart'd his 2000 Expedition and it rotted out in the door bottoms and rockers.  Stuck finger in one of the holes and the coating had fallen off, clogging the drain holes and basically acting a sponge for water at same time.

An oil spray on bottom of vehicle might be best if you're going to do something like that...but then have to worry about it getting all over driveway/garage...

I'm having it done today at "Auto One " ...... They clean-up the bottom of the vehicle, and let it sit over night to dry out in-case there is any moisture......... then spray a thin material that stays pliable ''' so it don't crack like Ziebart......... Ziebart is "old school", tar like, that cracks and then retains water....... This "stuff" is not suppose to do that.......... My Flex was never in water and had about 100 miles on it when I took it in....  I have my fingers crossed.............. My last vehicle was a Mercury...... an '07 was undercoated, that company went out of business, and didn't have a spot on it....... but it was time for a new one..... 

23 hours ago, lastmanstanding said:

Just talked to a Ford Rep on their Ford Help line...... I was told that Rust proofing and undercoating "in most cases "would void corrsion warranty......... .......... so now what?............

So........... I decided to call back and see if I got different "rep"............. I did and he said it doesn't ......and said the other person has mistaken........ so .... should I make another call and go best 2 out of three...... HA

23 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Definitely one of the quirkier designs I've ever seen

That design was supposed to minimize the possibility of occupants coming into contact with the vehicle while entering or exiting. That way they wouldn't get their pant legs dirty.

1 hour ago, grbeck said:

That design was supposed to minimize the possibility of occupants coming into contact with the vehicle while entering or exiting. That way they wouldn't get their pant legs dirty.

They didn't take into account that it's super easy to scrape your leg on the corner of it in a tight parking lot. 

That or I'm just a klutz 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

24 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Just being a smartass because it seems everyone just slams their door into mine.  The reason I park out in BFE...

Look up MAP on google image satellite and you'll see how screwy my parking situation is. Body and stamping are on the south side of the tracks. Even parking in the front row of one of the lots is like parking in BFE for one building. 

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Look up MAP on google image satellite and you'll see how screwy my parking situation is. Body and stamping are on the south side of the tracks. Even parking in the front row of one of the lots is like parking in BFE for one building. 

Time for some autonomous vehicles to chauffeur you guys to and from the building! :)

43 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Just being a smartass because it seems everyone just slams their door into mine.  The reason I park out in BFE...

Doesn't it kill you when the wife pulls into a tight spot between two vehicles and there are 3 open spaces 20 feet away?

On 11/14/2019 at 3:46 PM, fordmantpw said:

It's amazing how 3 kids from the same parents can be completely different.

Heck, my brother and his wife just had their 10th, and they're all very different, including the twin girls. I used to say I could tell those two apart because when I arrived, one would run up to hug me and the other would run up to hit me. ? They're not exactly polar opposites, but they are definitely geared differently.