2021 Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring

I just got a hot tip that the Corsair Grand Touring is debuting in LA on November 18th at 3PM PST.  

It goes on sale in June 2020.  

Just a reminder, this is the Corsair Plug-in Hybrid with a standard eAWD system (similar to Toyota and Lexus).  It's the first and only Ford vehicle in North America to have an electric motor on the rear axle (except the Mach E).  This was necessary because the PHEV doesn't leave room for the driveshaft.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got to see/sit in the Corsair this past weekend at the Miami Auto Show.  It looks great inside and out.  I heard lots of positive comments both about Corsair and Lincoln in general - especially how nice the interiors were.

I wonder what the power and mileage figures will be like for the GT.

56 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I got to see/sit in the Corsair this past weekend at the Miami Auto Show.  It looks great inside and out.  I heard lots of positive comments both about Corsair and Lincoln in general - especially how nice the interiors were.

Are you able to provide any references on interior space compared to 2019 Edge/Nautilus or Escape?  We might consider one if it has enough room since the new Nautilus is light years away.

17 hours ago, akirby said:

Are you able to provide any references on interior space compared to 2019 Edge/Nautilus or Escape?  We might consider one if it has enough room since the new Nautilus is light years away.

I honestly didn't sit in either the Edge or Nautilus at the show to compare, as I've seen them before.  I didn't feel cramped at all in either the Escape or Corsair, though, they were roomy.  I should've taken an interior shot.

On a side note, the Escape seems alarmingly/disappointingly cheap inside.

23 minutes ago, 92merc said:

I'm wondering if this setup will deliver better FE than the hybrid Escape.  It has me interested...

It should have at least a 20 mile EV range whereas the hybrid would only do a mile or two (if that).

But it does sound like they're going to market this as a performance option so we'll see how it performs.

AWD Corsair GT officially debuts with 26 miles of EV range and 265HP.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/20/2021-lincoln-corsair-grand-touring-plug-in-hybrid-revealed-la-auto-show/

https://youtu.be/00GY0Em2q0w

Have to admit, not terribly impressed by these specs with RAV4 Prime substantially leaping ahead on power and range. 

Edited by Assimilator

6 hours ago, Assimilator said:

AWD Corsair GT officially debuts with 26 miles of EV range and 265HP.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/20/2021-lincoln-corsair-grand-touring-plug-in-hybrid-revealed-la-auto-show/

https://youtu.be/00GY0Em2q0w

Have to admit, not terribly impressed by these specs with RAV4 Prime substantially leaping ahead on power and range. 

Yes, seems like an odd configuration. It uses the less capable 2.5 naturally aspirated inline 4 from the Escape and marries it to an electric motor to produce less hp than one finds in the normal Corsair engine upgrade, the 2.3 turbo. I expect it is a more fuel efficient configuration, but that isn't really the point of Lincoln's grand touring hybrids, at least not in the Aviator. I'm sure there is some reason Lincoln went this direction with the Corsair, and it likely has more capabilities than the initial numbers seem to indicate, such as increased torque (though the 2.3's 310 ft/lbs isn't too shabby).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

Yes, seems like an odd configuration. It uses the less capable 2.5 naturally aspirated inline 4 from the Escape and marries it to an electric motor to produce less hp than one finds in the normal Corsair engine upgrade, the 2.3 turbo. I expect it is a more fuel efficient configuration, but that isn't really the point of Lincoln's grand touring hybrids, at least not in the Aviator. I'm sure there is some reason Lincoln went this direction with the Corsair, and it likely has more capabilities than the initial numbers seem to indicate, such as increased torque (though the 2.3's 310 ft/lbs isn't too shabby).

I agree, they should have saved the GT (Grand Touring) badge for a future model. Being as it is, they shouldn't expect to price this at much of a premium over the 2.3.

Elsewise, this looks to be a good alternative to the other engines, though it is mated a CVT.

1 minute ago, Trailhiker said:

this looks to be a good alternative to the other engines, though it is mated a CVT.

The transmission in Corsair Grand Touring should be the Aisin derived power split eCVT. It works very well and is the most reliable automatic transmission that Ford Motor Company offers.

From Autoblog:

Looking at the price structure for the Aviator, which also has a Grand Touring plug-in hybrid variant, the Corsair Grand Touring could be priced above the current range-topping Reserve trim. That means it could have a base price above $43,625.

I think they're wrong because the Aviator GT has far more power than the standard reserve, while the Corsair GT actually has about the same power as the base Corsair.   I bet Ford will make the GT the same price as the 2.3 - your choice.   They already did this with the MKZ hybrid.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, akirby said:

From Autoblog:

I think they're wrong because the Aviator GT has far more power than the standard reserve, while the Corsair GT actually has about the same power as the base Corsair.   I bet Ford will make the GT the same price as the 2.3 - your choice.   They already did this with the MKZ hybrid.

I agree. The range is not enough to make it much of a benefit. If you drive the first 25 miles strictly electric, you will be left relying on an underpowered gas engine (150HP?) afterwards.

I'm a little surprised there is almost no performance benefit to this Hybrid setup.  With very little in the way of benefit, I would personally have preferred to see a regular Hybrid setup since AWD economy on that Escape setup is so appealing.  Once you add a plug, it just needs to do WAY more than this to be worth the expense.  But this is probably a product I need to live with to understand, I tend to be very skeptical of Plug-In Hybrids with such marginal benefits.  

Edited by Assimilator

1 hour ago, Assimilator said:

I'm a little surprised there is almost no performance benefit to this Hybrid setup.  With very little in the way of benefit, I would personally have preferred to see a regular Hybrid setup since AWD economy on that Escape setup is so appealing.  One you add a plug, it just needs to do WAY more than this to be worth the expense.  But this is probably a product I need to live with to understand, I tend to be very skeptical of Plug-In Hybrids with such marginal benefits.  

I assume fuel economy would be the same as Escape Hybrid (give or take) when battery power is depleted.  Might be slightly better with charged battery.   And you have the option of full EV mode for 25 miles.

Personally I would have preferred the 2.0LEB or 2.3LEB but as far as I know Ford has not used anything larger than a 2.5NA with their E-CVT hybrids so maybe there is a torque limitation.

• Like 1