Police-Fusion Hybrid not suitable for patrol (Salt Lake)

CKNSLS

“These cars are so small and compact that I do not believe that we can safely put a prisoner in the cage without it bordering cruel and unusual punishment,” the officer continued.

https://kutv.com/news/local/slcs-new-police-cars-are-not-suitable-for-patrol-officers-say?fbclid=IwAR2uHzCXMBMysSaxfQTk2aCT0TSMI93aM4FVaNB9h-zb1C_-7xE7Ga4wE9A

Don't blame the car, blame the idiots working for the city forcing the requirement to buy a hybrid car. I don't think Ford has ever pushed this as a real cop car to replace the Police Interceptor-its a security/supervisor/detective car that you don't need to transport prisoners in.

16 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

Don't blame the car, blame the idiots working for the city forcing the requirement to buy a hybrid car. I don't think Ford has ever pushed this as a real cop car to replace the Police Interceptor-its a security/supervisor/detective car that you don't need to transport prisoners in.

Sure looks like a Patrol Car to me,,,,,   https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles/hybrid-police-responder/

HRG

5 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Sure looks like a Patrol Car to me,,,,,   https://www.ford.com/police-vehicles/hybrid-police-responder/

HRG

Sure that's something it's capable of but I thing most departments would view it as a detective unit. Even so, detectives still put perps in the back once and a while and even though the back seat area isn't as roomy as an Explorer it's certainly not a torture chamber, especially given that it's similar dimension to the Taurus and I don't remember seeing this kind of complaint about that. 

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Sure that's something it's capable of but I thing most departments would view it as a detective unit. Even so, detectives still put perps in the back once and a while and even though the back seat area isn't as roomy as an Explorer it's certainly not a torture chamber, especially given that it's similar dimension to the Taurus and I don't remember seeing this kind of complaint about that. 

Did you see this picture of the back seat, from the article originally linked?

HRG

Responder cage.JPG

They can always call another unit for transport if they need. I'd be more worried about officer entrance/egress. Fusion doesn't exactly lend itself to larger people getting in/out, let alone an officer wearing a vest and a belt full of gear.  

IT may not be all that bad too. There will always be a subset of LEO who hates the new vehicle no matter how good or bad the new or old ones are. Most older guys still lament not having a 'real' Caprice/Vic/DiploFury.   

• 4 weeks later...

If you compare the Dodge Charger to the Ford Fusion Hybrid specs I think they are similar if you set the front seats at the same distance... since the Fusion has 2.5" more in front and 1 .8" less in back than the Charger. (Assuming rear leg room determined with front seat extended). In fact, the Fusion has a .7 " advantage! 

Charger Front legroom :41.8" vs Fusion 44.3" ( 2.5" difference)

Charger Rear legroom: 40.1 vs Fusion 38.3" ( 1.8" difference )