More and More problems, What a piece of CRAP the Aviator is !!

Lorac

WOW, only had the Aviator now for less than 2 weeks and 500 miles, and nothing but problems and issues. 

Rolled off the dealer lot the 1st day with so many things broken. 

1) rear control panel display blank, ( are the people inspecting these cars blind - how did that get by ?) 

2) exterior done handle broke

3) glove box door broken

4) interior panels are misaligned

5) front passenger seat belt alarm not working

Now I just noticed  

1) Noticed that the front fender and door panels have HUGE misalignments gaps and are crooked

2) rear hatch does not open/stuck

3) alarm is going off all day/night long

And to think that we went with this car because we were concerned about Range Rover reliability.

WHAT a piece of CRAP.  This is exactly what we had feared. This is our 3rd lincoln, and I believe it will be our last. 

The most amazing thing is that we were given this car because our original car that we ordered in April was sent to Flat Rock Michigan due to major assembly issues. Since we never received our original Aviator ( the dealer gave us the VIN --) the dealer offered us another Aviator from a nearby dealer. Well, this "problem car" is what we got. ( our "problem" car has a VIN in the 8700's so this is not an early production car)  I could only imagine how bad the 1st one we were supposed to get turned out.( that had a VIN of 1300's) 

Edited by Lorac

every few days, we discover more and more broken or new issues with the car.

What amazes me is we took delivery of the car, went only around the block and came right back to the dealer to show them how they gave us the car with the rear console climate screen totally blank and with just vertical lines. How do they overlook that ? 

every few days we find more and more broken or misaligned.

How the heck did the car leave the factory with the front fenders so mis-aligned with the hood, and front doors. Looks like the car was assembled in China. ( no stereotype intended) This is so bizarre. 

1 minute ago, gumpster said:

For those of us trying to determine the progress in addressing these production issues, could you tell us what model you have and the build date, if you know it?

Reserve 2 with convinence package and Dynamic handling air suspension package. Sticker is $75 K 

build date is 9-18-19 according to the window sticker (if I am reading it correctly.) 

20 minutes ago, Lorac said:

Reserve 2 with convinence package and Dynamic handling air suspension package. Sticker is $75 K 

build date is 9-18-19 according to the window sticker (if I am reading it correctly.) 

Hi Lorac. Useless trivia for your problems and others wondering about wait times: The date on the Window Sticker is not the "build date". Those dates are different administrative dates, when the sticker was produced etc. It is close to the build date, but not the actual build date.

3 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Lorac. Useless trivia for your problems and others wondering about wait times: The date on the Window Sticker is not the "build date". Those dates are different administrative dates, when the sticker was produced etc. It is close to the build date, but not the actual build date.

So where would I find the actual build date ? 

1 minute ago, Lorac said:

So where would I find the actual build date ? 

You can ask your Dealership/salesperson. Or if you do not mind posting your VIN, I can probably get it for you.  Also, there are other members here that can access that information, if they view your thread.

25 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

You can ask your Dealership/salesperson. Or if you do not mind posting your VIN, I can probably get it for you.  Also, there are other members here that can access that information, if they view your thread.

So, I assume that the build date is on the sticker with the VIN and bar code that is inside the door jam of the drivers door..... and according to that it has the build date as 9/19 

My VIN is in the 8700's.  This car was very recently built. It is not an early production car. 

Edited by Lorac

9 hours ago, Lorac said:

So, I assume that the build date is on the sticker with the VIN and bar code that is inside the door jam of the drivers door..... and according to that it has the build date as 9/19 

My VIN is in the 8700's.  This car was very recently built. It is not an early production car. 

Hi Lorac. Yes, that is the build month/year.  If you want the actual build day/month/year (what I assumed you wanted), you can ask your Dealership/salesperson/Service Advisor, or some members here can access that information with your VIN.

Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

My wife spends 15 minutes trying on a new dress, if there is a fitting issue, she does not buy it.  I spend hours at tool stores, going over the ergonomics of each brand before paying a couple hundred bucks.  Why on earth would you not inspect a 75K car before handing over a check?  Mine is being built as I type, the New Car manager already knows I will take a day or however long it takes to be satisfied before any paperwork is signed or money changes hands.  I drove an aviator for a few hundred miles and saw a few minor issues.  I can't remember buying any car that did not develop issues.  What you described the car as having when you left the dealers lot should have been caught in the acceptance inspection by you.  Dealers do not do complete inspections, never had one done, besides if I am forking over the money, you bet I do the inspection .  I do appreciate you detailing issues you have, helps the rest of us look at possible problem areas during our pre buy inspections.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I too am surprised that such items weren’t noticed during the purchase review of the vehicle, but I highly value the post because mine is just now being built and I’m trying to gauge the potential improvement in quality since earlier builds.  So far, I’ve seen little  to no info on any built with VINs later than the 8000 range.

Thanks for the info.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustangchief said:

My wife spends 15 minutes trying on a new dress, if there is a fitting issue, she does not buy it.  I spend hours at tool stores, going over the ergonomics of each brand before paying a couple hundred bucks.  Why on earth would you not inspect a 75K car before handing over a check?  Mine is being built as I type, the New Car manager already knows I will take a day or however long it takes to be satisfied before any paperwork is signed or money changes hands.  I drove an aviator for a few hundred miles and saw a few minor issues.  I can't remember buying any car that did not develop issues.  What you described the car as having when you left the dealers lot should have been caught in the acceptance inspection by you.  Dealers do not do complete inspections, never had one done, besides if I am forking over the money, you bet I do the inspection .  I do appreciate you detailing issues you have, helps the rest of us look at possible problem areas during our pre buy inspections.

Because the car was for wifey as a gift that was planned for way in advance for her to get mid/end of summer for a special occasion, and we were already now 10 weeks past our original delivery date. It was to be intended for her as a gift for a specific occasion, and 10 weeks later past the date promised, we still had no car. SO, We took it "as is". The dealer OFFERED to keep it for another week or two to sort it out,  at  the time of delivery, but we were so tired of waiting. I also figured, CORRECTLY, why leave them the car for a week or two ONLY to get it back and find more stuff when we got it back, only to again have to return it to the dealer again. I spoke to wifey and said that its better we use it for two weeks for her to play with it and at the same time we can see if there was anything else that needed to be sorted out. And that plan actually saved us even more trouble , since we made a more comprehensive list of stuff we found only a week later  and then two weeks later.  Besides, I already traded in another car towards the purchase worth $36K and that car was already sold by the dealer, so I had credit on account. 

There were logical reasons behind us accepting it as is with the defects on delivery. 

7 minutes ago, Lorac said:

And BTW,  we dropped the car off at the dealer this morning, and were told by the service writer that some replacement parts are NOT that readily available from his experience with these new Aviators. He said that he had a few Aviators in already for repairs/service  and it took two weeks for replacement parts delivery,  since the was told that parts are being prioritized for new car assembly firstly, and that has cause delays in warranty replacement parts being shipped out for repairs..... Just passing along the info that I was told. The service writer told me he replaced an instrument cluster for a different customer, and it took two weeks for that part to arrive before they even started the repair. 

Edited by Lorac

Sorry... I don't buy the "it was a gift and 10 weeks late.." no excuse for accepting a vehicle that had that many problems at time of delivery AND taking it anyway. YOU accepted delivery of the vehicle and now you want to complain?? Lincoln is at fault for letting it out of the factory, and the dealer is at fault for letting it roll over the curb, but YOU at fault for accepting it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twintornados said:

Sorry... I don't buy the "it was a gift and 10 weeks late.." no excuse for accepting a vehicle that had that many problems at time of delivery AND taking it anyway. YOU accepted delivery of the vehicle and now you want to complain?? Lincoln is at fault for letting it out of the factory, and the dealer is at fault for letting it roll over the curb, but YOU at fault for accepting it.

OMG, its " Church lady" from SNL...... Well, aren't you so special...... and judgmental !!   

I never asked for your opinion, so thank you, BUT actually, NO thank you for your comments. 

I was posting for MustangChief.

Go find another thread to TROLL.

Sucks for sure. I’m exactly 5 months since order on my Aviator and nearly two months since build, but mine is stuck at the factory due to the rear seat recall.  Still a few weeks from delivery I imagine. 

The manager of my dealer told me Lincoln has them doing min. 30 minute test drives on aviators as part of the PDI to check for issues.  Not promising!

my Vin is in the 12000s but I will be having them slap a dealer plate on it and will be doing a shakedown (dealership is about 1.5 hours away from my home) before I hand over any money.  I can’t imagine I’d want to take a vehicle that’s been sitting Outside on the ramp for 8 plus weeks anyway but we shall see.

It feels ironic to read this, isn't it?  Lincoln is posed to fly, don't let the poor workmanship drag you down, get your  act together, quick!

There’s also the small matter of build quality. Lincoln consistently gets recognized among the most reliable car brands. Land Rover vehicles, on the other hand, are almost as legendary for their maintenance costs as their luxury and off-roading prowess. So not only will you save money at purchase time, you’ll likely keep saving money over the years of ownership.

Range Rover’s branding is admittedly formidable. However, the Lincoln will give you that same timeless style and pampered feel for a little more than half the Range Rover’s price. No, buying an Aviator will not instantly turn you into Matthew McConaughey. But Range Rover ownership won’t exactly make you James Bond dashing off to Skyfall, either.

I have bought many Lincolns without notable problems (besides MyLincoln Touch in 2011).  I just bought a 2019 BL Nautilus and the only problem I had at delivery were missing/broken clips in the A-pillar interior trim piece - which the technicians promptly soiled with grease while fixing it.  I did run into my first mechanical problem in recent memory, a leaking left rear strut.  Getting an appointment with a loaner vehicle turns out to be hard all of a sudden despite going Black Label so I'm still waiting to get it fixed.

I'm very patient however, although I think the dealership experience could be better.  Maybe I have high standards in terms of cleanliness, but the worst part of taking my car to my current dealer is that they get the interior dirty which I have to confront them on every time.  I'm definitely going to try another dealership for my next service.  

10 hours ago, Lorac said:

OMG, its " Church lady" from SNL...... Well, aren't you so special...... and judgmental !!   

I never asked for your opinion, so thank you, BUT actually, NO thank you for your comments. 

I was posting for MustangChief.

Go find another thread to TROLL.

Boo hoo hoo...the "regulars" are being mean to me...when you posted here in an open forum, you get opinions whether you like it or not....

Funny you see trolls everywhere, you must live in a house of mirrors.

18 hours ago, Wheeling said:

No, buying an Aviator will not instantly turn you into Matthew McConaughey.

Please tell me this isn't true... I ordered a GT with slate gray interior like in his Aviator comercial and purchased some expensive watches and casual suits thinking it would make me just like him. I even got a manicure and my eyebrows plucked... bummer!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, twintornados said:

Boo hoo hoo...the "regulars" are being mean to me...when you posted here in an open forum, you get opinions whether you like it or not....

Funny you see trolls everywhere, you must live in a house of mirrors.

Please kindly keep your comments to yourself... PLEASE, PLEASE PLEASE, I kindly ask you 

I took the time to post this information about my experiences/problems related to my Aviator to share with other owners since early production problems seem to be an issue. 

The purpose of this thread was to help and share other information with other Aviator owners. THAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE THREAD.  Thats all.

This tread is NOT about how you FEEL I should handle my dealings related to my Aviator. I am not interested, and it is NOT what this thread is about. I am NOT interested in what YOU think I should have done or what I should do going forward. I am not interested, and I am NOT asking your opinion or for your feedback. And I doubt anyone else is interested in your comments. 

Your comments do not add any value to this thread and are just antagonistic, and it is obvious that you are just TROLLING to get a response from me or others. Like I said before, go TROLL some other thread, NO one here is taking your bait. 

Please do NOT debate me on this subject, let put it to bed. 

Again, the focus of this thread is about exchanging information for current and future owners who may have Aviators on order or have deposits related to productions problem. 

Go an Troll on the Tornado Forum.    

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lorac said:

Again, the focus of this thread is about exchanging information for current and future owners who may have Aviators on order or have deposits related to productions problem.

I have one ordered so I'm keenly interested in hearing about quality issues and hopefully tracking how they're improving over time... so thank you for starting this thread.  But may I suggest that it would serve that purpose much better if your title and OP didn't start out by saying the Aviator is a piece of crap.  That's also an antagonistic statement and not something those who have purchased/ordered an Aviator wants to hear.  Its understandable that you're upset about all the issues you have found, but what's important now is that they correct everything to your satisfaction.  None of your issues are serious, even the panel alignments, so give your dealer a chance to fix them and keep us informed on how they do.  I predict that in the end, you'll be happy you chose the Aviator over the Land Rover!  Of course this is easy for me to say because it's not my car... mine should be built next week and if it's not perfect I'll do my best to find a nicer way of calling it a piece of crap, LOL!!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CoolScoop said:

I have one ordered so I'm keenly interested in hearing about quality issues and hopefully tracking how they're improving over time... so thank you for starting this thread.  But may I suggest that it would serve that purpose much better if your title and OP didn't start out by saying the Aviator is a piece of crap.  That's also an antagonistic statement and not something those who have purchased/ordered an Aviator wants to hear.  Its understandable that you're upset about all the issues you have found, but what's important now is that they correct everything to your satisfaction.  None of your issues are serious, even the panel alignments, so give your dealer a chance to fix them and keep us informed on how they do.  I predict that in the end, you'll be happy you chose the Aviator over the Land Rover!  Of course this is easy for me to say because it's not my car... mine should be built next week and if it's not perfect I'll do my best to find a nicer way of calling it a piece of crap, LOL!!

So true, but I posted when I was so fed up with all the "crap" I found that was wrong with the Aviator... in the heat of anger and at the end of my rope, trying to be patient dealing with this car.  Additionally the Aviators alarm kept going off the entire night before I posted ( for NO reason) , so I am sure you can see how irritable I was that I kept waking up to RE-shut down the alarm every few hours. That alone would make any one else use the word Siht instead of Crap..... actually. 

My wife and I both 100% L-O-V-E the Aviator. The ride, the materials, the features ( when they worked) and have No regrets about getting it...... ONLY that the one we got had so many issues. Even if the dealer Lemonlaws this one we are ordering another in the exact same spec and will give Ford Lincoln another chance. The car is awesome when everything works. 

But really.... I never in my life would expect so many mechanical electrical issues and  also the panel gaps to be so way off that it was embarrassing. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lorac said:

Additionally the Aviators alarm kept going off the entire night before I posted ( for NO reason).

Look at the bright side, at least it's going off for no reason due to some correctable problem... future autonomous cars with artificial intelligence will be doing it on pupose as a prank and laughing about it!!!

Edited by CoolScoop
  • Haha 1