vehicle taxes in your state?

Semi rant here... :rant2:

I know some states have some hideous vehicle fees, and I know most of you poor souls have to pay sales tax which of course we here in Oregon don't have to pay. Wondering how many "sneaky" fees your county/city/state throw at you?

Here in Portland our lovely city does their best to keep taxing everything they can and usually shows up on property taxes where there's nothing you can do about it if you want a home. Since most people in our county don't own homes, they always present bond measures that pass placing X-amount of money per $1000 accessed on your home. Since there's more renters than home owners, the bonds almost always pass, make the home owners pay for everything. Cat juggling awareness bond? Boom- we got it.

959831295_Catjuggler.jpg.e1e293db1872db809b3a0059e9dc509b.jpg

So I've had the very good fortune and at the same time lack of common sense to buy new cars so I know there's always fees involved when you buy a new car but this time when we went to order the Nautilus, here was another "fee" and hundreds higher. I was only told that it was relatively new and it is what it is, the salesguy seemed oblivious to it's evil base (he no longer works there). I research it and now we have a "dealer privilege tax" here. Anyone have anything similar to that? Since the city/county/state knows they're taxing the crap out of us, they of course turn to getting additional money from things that are luxuries. Buying a car? Total luxury. So I find out that they implement a tax on dealers to have the "privilege" of selling a car! :swear:

Whenever the dealer sells a car, they have to pay .005 which doesn't sound like a lot but it is still hundreds of dollars tacked onto all the other fees and over a thousand total for our newest splurge for the Nautilus. So then the dealer just passes the fees off to the consumer. Curious about other states' fees, if they have one like that...

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

It is pretty funny, though sad, that renters somehow think that higher taxes on the dwellings they live in don't end up getting passed on to the renter.

Depends if they have rent controlled apartment or receive subsidized rent, they may never see an increase or a few bucks as that's all that is allowed. 

The same thing happened in Detroit and it is actually one of the main reasons people left the city over the years, you can live in a $200,000 house 20 min outside the city and would pay $3115 in property taxes and have a great school district and no city income tax; you could live in a $100,000 house in the city of Detroit and pay $3,478/year and have a crap school district plus pay an additional city income tax. Became a no brainer of where you should move.

Oh and car insurance will set you back $3000-$5,000 a year in Detroit. You'd be at $1200-$1500 in the burbs.

Edited by jasonj80

Man if you live in NM I envy you. I love that place. Love to vist there, hang out in Old Town Albuquerque - best food in the world there ?! My brother moved there sight unseen from Hawaii just because I said it was awesome. He lives in Rio Rancho, loves it there! Santa Fe is awesome too ?️

I have noticed that it's America's version of the Autobahn there... my God people drive freakin crazy fast there! :peelout:

Ga used to charge 6%-7% sales tax on new cars plus yearly ad valorem tax that usually ran $100-$600 depending on the value of the vehicle.

A few years ago they did away with the annual ad valorem and replaced the sales tax with a one time 7% ad valorem tax.  So for new cars it was a wash and you saved the annual ad valorem tax.  Good deal.   But they made it up on used cars - now you pay the 7% on every used purchase (one time).

6 hours ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Love to vist there, hang out in Old Town Albuquerque - best food in the world there

I agree. Was one of the best parts of visiting my grandpa when he was alive. And I'm spoiled be good Mexican food in southwest Detroit, restaurants operated by the massive Mexican immigrant population there. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I agree. Was one of the best parts of visiting my grandpa when he was alive. And I'm spoiled be good Mexican food in southwest Detroit, restaurants operated by the massive Mexican immigrant population there. 

We make a point of stopping at either Armando's or Taqueria El Rey when downstate.  An old girlfriend lived on Scotten near Clark Park many years back.  I spent may a day in Mexicantown.

• Like 1

Tag fees up jan 1 an additional 50clams per year to $150...trade in value over $10k now taxed in addition to vehichle purchase price (equates to additional $800 (approx) needed to pay for average current transaction which is 35k clams)...dealers not happy (double tax..dealers right to be upset)..what that means for lost car sales or people immediately seeking lower msrp's unknown at this point ...this could hurt fords current business model by driving customers across the street to the foreign guys who have cheap(er) cars...again, time will tell....nothing yet on taxing adult bicycles over 200 clams...i am sure thats to come (washington state or oregon impose additional state tax of 15clams-loss in road tax)...some states tax hybrids additional clams as they dont buy enuff gas at pump...again road tax.....nothing yet on lectrics...too soon but there has been talk amongst the political thieves...wont be surprised if state ups tag fees to 1k clams (state, county, city all can and do impose tax on gas) on lectrics to cover cost in lost road tax, county, city loss in revune..political thieves have discussed mileage tax per miles driven but that has stalled -for now..i expect this to return...yea, sporty times

You don't say where you live, but that sounds like it may be more than here in Priusville (Portland). I went down yesterday to finalize my paperwork and get my trade in number and it came to way over $500 in title, license and registration fees, and then $337 in our new "Dealer Privilege tax" - so almost $1000 to buy a new BL Nautilus in tax. I don't really understand the trade-in value versus whatever scenario you guys have, here everything is a set number except for the new tax on overall value of the car. OF COURSE we tax bicycles here.... if they could tax stick horses they would. ? Waiting for the skateboard tax now.....

I thought I read somewhere that car buyers in Virginia get the big shaft the worst... some states are really vulgar in their "stick it to the buyer - who cares about stimulating the economy!" But I dunno...

On 11/18/2019 at 10:56 AM, Deafsoundguy said:

Man if you live in NM I envy you. I love that place. Love to vist there, hang out in Old Town Albuquerque - best food in the world there ?! My brother moved there sight unseen from Hawaii just because I said it was awesome. He lives in Rio Rancho, loves it there! Santa Fe is awesome too ?️

I have noticed that it's America's version of the Autobahn there... my God people drive freakin crazy fast there! :peelout:

Deafsoundguy, you are so right :), a lot of crazy drivers in Albq.  I'm about 4 hours southwest but I drive through Rio Rancho on my way to Salt Lake City.  I plan my trips to avoid "rush hour" up there.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

New vehicle purchases are subject to 4.5 % sales tax here in Hawaii, however...

Registration taxes are through the roof, they are calculated on vehicle weight, my lowly '02 Honda CR-V costs $320.00 annually to register.

I suspect my soon to arrive 2020 Ranger SuperCab will top the $400 mark, I don't mind paying these fees if the State and City & County of Honolulu were to maintain the roads here. The road and highway "wizards" here obviously do not know the difference between the words "maintenance" and "repair".

We've some thoroughfares here who's driving surface would make a 3rd. world country traffic engineer cringe.

• 4 months later...
On 12/1/2019 at 8:22 PM, RickinLA said:

DMV fee's here in California for my '19 Nautilus were $640.00   The killer was the California sales tax $5334.00

This is exactly why when someone asks about my next new car - I reply "..my next new car will be repairing my old truck..."   I seriously doubt I'll need > $6k in actual repairs to get my truck to go another 50k miles. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kev-Mo said:

This is exactly why when someone asks about my next new car - I reply "..my next new car will be repairing my old truck..."   I seriously doubt I'll need > $6k in actual repairs to get my truck to go another 50k miles. 

No different than people who use the excuse of not wanting to pay $3K for a repair so they buy something new.   $3K is probably no more than 5 months of new car payments.   It's always going to be cheaper to repair what you have instead of buying new even if you have to put in a new engine.

Not to say people shouldn't buy new if that's what you want.   Just don't rationalize it as saving money.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Not to say people shouldn't buy new if that's what you want.   Just don't rationalize it as saving money.

You translated exactly what my 'anecdotal' post was meant to say. ?   And for the record, I 'love' my old truck as much as I have any new vehicle I have ever purchased.  Guess I am fortunate that I don't get the itch so much any more.

Also, to the initial question; I live in Un-Incorporated rural Colorado so my sales tax is very small.  Colorado road/ownership taxes on your annual registration are very high, based on the sale price of the vehicle.  They are subsequently reduced each year for 10 years.  In spite of the recent very substantial increases in ownership taxes, our roads are a disgrace, and they never get it right when they try and improve them.  Granted, extreme hot and cold is hard on infrastructure.

The 4 seasons of Colorado:  Winter, More Winter, Still Winter, Construction.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, RedHoncho01 said:

Ohio has a 6% sales tax for the state.  Local municipalities such as counties or cities can add up to 1% sales tax.  My newly purchased used Lincoln Nautilus had nearly $3000 in sales taxes because my city took their 1% cut.

Link.jpg

That is a handsome rig, love that it's an actual color, not a shade of gray.

• Like 1

CT 6.35% sales tax for sale price up to $50,000 and I believe it's 7% for the additional price over the $50,000. There is a sales tax credit for trade-ins. CT also charges dealers a $100 fee on each used vehicle sale. In addition, CT DMV requires dealers to run compliance checks to make sure customers don't have outstanding property taxes. If so, the dealership has to collect the outstanding property taxes, send a driver to pay the customer's arrears in cash and send the receipt to DMV documenting that the outstanding taxes have been paid or DMV will not process the registration for the vehicle being purchased. And customers wonder why dealer's conveyance fees are so high!