Seeking Ideas for Phone Mount Point

requa

I have a 2018 Fusion Sport. I don't often use my phone for GPS, but when I do, I use a magnetic mount that clips to the AC vent. This works, but has a few problems -- it blocks the vent, it makes it too easy accidentally to press the hazard light button, and, most troubling, I recently had an issue with my phone overheating because, even though I had heat directed only to the floor vents, enough heat still came through the top to heat the back of my phone. I'm trying to sort out an alternative way to mount a phone for occasional use.

I would rather not give up a cup holder. I really don't want to do anything permanent or difficult to remove, such as screws, adhesives, or tape. I was hoping I could find something similar to a cup-holder mount that would fit in the small compartment between the radial shift knob and the large open area where the DC and USP ports are. This compartment is around 2 inches by 4 (guessing measurements here) and is open at the top. Ideally, I could see something between an adjustable cup holder mount and a CD slot mount, that would expand to fit in this opening with enough friction to hold it in place, and a goose-neck or similar arm supporting the magnetic mount. I haven't found anything that fits yet. 

Has anybody out there had similar thoughts and found a solution?

16 minutes ago, requa said:

I have a 2018 Fusion Sport. I don't often use my phone for GPS, but when I do, I use a magnetic mount that clips to the AC vent. This works, but has a few problems -- it blocks the vent, it makes it too easy accidentally to press the hazard light button, and, most troubling, I recently had an issue with my phone overheating because, even though I had heat directed only to the floor vents, enough heat still came through the top to heat the back of my phone. I'm trying to sort out an alternative way to mount a phone for occasional use.

I would rather not give up a cup holder. I really don't want to do anything permanent or difficult to remove, such as screws, adhesives, or tape. I was hoping I could find something similar to a cup-holder mount that would fit in the small compartment between the radial shift knob and the large open area where the DC and USP ports are. This compartment is around 2 inches by 4 (guessing measurements here) and is open at the top. Ideally, I could see something between an adjustable cup holder mount and a CD slot mount, that would expand to fit in this opening with enough friction to hold it in place, and a goose-neck or similar arm supporting the magnetic mount. I haven't found anything that fits yet. 

Has anybody out there had similar thoughts and found a solution?

Hi requa. If you do not want to use a cup holder mount, is there any particular reason you do not want to use a suction cup windshield mount? I always found them the best on my older cars, since it keeps the phone/GPS closest to eye level.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks for the quick response. I actually thought about a suction cup mount, but I guess I'm just happier not having the phone in my field of view of the windshield. I'd prefer to keep it below dash level. Vent level is good, but not if it makes the phone overheat.

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Car play or android auto via usb and use the touchscreen 

I wish! Sadly, my car has the non-touchscreen Sync system. I got to use Android Auto on a rental car recently and would certainly prefer that if I had it. Thanks

1 hour ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

How is that possible with a Fusion Sport?

Believe it or not the sport was based on the SE luxury package plus a few standard items.  Sync 3 only came with the 401a package not the base 400 package.  Surprising - maybe that’s one reason it didn’t sell very well.

9 minutes ago, akirby said:

Believe it or not the sport was based on the SE luxury package plus a few standard items.  Sync 3 only came with the 401a package not the base 400 package.  Surprising - maybe that’s one reason it didn’t sell very well.

Wow, and I thought the 2020 packaging was screwy 

11 minutes ago, akirby said:

Actually, it was more like 325 standard items that appealed to me -- 325 horses, that is. I assume sales lagged because, with the usual upgrade packages, pricing crept high enough that buyers turned to euro sports instead. I'm happy with the performance at a more reasonable price without some bells and whistles.