Bring This Back Please

Dlcorbett

14 hours ago, Dlcorbett said:

Ford, bring back the drives please. 

Or......grab a thumb drive size of your choice (here's an example of 1tb under $140), load your music/photos etc on that.  Or....load everything on your phone so you can use Carplay or Android Auto.  Big upside, you wouldn't be limited to using it on just one vehicle.
BTW it isn't just Ford deleting CD players.  I recall reading an article about 3 years ago where a Mazda engineer was quoted as saying there were no vehicles with CD players on drawing boards at that time. 

2 minutes ago, akirby said:

Do you actually have CDs in the vehicle and listen to them?

Surprisingly, yes since that's the family car and my flash drive lives in the other car. Though I admit it is getting more rare since I'll play stuff through my phone more and more. usually podcasts or Pandora. 

Edited by fuzzymoomoo

10 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Surprisingly, yes since that's the family car and my flash drive lives in the other car. Though I admit it is getting more rare since I'll play stuff through my phone more and more. usually podcasts or Pandora. 

Umm... you do realize you can buy another cheap flash drive and copy the same songs to it, right?  ;)

35 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I want to build a media server so I can just stream everything right through our phones and not have to deal with the flash drives (especially since I'm always adding stuff to the library). 

That's simple enough except where the article says home wifi substitute car's bluetooth: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-old-android-device-media-server/

Or: https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-media-center-apps-581324/

Edited by Gadgetjq

6 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

That's simple enough except where the article says home wifi substitute car's bluetooth: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-old-android-device-media-server/

Or: https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-media-center-apps-581324/

I tried not long ago but my modem is not very configurable and I ended up somehow banishing that computer from the internet entirely. I guess AT&T doesn't want people to use servers that aren't their own paid cloud service. 

26 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

One more suggestion (what I use).  Get an iPod touch.  The 64gb model will hold around 7000 songs which should be enough to drive around with.  You can set up the usual playlists, genres, artist and other categories. When plugged into Ford's USB data port the iPod is recognized and you have access to all the categories right on the screen. 
I'm guessing you have a fairly large music collection but if you cherry pick the tunes you actually enjoy listening to it could be whittled down to a 'my favorites' collection for the car(s).

8 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

One more suggestion (what I use).  Get an iPod touch.  The 64gb model will hold around 7000 songs which should be enough to drive around with.  You can set up the usual playlists, genres, artist and other categories. When plugged into Ford's USB data port the iPod is recognized and you have access to all the categories right on the screen. 
I'm guessing you have a fairly large music collection but if you cherry pick the tunes you actually enjoy listening to it could be whittled down to a 'my favorites' collection for the car(s).

Why? I have an iPhone XR and I hate being limited by its storage capacity. I have to at work because my reception is usually pretty awful in most parts of the building and not every job has a power outlet so I have to limit streaming whenever possible. 

I have over 1000 songs on my small flash drive.  That’s about 80 cds or 50 hours of music.  And you can easily rotate the music on it anytime you want. To me that seems a lot easier than carrying around and swapping out CDs.   But hey it’s your vehicle and your music.  Just trying to give you alternatives.

19 hours ago, akirby said:

You can burn all the CDs you want onto $10 flash drives for free or play them from your phone.

I have one but i used the drive in the nav to burn music on cds that werent on the flash drive/computer.  Why waste time to take the extra step to burn cds onto a computer (not to mention most new computers dnt have cd drives either, my wifes computer doesnt) when i could just burn the cd as i listened to it in the truck.

Edited by Dlcorbett

1 hour ago, Dlcorbett said:

I have one but i used the drive in the nav to burn music on cds that werent on the flash drive/computer.  Why waste time to take the extra step to burn cds onto a computer (not to mention most new computers dnt have cd drives either, my wifes computer doesnt) when i could just burn the cd as i listened to it in the truck.

Because you can move the flash drive from vehicle to vehicle without having to burn it again and the flash drive can hold far more music than the nav hard drive.  It’s just more flexible than using the hard drive.

So for me it worked out.  I have a flash drive with music that was on an old computer.  I ended up buying new cds but i had no computer to put them on.  When i bought the nav, i connected my flash drive to it, but i also had those new cds, so i burned them to the drive.  Low and behold, a kid went in and stole all them cds(about 15) but they were burned to the truck drive so it wasn't a loss.  My point is, having a flash drive is great, but if you no way of updating the library on it, the trucks drive supplements that.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, probowler said:

A USB drive is great after you've gone home and ripped the CD. It's useless when you're leaving the store and want to listen to your new album on the road.

So you and the other two people in the country that buy CDs in stores are SOL.....  ?

13 hours ago, probowler said:

A USB drive is great after you've gone home and ripped the CD. It's useless when you're leaving the store and want to listen to your new album on the road.

So, in my never ending quest to offer solutions to forum member issues there's this.  Boom!

image.png.66da7ff3c3f1fcef9941261f966f0d9a.png

Slap your new storebought CD in that baby, and set it on the seat next to you.  Only $30 at Best Buy.

Or (more practical) just use a portable CD burner/player plugged into your USB data port.

image.thumb.png.9dac9168fe5870e56ea52ab214559cf6.png

Amazon https://amzn.to/34PDsYQ

Best Buy stopped selling them awhile back.  Overall sales are just 6% of what they were back in 2000.  It will be difficult to buy a physical cd outside of a specialty music store and those are few and far between (around here at least).

I even heard vinyl might outsell CDs soon.

• 1 month later...
On 11/17/2019 at 11:39 AM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I want to build a media server so I can just stream everything right through our phones and not have to deal with the flash drives (especially since I'm always adding stuff to the library). 

On 11/17/2019 at 3:11 PM, fuzzymoomoo said:

I would rather just have access to everything, which is why I am slowly moving away from CDs in the car. The CD player is just nice to have for the few trips a month I make to the record store. 

Late to the party as usual, but still felt like weighing in. Generally speaking, exposing your home network to the world by punching holes is a bad idea. And I doubt there's a single ISP offering fixed IPaddr's at no extra charge. I don't know how big your library is or how you rip (lossless can get awfully heavy on storage requirements but is also impractical for streaming), but you really should consider getting a handful of larger flash drives (as has been said already) and pair them up with sync software so that as you add to the library you let software manage copying the changes. I settled on bvckup (https://bvckup2.com/) for reasons I no longer remember. It's cheap, straightforward and fast. Well, one of the reasons is I don't want everything on my phone since I tend to shuffle and get bored with too many "deep" tracks. To me the biggest PITA is the microSD swap, but that's phone not flash.

Regarding the original subject, CD players are mechanical nightmares anyway. Too many cheap (and not so) ones have failed prematurely over the years. Seems like a perfect candidate for decontenting. Unlike the integrated bumper hitch receiver on a truck that's touted for its stock towing capability. (had to sneak that in)

Edited by mybkvu