VVT errors

Alx

So the dreaded P0022 (overretarded intake cam) that is plaguing the gen 2 Raptors is alive and well with the 2018+ Navigators. How do I know? I just got one. Brought it to the dealer (best folks on Earth and I am not kidding here) and they said that a TSB is due in Q4 of 2019 along with updated VVT solenoid part. The original one is on “intergalactic backorder” and besides, what are you going to do in another 15k miles when it fails again? So I am going to wait for the new part. The truck drives alright with a quiet clatter/ knock at idle.... Ford has known about this issue for few years now but has refused to do anything. As a result their two halo trucks - the Raptor and the Navigator are hit by this.... 

A friendly advise to Ford- if you want to poach high end customers from the German manufacturers please do develop vehicles that do not need valvetrain work after 15k miles. Or if they do need said work please get off your collective asses and offer the updated part in a timely manner. 

unbelievable.... 

I actually have a 2018 Raptor (late 2017 build) with 26k miles and a 2018 Navigator (late 2018 build) with 9k miles. No engine issues yet with either (knock on wood) but glad I sprung for a Ford PermiumCare extended warranty on both. I hope they get yours sorted quickly. 

Edited by LincolnLawyer
  • Like 1

I shudder every time I read one of these cam phaser posts... I’m sitting at 23k mikes now and pray I never have the issue.  We got the extended warranty and now extremely glad we did.  Sad thing is we bought this rig for 10 year family adventure vehicle including towing our overland trailer.  Idk how my wife will feel going to the middle of nowhere and experiencing the cam phaser noise.  I know it’s not catastrophic but she won’t.  She already saw the new defender online and digs it but doesn’t know their reliability is far worse than anything else.