2018 25K 1.5L EB Coolant loss

HotRunrGuy

2 hours ago, YT90SC said:

Ford goes by the VIN/miles/in service date and and base number of the causal part for any warranty claim. It can get cloudy in some instances, but the causal part for TSB 19-2375 is listed as 6009, which should be covered for the entirety of your PowertrainCare coverage. 

Thanks. That TSB is a number I haven’t seen and doesn’t come up on the internet  The one I’m familiar with is 19-2208. 

On 1/18/2020 at 6:55 PM, Escapism said:

Thanks. That TSB is a number I haven’t seen and doesn’t come up on the internet  The one I’m familiar with is 19-2208. 

19-2208 has been superceded and is for 2.0L. 

19-2375 is the most up to date one for the 1.5L. It was released mid December. 

On 1/17/2020 at 6:12 PM, jcartwright99 said:

And this is one reason why I come here.....information!  I wasn't even aware of this at all. I have to admit, I don't look at the coolant level very often but I will now. I was able to find this TSB for the 2.0. This is something I will check and keep any eye out for it. I probably will have them test it before my warranty is out to be 100% sure.

TSB for 2.0

I'd heard that the 2.0L was affected, in addition to the 1.5L in my '17 Fusion.  I'm glad I read the TSB for the 2.0.  I was nearly about to complain about the plant in Wales that made the engine in my Fusion, but since the 2.0 is manufactured in Spain, the plants have nothing to do with it.  It's clearly an issue of lousy design.

5 hours ago, CLTEcoBoost said:

I'd heard that the 2.0L was affected, in addition to the 1.5L in my '17 Fusion.  I'm glad I read the TSB for the 2.0.  I was nearly about to complain about the plant in Wales that made the engine in my Fusion, but since the 2.0 is manufactured in Spain, the plants have nothing to do with it.  It's clearly an issue of lousy design.

The 2.0eb for North American vehicles comes from the Cleveland plant in Ohio.

29 minutes ago, akirby said:

I'm headed out of town for the week, but next weekend I'll look for a 2019 2.0EB Edge at a local dealer, and take a picture of the country of origin sticker, which if I remember, was separate from the Mulroney sticker.  I'm pretty sure it said Spain.

HRG

3 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

I'm headed out of town for the week, but next weekend I'll look for a 2019 2.0EB Edge at a local dealer, and take a picture of the country of origin sticker, which if I remember, was separate from the Mulroney sticker.  I'm pretty sure it said Spain.

HRG

It’s possible but it’s strange that Ford would announce that if it wasn’t true.

On 1/20/2020 at 3:59 PM, YT90SC said:

19-2208 has been superceded and is for 2.0L. 

19-2375 is the most up to date one for the 1.5L. It was released mid December. 

This issue of coolant leaking into the cylinder is a risk on the 1.6 engines too, right?  I'm not finding any TSBs on the 1.6, but I'm assuming its a risk given how similar the engines are.  

So, I guess Ford is going to screw everyone again and not do a recall. Here is the design flaw. Pictures are of the 1.5 showing the saw cut between the cylinders from the bad block   The other picture is the replacement block. Go figure. 

FA472EC1-2316-45B2-A0EF-6148521F2E98.jpeg

A41F49AF-EE92-45DF-8ADD-6BA4F2621A01.jpeg

Edited by Escapism

Interesting photos. I think I am going to have the dealer do a pressure test at 55k on my 2.0. Obviously, if they see a problem fix it. If no problem detected, get an extended warranty. Now that I know of this issue, there is no way I am going to not get an extended warranty. 

Edited by jcartwright99

1 hour ago, lukemullen said:

This issue of coolant leaking into the cylinder is a risk on the 1.6 engines too, right?  I'm not finding any TSBs on the 1.6, but I'm assuming its a risk given how similar the engines are.  

Ford has always been "replace longblock" on the 1.6 for coolant intrusion into the cylinders. Honestly, it has been a while since I was in one and that was only for cracked heads on the early ones. They are VERY similar engines, but I can't remember for sure if they had cuts or not.  

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 7:51 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

HRG

As I thought I remembered, here are 2 from this morning. 1 from an Edge, the other from a Fusion. Both 2.0 EB's.

HRG

2.0 Spain 2.jpg

2.0 Spain 1.jpg

Edited by HotRunrGuy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/18/2020 at 5:18 PM, YT90SC said:

Ford goes by the VIN/miles/in service date and and base number of the causal part for any warranty claim. It can get cloudy in some instances, but the causal part for TSB 19-2375 is listed as 6009, which should be covered for the entirety of your PowertrainCare coverage. 

Are you sure TSB-2375 is the correct number? Can’t find it anywhere, which is unusual after this much time has passed. 

40 minutes ago, Escapism said:

Are you sure TSB-2375 is the correct number? Can’t find it anywhere, which is unusual after this much time has passed. 

TSB 19-2375      https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=2ahUKEwi-4IK99MroAhX4Ap0JHZG5BbQQFjAAegQIBRAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fordescape.org%2Fattachments%2Ftsb-19-2375-pdf.76450%2F&usg=AOvVaw0Gfzr3Cw-ASJtWabCOMaGB

HRG

On 4/2/2020 at 5:57 PM, Escapism said:

"2375" is the WRONG number, as it is "19-2375". TSB 19-2375 has been superseded to 20-2100, which added flex plate replacement along with the short block. The causal part still remains 6009 and will be covered by powertrain and most ESP coverages with powertrain options. Still needs to be verified by specific VIN though.