2018 25K 1.5L EB Coolant loss

HotRunrGuy

Well, here we go. Mine has been sipping some coolant lose. Have had to add a very small amount of coolant over the last month or two. Couple of rough starts in the last month. Plugged in Forscan and I do have a P0316 DTC. Misfire on the first 1000 revs. Thank goodness I have 100,000 PowerTrain. I currently have 32,000 miles.

Stopped by the Ford dealer. They said it’s a good thing I have the 2.0 cause the 1.5 is on backorder. Like that gives me a warm and fuzzy.

Traded in my 2013 2.0 Titanium for:
2017 Lightning Blue Titanium | 2.0. | AWD | Pano Roof | Tow Package
Sport Appearance Package | Roof Racks

This is being covered under warranty, right?  The dealer that did mine could not have been any better, immediately supplied a loaner for the duration, kept me informed on the status. Was there some inconvenience, sure.   But no-where near enough for me to swear off the brand.

HRG

13 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

This is being covered under warranty, right?  The dealer that did mine could not have been any better, immediately supplied a loaner for the duration, kept me informed on the status. Was there some inconvenience, sure.   But no-where near enough for me to swear off the brand.

HRG

Yes, I’m still under factory warranty. And I got really lucky with my service advisor, really nice guy. He thanked me for doing all the diagnostic research for him. Haha. I told him about the symptoms and the codes I read and wrote the TSB number. 

And I love my Escape sooo much. But here’s the big question. What’s different about the engine they are going to drop in from the old one? Will it last 200,000 plus miles? Is the only difference those little slits between the cylinders?

I have PowerTrain warranty until 100,000/2024,  so I guess I have that much time to ponder. 

Edited by Escapism

1 hour ago, Escapism said:

...I love my Escape sooo much. But here’s the big question. What’s different about the engine they are going to drop in from the old one? Will it last 200,000 plus miles? Is the only difference those little slits between the cylinders?

Since the upgraded cooling passages will only be a positive for you, I would say your Escape should give you plenty of use after the repair is completed. I am hoping you get a 2020 Escape loaner for comparison review.

Edited by twintornados
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Escapism said:

And I love my Escape sooo much. But here’s the big question. What’s different about the engine they are going to drop in from the old one? Will it last 200,000 plus miles? Is the only difference those little slits between the cylinders?

The EXACT same thing as the 1.5L, as we have been over several times on this thread: Cut passages vs drilled, I don't think anything else changed. Have seen a LOT of high mileage 2.0 Ecoboosts. Service the trans regularly and it should go a long way. 

• Like 1

So on the 2013-2016 Escape 2.0, what kind of high mileage are you seeing?  Just curious what you consider high mileage.  I'm only at 58k miles.  Did the trans a few thousand ago.  My bigger concern is that PTU.  Ford needs to put a drain and fill on it.

On 6/27/2020 at 10:54 AM, twintornados said:

Since the upgraded cooling passages will only be a positive for you, I would say your Escape should give you plenty of use after the repair is completed. I am hoping you get a 2020 Escape loaner for comparison review.

That would be awesome, I absolutely love my Escape. The 2017 Titanium with Sport Appearance package is the year Ford nailed it IMHO. 

I declined the loaner. With the virus I’ve got both kids home from college and my wife is furloughed. So I have 3 other cars to drive. And yes, keeping up the maintenance on 4 cars keeps me on my toes. Heck, had to make an excel spread sheet just to keep track. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 4:43 PM, 92merc said:

So on the 2013-2016 Escape 2.0, what kind of high mileage are you seeing?  Just curious what you consider high mileage.  I'm only at 58k miles.  Did the trans a few thousand ago.  My bigger concern is that PTU.  Ford needs to put a drain and fill on it.

Remember that early 13's are nearly 8 years old. The average person drives something like 10-15k/yr? 20k/yr puts them easily at 150k miles. See a few at/near 200k. The trans is almost always the first failure and even then they can usually be PartyPack (R) -ed cheaper than a reman. Once in a while get a turbo due to wear on the waste gate rod/pivot. 

100% Totally agree on all the PTU's. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2020 at 11:22 AM, YT90SC said:

The EXACT same thing as the 1.5L, as we have been over several times on this thread: Cut passages vs drilled, I don't think anything else changed. Have seen a LOT of high mileage 2.0 Ecoboosts. Service the trans regularly and it should go a long way. 

So when did Ford switch to drilled  coolant passages? My new engine sticker. 

38B3D28A-F4BA-45AD-92F7-E374992D5DE8.jpeg

On 7/20/2020 at 7:06 PM, YT90SC said:

April 8th 2019 is the last date that the TSB applies to for Escape. So, it would be after that.  

Well that’s good for me!

Got my Escape back and it’s runs great. Three weeks from start to finish, which is excellent. Couple of parts held things up, but the long block got to the dealer pretty quick. Had a very good service advisor.  I was told the tech has done about sixteen 1.5’s, so that  boosted my confidence quite a bit. An excellent job by the tech. Everything was put back together like factory. 

After driving a couple days the engine light came on. Checked it with Forscan and it was just one DTC, P04DB. “Crankcase Ventilation System Disconnection”. I searched online and there was a TSB for this code. Took it back and they reprogrammed the PCM. No big deal. 

Finally got around to installing my Kuga tail lights. 

28B61558-6E5E-4889-8BEB-BE6B662C889F.jpeg

CB9B2443-0DAF-43BC-A9EB-B4AF43BF5DC5.jpeg

51670C79-D766-42BF-9E66-24C6C00B42B9.jpeg

Edited by Escapism

• 4 months later...
On 7/23/2020 at 8:48 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

Good to hear you got 'er back, so take a deep breath and put this behind you.

HRG

Would love to put it behind me, but how do I know it won't happen again? Lots of Escapes are going in for coolant intrusion, and apparently so are other models with ecoboost engines. Its a huge issue.

Ford Faces New Class-Action Lawsuit Over 4-Cylinder EcoBoost Coolant Leak Issue - autoevolution

Ford EcoBoost Problems Lead To Class Action Lawsuit | CarComplaints.com

Ford EcoBoost Engine Leak So Bad There's A Class-Action Lawsuit (motorbiscuit.com)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/26/2020 at 10:16 PM, HotRunrGuy said:

Merry freakin' Christmas,,,,,

10K miles and 12 months after the short block replacement, it's low on coolant again,,,,,,

The saga continues.  HRG

Really sad to hear that. What was the production date and plant for the new block?

• 3 weeks later...

2017 Escape Titanium 1.5 L.  44,000 miles.  Driving to work on Thursday got the "Engine Fault Service Now" warning light. I was 2 miles from work, so got off interstate drove some back streets the rest of the way in.  At lunch i started it, no more warning light.  Driving in Friday Warning light again "Engine Fault Service Engine now", quickly followed by "engine overheating stop now" (or to that effect).  Temp gauge went very high. Pulled off of high way onto off ramp. Stopped for 10 min.  +/-   .  Started up temp was back to normal.  Drove side streets the rest of the way in.  Once sun came up checked coolant, it was very low.  At lunch went to the auto parts store to get coolant, and added about 1/3 of bottle.   Warning lights were all off now.  drove home back roads.  Checked coolant when i got home, it was low and again i added about 1/3 bottle.   Fri night  did some goggle searches to find the issues on 1.6 and 1.5 engines for coolant loss.   Sat morning started escape, a lot of cloudy white smoke.  Back out of garage due to smoke and parked outside.  

Sunday drove around neighborhood, no smoke.  coolant didn't go down, but again only a few miles driving.   I set up appointment for warning light, but nothing available until March 12.   I've e mailed my service manager to see if I can get in earlier, and if its safe to drive the 40 miles to the dealer i bought it from and who has done my servicing.  

I drove my Taurus to work today.   Would it be safe to drive , or if warranty anyway, and  Ford dealer would be ok?

Edited by markfnc

23 hours ago, markfnc said:

2017 Escape Titanium 1.5 L.  44,000 miles.  Driving to work on Thursday got the "Engine Fault Service Now" warning light. I was 2 miles from work, so got off interstate drove some back streets the rest of the way in.  At lunch i started it, no more warning light.  Driving in Friday Warning light again "Engine Fault Service Engine now", quickly followed by "engine overheating stop now" (or to that effect).  Temp gauge went very high. Pulled off of high way onto off ramp. Stopped for 10 min.  +/-   .  Started up temp was back to normal.  Drove side streets the rest of the way in.  Once sun came up checked coolant, it was very low.  At lunch went to the auto parts store to get coolant, and added about 1/3 of bottle.   Warning lights were all off now.  drove home back roads.  Checked coolant when i got home, it was low and again i added about 1/3 bottle.   Fri night  did some goggle searches to find the issues on 1.6 and 1.5 engines for coolant loss.   Sat morning started escape, a lot of cloudy white smoke.  Back out of garage due to smoke and parked outside.  

Sunday drove around neighborhood, no smoke.  coolant didn't go down, but again only a few miles driving.   I set up appointment for warning light, but nothing available until March 12.   I've e mailed my service manager to see if I can get in earlier, and if its safe to drive the 40 miles to the dealer i bought it from and who has done my servicing.  

I drove my Taurus to work today.   Would it be safe to drive , or if warranty anyway, and  Ford dealer would be ok?

I dropped off at local Ford dealer last night.  They had loaner ready for me.  They may not get started today, but we will see how it goes.   Eco Sport loaner.  Very small.  

It is the coolant leaking into cylinder issue.  Replacing under warranty.  Eco Sport rental in the meantime. No timeline yet on how long it will take. 

Does engine warranty start over at 0 miles and the date of install?

Any issues with replacement?

I’ve seen pictures where instead of a slit for coolant between cylinders, the replacement has an oval hole off to the side of the cylinder.  When did that change go into the production 1.5 engine? This will be 2 Fords in a row for me with issues.  My 2013 Taurus had the water pump issue, that was out of warranty and cost me $2,200. That issue was the water pump being internal to engine, and when it goes leaking coolant into engine.  Bad design.  But no issues with wives 2005 Freestar mini van (kept it 15 years and 205,000 miles), or my 2007 Explorer that my son is driving now with 245,000 miles.

Edited by markfnc

The block design changed on April 2019. The production date (printed on the block's side) should be after Apr 9th to make sure you're getting the new design. Here (Egypt) the dealer warrants the new block for 40,000 KMs or 2 years regardless of the original warranty.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markfnc said:

It is the coolant leaking into cylinder issue.  Replacing under warranty.  Eco Sport rental in the meantime. No timeline yet on how long it will take. 

Does engine warranty start over at 0 miles and the date of install?

Any issues with replacement?

I’ve seen pictures where instead of a slit for coolant between cylinders, the replacement has an oval hole off to the side of the cylinder.  When did that change go into the production 1.5 engine? This will be 2 Fords in a row for me with issues.  My 2013 Taurus had the water pump issue, that was out of warranty and cost me $2,200. That issue was the water pump being internal to engine, and when it goes leaking coolant into engine.  Bad design.  But no issues with wives 2005 Freestar mini van (kept it 15 years and 205,000 miles), or my 2007 Explorer that my son is driving now with 245,000 miles.

The block design changed on April 2019. The production date (printed on the block's side) should be after Apr 9th to make sure you're getting the new design. Here (Egypt) the dealer warrants the new block for 40,000 KMs or 2 years regardless of the original warranty.

• Like 1