2018 25K 1.5L EB Coolant loss

HotRunrGuy

On 3/3/2021 at 3:03 PM, markfnc said:

It is the coolant leaking into cylinder issue.  Replacing under warranty.  Eco Sport rental in the meantime. No timeline yet on how long it will take. 

Does engine warranty start over at 0 miles and the date of install?

Any issues with replacement?

I’ve seen pictures where instead of a slit for coolant between cylinders, the replacement has an oval hole off to the side of the cylinder.  When did that change go into the production 1.5 engine? This will be 2 Fords in a row for me with issues.  My 2013 Taurus had the water pump issue, that was out of warranty and cost me $2,200. That issue was the water pump being internal to engine, and when it goes leaking coolant into engine.  Bad design.  But no issues with wives 2005 Freestar mini van (kept it 15 years and 205,000 miles), or my 2007 Explorer that my son is driving now with 245,000 miles.

I saw these same pictures on Escape.org,, below. There, we guessed  it might have changed in August 2018, based on my engine sticker shows Changan (Ford's Chiese partner) origin, and was the only photo submitted that wan't Cleveland, Valencia or undocumented. My build date was 8/18, (2018MY) but I don't know the date of engine manufacture.

Yellow arrow shows old design, red arrows show update.

1.5Lold.jpg.189f60a3c3baf33eadcd4db510a00a1f.jpg308621510_1.5Lnew.jpg.20ae162fa394c657bb9d3e38881592b8.jpgimg_3615-jpg.75725.thumb.jpeg.f7ff7392e5196089873aed6061e286cc.jpeg

According to the Detroit News (or Free Press, I forget which one I saw this in earlier this week), the Class Action lawsuit is headed to court shortly.  In pre-trial motions, Ford is denying any responsibility for this, claiming that all of the cases either involve vehicles out of warranty and/or have excessive mileage.  Sounds like a clear loss for Ford to me.  Probably will result in lifetime powertrain warranties, IMO.

On 3/3/2021 at 4:03 PM, markfnc said:

It is the coolant leaking into cylinder issue.  Replacing under warranty.  Eco Sport rental in the meantime. No timeline yet on how long it will take. 

Does engine warranty start over at 0 miles and the date of install?

Any issues with replacement?

I’ve seen pictures where instead of a slit for coolant between cylinders, the replacement has an oval hole off to the side of the cylinder.  When did that change go into the production 1.5 engine? This will be 2 Fords in a row for me with issues.  My 2013 Taurus had the water pump issue, that was out of warranty and cost me $2,200. That issue was the water pump being internal to engine, and when it goes leaking coolant into engine.  Bad design.  But no issues with wives 2005 Freestar mini van (kept it 15 years and 205,000 miles), or my 2007 Explorer that my son is driving now with 245,000 miles.

Update.  No word on parts coming in yet.  I asked for something other than EcoSport, the seats/head rest killed my back.  They gave me a 2021 Escape Titanium.  A lot better than eco sport.  Good chance to compare my 2017 to the 2021.  

1 hour ago, markfnc said:

Update.  No word on parts coming in yet.  I asked for something other than EcoSport, the seats/head rest killed my back.  They gave me a 2021 Escape Titanium.  A lot better than eco sport.  Good chance to compare my 2017 to the 2021.  

Good for you. We started off with a Fusion, after 3 weeks they asked for it back and we got an Escape SE for the duration.

HRG

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, markfnc said:

Finally getting started. Service Manager took me back on Saturday to take a look.

Looks familiar.  It is impressive to me that dealership-level Techs can dis-assemble a vehicle to this extent, and put it back together like the original build.  On mine, it would be difficult to determine that it's ever been apart.

HRG

6 hours ago, HotRunrGuy said:

Looks familiar.  It is impressive to me that dealership-level Techs can dis-assemble a vehicle to this extent, and put it back together like the original build.  On mine, it would be difficult to determine that it's ever been apart.

HRG

Service manger said this is a 20+ year guy.  

Got it back yesterday.  Seems to run great.  Technician seemed very organized.  Only issue was service desk every calling me with updates during process.  They said they are short staffed.  Had a text system, i would text every Tuesday for update and never got a reply.  they called back 1st 2 weeks, but never after that.  Never called to say they had started, that missing piece (short block) had arrived, etc.  

• 3 months later...
On 3/23/2021 at 7:16 AM, markfnc said:

Finally getting started. Service Manager took me back on Saturday to take a look.

20210320_101820.thumb.jpg.6ab56b5b4b984f59324603d63205068c.jpg20210320_102554.thumb.jpg.a6c133c2280f7c90954bdcff8fd8b328.jpg

1st long trip since repair.  Drove from Raleigh to northern indiana via The Henry Ford Museum and back.  drove great. smooth.  my back hasn't hurt at all, great seats.  32 mpg with some in town thrown in.  

• Thanks 1

I just stumbled on to this thread so I went and checked my 2019.  The coolant is low but not terribly so and there is no white smoke at startup or any other time. I'm now wondering if I should buy a ford ESP from one of the dealers that offers it online before my 3/36 runs out.

14 minutes ago, bcintx said:

I just stumbled on to this thread so I went and checked my 2019.  The coolant is low but not terribly so and there is no white smoke at startup or any other time. I'm now wondering if I should buy a ford ESP from one of the dealers that offers it online before my 3/36 runs out.

I purchased a Ford ESP for some additional peace of mind, but why not make an appointment with a dealer and have them run the pressure leak-down test on it, per the TSB that covers your Escape?

HRG

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Has there been any legal updates on the repair of the small block engine coolant problem for the 2018 Escapes.  We hit 98,000 and the problem started.  Dealership said "sorry, you need a new motor" and we can not help you.