Mustang name might anchor a whole family of models

So, Ford slap the Mustang name and pony badge on a whole bunch of other cars because the Mustang name is something "special". The specialness will wear off pretty quickly once they do that and all Ford will have done is sully their greatest icon.

What they could have done it a 3 pronged approach to their ponies. The current lineup of S550 Mustangs, the Bronco and its new siblings and an all new looking pony for their electrified SUVs......perhaps Gelding.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oldsmobile slapped "Cutlass" on everything in the late 80's and early 90's. How did that work out for them?

I am glad I have one of the last of the real Mustangs. I like the current car and I guess it needed to happen, but it is too refined for my taste. This is why I chose to buy a used, low mileage 2013 four years ago. 

My son, who is 30 years old, has said numerous times that getting into my car says "I'm driving a brutal, muscular Mustang" where as getting into the newer generation says "I'm driving a refined sporty car". To each their preference, but for an old school guy like me, I love the old formula.

13 minutes ago, twintornados said:

Would have been interesting if they named the Mach E the Thunderbird instead or even Falcon.

Thunderbirds have gone through many changes over the years. I think the publics reaction would have been more accepting.

Just my observations: Other than this site; about 90% of the comments I've heard from friends, family, and facebook are: "That's not a Mustang...not even close!".

• Like 1

Just now, 351cid said:

Thunderbirds have gone through many changes over the years. I think the publics reaction would have been more accepting.

Just my observations: Other than this site; about 90% of the comments I've heard from friends, family, and facebook are: "That's not a Mustang...not even close!".

The "That's not a Mustang" crowd is paying attention to a vehicle that they may not have cared about had it been called anything else. And I think that's the point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

What else could they offer under the Mustang name?  They already have a 2+2 coupe/convertible & a 5 seat performance "SUV" (to me it's a CUV, not an SUV).  Maybe a 5 passenger, 4 door "coupe"?  A 3 or 5 door "hot hatch"?  

I'm wondering if the new "affordable vehicle" will wear a Mustang badge of some sort?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

The "That's not a Mustang" crowd is paying attention to a vehicle that they may not have cared about had it been called anything else. And I think that's the point.

First you have the folks that hate BEVs in general because they don't want to lose ICE vehicles.   Then you add the folks that love cars and hate SUVs and crossovers and the folks who think "Mustang" is a sacred name that can only belong to one vehicle plus all the general Ford haters.  None of those people were actually potential buyers, just internet whiners.

This would be a lot more understandable if the traditional Mustang was going away, but it's clearly not.  I bet they'll get at least 3 years worth of pre-orders.

If it does backfire somehow, they can easily change the taillights and take Mustang off of it and make it a different vehicle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NLPRacing said:

The Mustang isn't a car for everyone to be sure. I've owned 3 in my lifetime, but had to wait 30 years for the one I have now because it wasn't practical for my life style. I always had the desire to have one. I believe that slapping "Mustang" on different vehicles will delute the brand and it will become generic over time.

I cant understand why all those guys are complaining because Ford uses its stregths to sell more cars. Mustang is an icon, and associate a product with this name  can help to sell it better. The Mustang Mach E is a Mustang, because is a powerful, fast and very atractive (maybe the more beautiful Ford today...) car.  Why not call it Mustang?

Edited by falconlover 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

First you have the folks that hate BEVs in general because they don't want to lose ICE vehicles.   Then you add the folks that love cars and hate SUVs and crossovers and the folks who think "Mustang" is a sacred name that can only belong to one vehicle plus all the general Ford haters.  None of those people were actually potential buyers, just internet whiners.

This would be a lot more understandable if the traditional Mustang was going away, but it's clearly not.  I bet they'll get at least 3 years worth of pre-orders.

If it does backfire somehow, they can easily change the taillights and take Mustang off of it and make it a different vehicle.

I fall into three of the four catagories, so my personal view is jaded.

My sister is as far removed from being a motorhead as can be. She fired off a text to me this morning asking what I thought about what Ford has done to the Mustang. I explained that this wasn't "the new Mustang" but just a vehicle carring the Mustang name. Her response: "That's stupid."

I think this is Ford's second marketing blunder this year. It really should have been named "Ford Mach E"

2 minutes ago, falconlover 1 said:

All those that dont like the name Mustang applied to an electric crossover, they are going to have to get used to it. Mustang will be a sub-brand and other Mustangs will come in different forms.

Their heads will explode.........

6 minutes ago, 351cid said:

I fall into three of the four catagories, so my personal view is jaded.

My sister is as far removed from being a motorhead as can be. She fired off a text to me this morning asking what I thought about what Ford has done to the Mustang. I explained that this wasn't "the new Mustang" but just a vehicle carring the Mustang name. Her response: "That's stupid."

I think this is Ford's second marketing blunder this year. It really should have been named "Ford Mach E"

Do you honestly think this will prevent people from buying a Mustang coupe?   Do you think people who would have otherwise bought a "Ford Mach E" will refuse to buy it because it's a Mustang?    If the answer to both is No (and I believe it is) then it can't be a marketing blunder.  May or may not work out but expanding the Mustang brand awareness to other vehicles that have similar (or better) performance as traditional sales are dropping and BEVs begin to replace ICEs seems like a wise move to me.  

58 minutes ago, 351cid said:

Oldsmobile slapped "Cutlass" on everything in the late 80's and early 90's. How did that work out for them?

The Cutlass nameplate from the 1960s through the early 1980s stood for stylish luxury at an affordable price in a reasonably sized package.

Oldsmobile's downfall was slapping the Cutlass nameplate on the A-body Ciera, N-body Calais and W-body Supreme. Those cars were not particularly stylish or luxurious (plus, they were initially riddled with quality bugs, while traditional rear-wheel-drive Cutlasses had been reliable for their era). That is when the problems really started for Oldsmobile. (The evaporation of the personal luxury coupe market didn't help matters.)

So there is a lesson there for Ford, but it's more complex than "don't try to leverage a popular nameplate to sell other vehicles."

Edited by grbeck

1 hour ago, NLPRacing said:

What else could they offer under the Mustang name?  They already have a 2+2 coupe/convertible & a 5 seat performance "SUV" (to me it's a CUV, not an SUV).  Maybe a 5 passenger, 4 door "coupe"?  A 3 or 5 door "hot hatch"?  

I’m thinking sedan, maybe the “four door coupe”  approach, but could also see more traditional Sedan. Would make sense, and could also support a Lincoln.

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, lfeg said:

What I see coming - Trucks, suvs, cuvs are Ford badged. Cars are Mustang badged. Mustang is the sub brand for the cars that Ford builds.

Will they be though? Don't forget the rumored Bronco subbrand.

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if this whole subbrand thing offers any value to Ford.  Do we need this?

10 minutes ago, sullynd said:

I’m thinking sedan, maybe the “four door coupe”  approach, but could also see more traditional Sedan. Would make sense, and could also support a Lincoln.

I agree.   A Mustang inspired sports sedan or "four door coupe" would be a great addition for those who are not attracted to SUVs, CUVs minivans, station wagons or other utilitarian type vehicles.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, probowler said:

Honestly, I'm starting to wonder if this whole subbrand thing offers any value to Ford.  Do we need this?

You don't think baby bronco will get more publicity and be better received as a "Bronco <whatever>" than it would be as a Ford <whatever>?

Mustang already has sub models - GT350, GT500 plus upcoming hybrid and probably a BEV coupe.

F series has been a sub brand for decades.

It's called brand equity and it's stupid to waste it on one vehicle given a choice.  

• Like 3