Mustang name might anchor a whole family of models

Just now, brucelinc said:

I agree.   A Mustang inspired sports sedan or "four door coupe" would be a great addition for those who are not attracted to SUVs, CUVs minivans, station wagons or other utilitarian type vehicles.

But it was called "affordable" which to me means Focus/Ecosport pricing.  If they wanted to do that with a sedan they'd just keep the Focus or Fiesta.

Just now, akirby said:

But it was called "affordable" which to me means Focus/Ecosport pricing.  If they wanted to do that with a sedan they'd just keep the Focus or Fiesta.

Understood....I am just thinking of other possibilities for the Mustang brand at some point....not necessarily "affordable."  

46 minutes ago, ausrutherford said:

Most people are going to end up calling this just the Mach E...just like the RRE and the RRV are simply called the Evoque and Velar. 

But the thing is, if they call it anything beyond just the Mach E, they will call it the Mustang Mach E, not the Ford Mach E. Just like the Velar. Sub-branding it ensured it would never be called the Land Rover Velar.

2 hours ago, 351cid said:

The Mustang isn't a car for everyone to be sure. I've owned 3 in my lifetime, but had to wait 30 years for the one I have now because it wasn't practical for my life style. I always had the desire to have one. I believe that slapping "Mustang" on different vehicles will delute the brand and it will become generic over time.

Exactly this.

Mustang (to me) has always been a car to aspire to. Something cool, something special. Practical? Not really, although it's relatively practical compared to many other sporty cars. I'm lucky enough to have two....an S197 that is may absolute pride and joy and is kept immaculate. It's only ever driven for fun......for Mustang meets and cruises. I never take it to the store. Every drive is special. THAT to me is what Mustang is about.  About four years ago, I bought an older SN95 for daily driver duties.That one does everything and I accept it'll get door dings and the like.

But, I'm a family man and we have two kids and a dog. For carting them about we have a Kuga (Escape). Primarily my wife's car, but it's the "do it all" car we need.

Would I swap all of them for a Mustang that does it all? Nope. Not for a second.

I agree slapping the Mustang name on a selection of cars will just dilute it. Before last weekend, if you said you had a Mustang, the reaction was "cool". It won't take long for that coolness to be non-existent when Mustang might as well mean mini-van.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Do you honestly think this will prevent people from buying a Mustang coupe?   Do you think people who would have otherwise bought a "Ford Mach E" will refuse to buy it because it's a Mustang?    If the answer to both is No (and I believe it is) then it can't be a marketing blunder.  May or may not work out but expanding the Mustang brand awareness to other vehicles that have similar (or better) performance as traditional sales are dropping and BEVs begin to replace ICEs seems like a wise move to me.  

Of course my answer is no.

The marketing blunder is akin to Olds slapping "Cutlass" on every POS they built.  It is diluting the brand .

What's next? Build a wagon of the Fiesta 4 door and call it "Mustang WeGo"? How about an Explorer package called "Mustang Tagalong"?

3 minutes ago, 351cid said:

Of course my answer is no.

The marketing blunder is akin to Olds slapping "Cutlass" on every POS they built.  It is diluting the brand .

What's next? Build a wagon of the Fiesta 4 door and call it "Mustang WeGo"? How about an Explorer package called "Mustang Tagalong"?

You’ve obviously missed the performance aspect of the Mach E.

5 minutes ago, akirby said:

You’ve obviously missed the performance aspect of the Mach E.

Sorry, but it's too early IMO in the BEV to seriously consider a few brief stints to 60 mph (before having to recharge) a "performance" vehicle. My "performance" vehicles will run hard all day and all nightr provided that I take 5 minutes to pump another tank of 93 octane here and there.

10 minutes ago, grbeck said:

True, but is that taking into account overseas sales? I thought it has been meeting Ford's expectations in other markets.

Ford is preparing the replacement for the Mustang when the coupes and ICE vehicles will no longer conquest customers....  and that will be as soon as a ten years from now...

1 hour ago, 351cid said:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/interesting-facts-ford-mustang-mach-e

Go here and just scroll down to the comments. These people are some of the ones Ford is trying to reach Looks to me that the vast majority say "That's not a Mustang...calling it that is dumb"

Your using what is basically the trash dump (comment sections of news articles) of  of the internet to prove your point? Seriously?

Talk is cheap-but from what I've seen, lots of people are interested in it once you filter out the noise from idiots/snowflakes/whatever about attaching the name to a BEV-when the vast majority of them wouldn't be able to afford it in the first place. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, akirby said:

You don't think baby bronco will get more publicity and be better received as a "Bronco <whatever>" than it would be as a Ford <whatever>?

Mustang already has sub models - GT350, GT500 plus upcoming hybrid and probably a BEV coupe.

F series has been a sub brand for decades.

It's called brand equity and it's stupid to waste it on one vehicle given a choice.  

Are the GTs really considered "submodels"? They're just high performance Mustangs? 

2 hours ago, 351cid said:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/interesting-facts-ford-mustang-mach-e

Go here and just scroll down to the comments. These people are some of the ones Ford is trying to reach Looks to me that the vast majority say "That's not a Mustang...calling it that is dumb"

I'm sure this is going to start a s*** show but here goes... The Demographic that Ford is going after with the Mach-e isn't going to be on the Fox News Website. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jasonj80 said:

I'm sure this is going to start a s*** show but here goes... The Demographic that Ford is going after with the Mach-e isn't going to be on the Fox News Website. 

Any news comment section is a dumpster fire of spam bots and idiots that can post anything. I'd take zero credence from them. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

considering we, and we are a small Mum and Pop store in comparisons to some of the big boys around us, have over 25 deposits already since last night...Im not sure they need to focus on any demographic...