Mustang name might anchor a whole family of models

14 minutes ago, Deanh said:

considering we, and we are a small Mum and Pop store in comparisons to some of the big boys around us, have over 25 deposits already since last night...Im not sure they need to focus on any demographic...

Dean, looking a the Mach-E website, it says that the Mach-E will only be available at an "EV certified Ford Dealer."  What is an EV certified dealer?

Bill Ford's thoughts on the Mustang Mach-E:

"I certainly wasn't sold at the beginning — far from it," Ford said on the sidelines of the vehicle's reveal Sunday night. "They came to me and said, 'We really think we can make this Mustang-inspired, really Mustang-like.' I said, 'You guys aren't telling me you want to call this a Mustang.' No one would say yes, but nobody would say no, either. I said, 'No, I'm sorry, I don't want to hurt the brand. This is not going to be a Mustang.' "

"When I drove it, I knew it had to be a Mustang," Ford said. "Frankly, I was getting there before because I believed the team when they were laying all the specs out. As it evolved and I started to see the performance characteristics, not just the 0 to 60, but the handling dynamics, the driving dynamics and the styling kept evolving, at some point I realized: Yeah, this is a Mustang. The pony could go on the grille."

"It doesn't replace the Mustang car I love," Ford said. "It's an addition to the family, and it's a really important one."

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/bill-ford-didnt-want-call-mach-e-mustang-until-he-drove-it?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=automotive news&utm_content=5b022b0f-4a35-45fe-bb0c-7f9efe6ce7c4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mackinaw said:

Bill Ford's thoughts on the Mustang Mach-E:

"I certainly wasn't sold at the beginning — far from it," Ford said on the sidelines of the vehicle's reveal Sunday night. "They came to me and said, 'We really think we can make this Mustang-inspired, really Mustang-like.' I said, 'You guys aren't telling me you want to call this a Mustang.' No one would say yes, but nobody would say no, either. I said, 'No, I'm sorry, I don't want to hurt the brand. This is not going to be a Mustang.' "

"When I drove it, I knew it had to be a Mustang," Ford said. "Frankly, I was getting there before because I believed the team when they were laying all the specs out. As it evolved and I started to see the performance characteristics, not just the 0 to 60, but the handling dynamics, the driving dynamics and the styling kept evolving, at some point I realized: Yeah, this is a Mustang. The pony could go on the grille."

"It doesn't replace the Mustang car I love," Ford said. "It's an addition to the family, and it's a really important one."

https://www.autonews.com/cars-concepts/bill-ford-didnt-want-call-mach-e-mustang-until-he-drove-it?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_term=automotive news&utm_content=5b022b0f-4a35-45fe-bb0c-7f9efe6ce7c4

Meh, what does he know?

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

All those that dont like the name Mustang applied to an electric crossover, they are going to have to get used to it. Mustang will be a sub-brand and other Mustangs will come in different forms.

?

7 hours ago, akirby said:

Do you honestly think this will prevent people from buying a Mustang coupe?   Do you think people who would have otherwise bought a "Ford Mach E" will refuse to buy it because it's a Mustang?    If the answer to both is No (and I believe it is) then it can't be a marketing blunder.  May or may not work out but expanding the Mustang brand awareness to other vehicles that have similar (or better) performance as traditional sales are dropping and BEVs begin to replace ICEs seems like a wise move to me.  

I believe there is a segment that will not buy it because it’s a mustang for various reasons. People who aren’t looking for a sports car might just overlook this since it has the mustang name in it. Others who think mustangs are for rednecks might tip their noses up at it and not give it another shot. I said this in another thread but making a new nameplate of its own and making it a new “icon” instead of riding the coat tails of an old “icon” was the better move here to make.

1 hour ago, Deanh said:

considering we, and we are a small Mum and Pop store in comparisons to some of the big boys around us, have over 25 deposits already since last night...Im not sure they need to focus on any demographic...

Has the number of preorders come out yet? I see you can reserve in Canada and EU as well already. 

Im just over 7000 with my order number not sure if that means anything,  If you reserve now what order number do you get?

1 hour ago, mackinaw said:

Dean, looking a the Mach-E website, it says that the Mach-E will only be available at an "EV certified Ford Dealer."  What is an EV certified dealer?

That is correct...requires , from what I recall, trained techs,  staff has to take certification tests ( so long ago Ive forgotten ) and have at least one charger up front and another in the rear...not really a big deal IMO

28 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Has the number of preorders come out yet? I see you can reserve in Canada and EU as well already. 

Im just over 7000 with my order number not sure if that means anything,  If you reserve now what order number do you get?

cant answer that Jason, and I don't think reservation numbers really matter as allocation will be dealer dependent...and on a first come first serve basis....so if a dealer has 100 reservations, yet only gets 80 cars, there may be issues and some really pi$$ed off people. That said...after 12 months , I would almost guarantee there will be bail-outs as its hard to maintain hype over that period, and other desirable  product may show up in the interim...so I advise to hold fast. And congrats.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Meh, what does he know?

Bill will say whatever to sell vehicles. does this sound like something you’d expect to hear about a vehicle with the mustang name on it?

https://jalopnik.com/watch-our-first-ride-along-in-the-2021-ford-mustang-mac-1839929071

“While I will say that getting a ride in a prototype is fun in itself, I didn’t find the Mach-E’s driving characteristics particularly exciting. The car didn’t feel that quick during the hard launch, nor did it feel like it handled the slalom with sports-car precision. It felt soft, I thought. 

Granted, I had just spent the day driving the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 and GT500, which are in a different league than the Mach-E in both handling and acceleration. Plus, my ride-along was super short, but nonetheless, my initial impression was “meh.” Even though I know that, deep down, crossover buyers will probably be content with it.”

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-ev-suv-first-ride-review/

“Dropping the hammer in a Mach-E is nothing like dropping the hammer in a Mustang coupe, and if anything, our ride shone some sunlight on what is essentially propaganda.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp29820421/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-prototype-ride/

“When our test driver did a zero-to-60-mph launch, we didn't feel as much of a shove from the instantaneous torque as expected. It didn't quite feel as quick as when we put the pedal to the floor in our long-term Tesla Model 3. It did, however, feel balanced on a slalom course, and we could see why Ford is claiming that the Mach-E will be its best-handling SUV to date.“

These are the quotes from the first 3 articles I found on google about the first ride impressions of the Mach e. Don’t get me wrong, the articles have lots of good stuff in them and they all agree that it’s a fine vehicle. But shouldn’t they walk away from this ride thinking that the mustang name belongs on it? That in itself seems like a fail (naming wise, not the vehicle) to me.

Edited by T-dubz

30 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

These are the quotes from the first 3 articles I found on google about the first ride impressions of the Mach e. Don’t get me wrong, the articles have lots of good stuff in them and they all agree that it’s a fine vehicle. But shouldn’t they walk away from this ride thinking that the mustang name belongs on it? That in itself seems like a fail (naming wise, not the vehicle) to me.

I really don't care about 0-60 times.  I wonder how well the AWD version will perform in the snow with four snow tires mounted.   

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

Bill will say whatever to sell vehicles. does this sound like something you’d expect to hear about a vehicle with the mustang name on it?

https://jalopnik.com/watch-our-first-ride-along-in-the-2021-ford-mustang-mac-1839929071

“While I will say that getting a ride in a prototype is fun in itself, I didn’t find the Mach-E’s driving characteristics particularly exciting. The car didn’t feel that quick during the hard launch, nor did it feel like it handled the slalom with sports-car precision. It felt soft, I thought. 

Granted, I had just spent the day driving the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 and GT500, which are in a different league than the Mach-E in both handling and acceleration. Plus, my ride-along was super short, but nonetheless, my initial impression was “meh.” Even though I know that, deep down, crossover buyers will probably be content with it.”

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-ev-suv-first-ride-review/

“Dropping the hammer in a Mach-E is nothing like dropping the hammer in a Mustang coupe, and if anything, our ride shone some sunlight on what is essentially propaganda.“

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.caranddriver.com/news/amp29820421/2021-ford-mustang-mach-e-prototype-ride/

“When our test driver did a zero-to-60-mph launch, we didn't feel as much of a shove from the instantaneous torque as expected. It didn't quite feel as quick as when we put the pedal to the floor in our long-term Tesla Model 3. It did, however, feel balanced on a slalom course, and we could see why Ford is claiming that the Mach-E will be its best-handling SUV to date.“

which model was it?.....theres several variants....Id lay money on it NOT being the one they desired...the GT....typical magazine scribes...

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

One thing to note with these articles, the vehicle they were riding in wasn't the performance GT model, and they are still a year out from production so I'm certain suspension and drive train tuning is still happening.  

11 minutes ago, Willwll313wll said:

One thing to note with these articles, the vehicle they were riding in wasn't the performance GT model, and they are still a year out from production so I'm certain suspension and drive train tuning is still happening.  

In the car and driver article it mentions that it was the premium trim with ER battery and awd. This begs the question, why would ford use the premium for these test drives instead of the GT? If you keep telling everyone that it’s a mustang and deserves to be called that, shouldn’t you make sure that all the reporters walk away feeling like that is true? 

2 hours ago, T-dubz said:

This is concerning...very unlike a real mustang..but as we are getting skoled on now the real mustang is a falcon so this is all ok..cheap china torque motors, weaker magnets..lesser current flow..ford went with range first and foremost and truthfully thats the critical feature 99% out there want along with quick charge...but its a falcon so all is good..fords new prius is not a mustang...chebby ruined SS heritage and ford has done the same..

Edited by snooter

2 hours ago, Deanh said:

I would almost guarantee there will be bail-outs as its hard to maintain hype over that period, and other desirable  product may show up in the interim...so I advise to hold fast. And congrats.

Yeah, I might be one of those bail-outs depending what the Bronco looks like. 

I've talked to some of my contacts at Ford and they are also clueless as to how it all works out with allocation at this point as its very fluid, one say exactly what you said, another said it is going to be a heavy focus in California deliveries for early production. The one did say a similar launch and deposit is most likely going to happen for the Bronco. I did also get told that the numbers on range and power (for the better) are going to revised closer to launch, which would fit in Ford's plan for recent introductions.

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

In the car and driver article it mentions that it was the premium trim with ER battery and awd. This begs the question, why would ford use the premium for these test drives instead of the GT? If you keep telling everyone that it’s a mustang and deserves to be called that, shouldn’t you make sure that all the reporters walk away feeling like that is true? 

I think your putting too much faith in humans...not to mention the car in the Jalopnic video looked like it was a camo'd test car...and these cars aren't exactly what is indicative of what end result is. 

1 hour ago, T-dubz said:

I believe they didn't use the GT because it's further behind in development. If I understand correctly, the GT won't be released immediately with the standard and extended range versions; the GT will come some time after.  

3 minutes ago, akirby said:

Do you pick your dealer when you pre - order?  I thought the allocation was to the individual and those individuals chose their dealer in which case there is no dealer allocation.

Yes, you choose the dealer. Had a call from mine yesterday as did a friend who reserved.