Mustang name might anchor a whole family of models

They also used Mustang as a basis for its design, although I think you could get away with a different name just by swapping out the taillights.  The design is otherwise consistent with other Fords, even if everybody would be drawing comparisons to the Mustang.  But in that scenario, the comparisons would be more positive and less divisive.  

I am somewhat onboard with the Mustang name, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't work out longterm.  I still think this is a strange world to mash together and it's hard to see this as customer centric.  I don't know how they got Mustang and not Mustang people onboard in the clinics, but perhaps they did.   I got onboard, but not because it was a Mustang.  I like the tech and design and largely ignore the Mustang nonsense.  I also appreciate the innovative thoughtfulness to the design inside and out, lots of nice touches.  I usually couldn't care less about Ford products because they are bland and penny-pinched to death, even if they are riding on exciting foundations.  But the Mach E excites me because it has many new things to geek out over.  But I'm always on the fringes, usually what I like is a bad thing for Ford, this car seems uncharacteristically indulgent for them.  That tells me that maybe they REALLY get it, they know what excites people in this market.  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, probowler said:

Well if nothing else, Ford got people talking... so I guess that's something?

4 hours ago, RichardJensen said:

And I think that if they'd done that, it would work just as well, but they'd have to do more work putting meaning into the brand because 'Thunderbird' really doesn't signify anything for target customers right now, whereas 'Mustang' at least means something.

I think the grand scheme of things the Mach E will just go by the Mach E with customers. Its like saying Land Rover Range Rover...

• Like 3

9 hours ago, bravestar said:

We all know this isn’t a Mustang. If it means the death of the pony cars, so be it. Let the name die with dignity instead of attaching it to something that does not resemble anything like a Mustang other than the taillights and front end. 

In all seriousness, the Mustang was a secretaries car when it first came out...performance didn't happen til later

Then add in that the Mustang survived mostly on non-performance models most of its lifetime, at least the MME will have performance chops closer to a Mustang GT then an old 88 HP 4 banger Mustang of the 1980s. 

Just because it has an extra 2 doors doesn't change any of that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

In all seriousness, the Mustang was a secretaries car when it first came out...performance didn't happen til later

Then add in that the Mustang survived mostly on non-performance models most of its lifetime, at least the MME will have performance chops closer to a Mustang GT then an old 88 HP 4 banger Mustang of the 1980s. 

Just because it has an extra 2 doors doesn't change any of that. 

Well actually it does and that is the point as far as I am concerned.  The performance is great but it is not the main thing that makes a Mustang a Mustang in my mind.  It is the fact that it is a personal sporty "coupe", it does not have to have high performance to accomplish that.  There are plenty of performance vehicles in all configurations, sedans, trucks, suv's and so on.   The Mach E would of probably sold the same if it was just Mach E.  Keep the Mustang inspired part that is fine, even the horse emblem although I would have changed it a little.  I get why they did it to capitalize o the name recognition to separate it  but the looks and connection to Mustang alone could've accomplished that.  Look in the end it is done I just would not have done it.  Will it stop me from buying a Mustang as my next car of course not, would it stop me from buying a Mach E as my wife's next car, no way I want one.   I just think there would be less opposition from die hard Mustang people although maybe that was part of the point. 

• Like 2

So a few diehard Mustang fans are upset but not enough to stop buying coupes.  Meanwhile a whole new market is opened up for folks who don’t want or can’t have an ICE coupe.

There is at least one more mustang sub branded vehicle on the way, so I guess we’ll have this discussion all over again.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

So a few diehard Mustang fans are upset but not enough to stop buying coupes.  Meanwhile a whole new market is opened up for folks who don’t want or can’t have an ICE coupe.

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

I could completely understand if the coupe was going away....but its not (for at least the next 5 years or so) and for FFS we have a 700HP+ GT500 just going into production...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, akirby said:

There is at least one more mustang sub branded vehicle on the way, so I guess we’ll have this discussion all over again.

No reason to upset the Mustang loyalists though, everything would be the same if the Mach E was just Ford Mach E and not Ford Mustang Mach E.  

16 minutes ago, tzach said:

No reason to upset the Mustang loyalists though, everything would be the same if the Mach E was just Ford Mach E and not Ford Mustang Mach E.  

There are lots of reasons.  Mustang as a brand is iconic but it's being wasted (from a marketing standpoint) on a relatively low volume car that appears to be shrinking in sales.  Making it a sub brand on multiple vehicles makes much better use of the Mustang brand recognition.   Just calling it Mach-E would work but not as well.   And there really is no reason for loyalists to be upset since they're not changing the coupe.  And what would it do to the Mustang brand to have a different Ford vehicle be faster?

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, tzach said:

If a 'loyalist' gets upset and doesn't buy another Mustang because of the Mach E, then he/she isn't really a 'loyalist' now, is he/she?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face. 

I could completely understand if the coupe was going away....but its not (for at least the next 5 years or so) and for FFS we have a 700HP+ GT500 just going into production...

You go into a restaurant and order a dish with remoulade sauce and what arrives is mayonaise; it is disappointing, no matter how good it is.

You guys don't understand and probably won't. I suspect that the folks that don't get why those of us that are upset are a little younger and from different mind sets.  We call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel. It doesn't matter that they are similar. As a multible Mustang purchaser (both used and new), I have the right to complain when I feel the brand I love is being cheapened and will complain anyone that listens.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

If a 'loyalist' gets upset and doesn't buy another Mustang because of the Mach E, then he/she isn't really a 'loyalist' now, is he/she?

You like that "car" and I don't. I can bitch and you can swoon....part of being 'Merican.

14 minutes ago, 351cid said:

You guys don't understand and probably won't. I suspect that the folks that don't get why those of us that are upset are a little younger and from different mind sets.  We call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel. It doesn't matter that they are similar. As a multible Mustang purchaser (both used and new), I have the right to complain when I feel the brand I love is being cheapened and will complain anyone that listens.

So I've bought two Mustangs, both GTs and new, so my option doesn't count?

What it boils down to is that you don't want change-Ok I get that, but things change and if the Mustang doesn't "change", it won't survive, and for people to say that is ok is completely self serving. Your not going to change Ford's decision on this. 

I have no problem adding to the Mustang lineup, as long as it meets the requirements to be a Mustang-but then again the reason the Mustang survived so long was because of boring/not that performance orientated cars. So there is no laws set in stone about that. The coupe and the performance models associated with that aren't going anywhere for the mid-term. 

I also have no issue with a more practical Mustang, which the Mach E is going to be. 

I think Mustang "loyalist" are missing the point here... since MACH E derives its marketing power from the Mustang, the existence of MACH E reinforces the importance of Mustang in the Ford line up. It increases the odds that the traditional 2 door coupe will survive. If MACH E end up being successful, that's a powerful argument for Ford to continue to invest in the RWD ICE Mustang to keep the halo intact.

And I agree with someone up thread that said the for a lot of consumers the long term relationship is with MACH E name. Like how we all refer to the truck as F-150 and not the F-Series 150. The whole point of calling this car Mustang MACH E is to broaden the initial appeal because Mustang's brand value is stronger and C-Max or whatever other name Ford can come up with, especially in the markets that will make or break this car. 

Edited by bzcat

1 hour ago, tzach said:

The loyalists need to eat a Snickers bar and get over it.

322dbt.jpg

Edited by MY93SHO
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, tzach said:

Well actually it does and that is the point as far as I am concerned.  The performance is great but it is not the main thing that makes a Mustang a Mustang in my mind.  It is the fact that it is a personal sporty "coupe", it does not have to have high performance to accomplish that.  There are plenty of performance vehicles in all configurations, sedans, trucks, suv's and so on.   The Mach E would of probably sold the same if it was just Mach E.  Keep the Mustang inspired part that is fine, even the horse emblem although I would have changed it a little.  I get why they did it to capitalize o the name recognition to separate it  but the looks and connection to Mustang alone could've accomplished that.  Look in the end it is done I just would not have done it.  Will it stop me from buying a Mustang as my next car of course not, would it stop me from buying a Mach E as my wife's next car, no way I want one.   I just think there would be less opposition from die hard Mustang people although maybe that was part of the point. 

THE MUSTANG COUPE/VERT ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE.  MACH E DOESN'T AFFECT TRADITIONAL MUSTANG AT ALL.

So you won't buy a vehicle because of a name?  Got it.

5 hours ago, akirby said:

oh is there?

1 hour ago, 351cid said:

You like that "car" and I don't. I can bitch and you can swoon....part of being 'Merican.

Whether you like the car or not has absolutely nothing to do with "ruining a brand" or "destroying an icon".   Neither did putting in an automatic transmission or a 4 cylinder engine. 

Edited by akirby

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

Whether you like the car or not has absolutely nothing to do with "ruining a brand" or "destroying an icon".   Neither did putting in an automatic transmission or a 4 cylinder engine. 

Ok.

I wish Ford success in their new "vision" for the company, but until they step up quality; they are pissing in the wind. Naming this new electric Fusion "Mustang" is so reminescent of Oldsmobile naming everything "Cutlass" in the 80's.  That really worked well for them.

Just my opinion...yours may vary.