Mustang name might anchor a whole family of models

47 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

THE MUSTANG COUPE/VERT ISN'T GOING ANYWHERE.  MACH E DOESN'T AFFECT TRADITIONAL MUSTANG AT ALL.

So you won't buy a vehicle because of a name?  Got it.

First I said Will it stop me from buying a Mustang as my next car of course not     Maybe you should read what I wrote before  responding.  

Second - no one said the Mustang is going away or being replaced that is not the issue.  The issue is that using the Mustang name on the car is unnecessary.  It would get the same boost just from saying it was Mustang inspired and the Mustang design cues.  

Also this nothing to do with not wanting change, that is silly.  The Mustang has changed a lot over the years and will continue to do so.  This is about putting the name on a CUV. where it does not belong.  

It is done it is a Mustang because Ford says so and that is there decision but that does not mean I have to like it.  The people that like it are entitled to and I don't know why they need to attack those of us that do not like it and just accept that our opinions differ on this.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tzach said:

First I said Will it stop me from buying a Mustang as my next car of course not     Maybe you should read what I wrote before  responding.  

Second - no one said the Mustang is going away or being replaced that is not the issue.  The issue is that using the Mustang name on the car is unnecessary.  It would get the same boost just from saying it was Mustang inspired and the Mustang design cues.  

Also this nothing to do with not wanting change, that is silly.  The Mustang has changed a lot over the years and will continue to do so.  This is about putting the name on a CUV. where it does not belong.  

It is done it is a Mustang because Ford says so and that is there decision but that does not mean I have to like it.  The people that like it are entitled to and I don't know why they need to attack those of us that do not like it and just accept that our opinions differ on this.  

This is what you said:

7 hours ago, tzach said:

I get why they did it to capitalize o the name recognition to separate it  but the looks and connection to Mustang alone could've accomplished that.  Look in the end it is done I just would not have done it.  Will it stop me from buying a Mustang as my next car of course not, would it stop me from buying a Mach E as my wife's next car, no way I want one.

You literally said you wouldn't buy one because it's named Mustang Mach E.

8 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

In all seriousness, the Mustang was a secretaries car when it first came out...performance didn't happen til later

How do you define performance, I wonder.  My brother's '65 fastback GT seemed pretty nice, even if it was no Shelby. Believe his was a 289 3 speed, but it was a long time ago. I suppose you're talking about HP #'s, but I wonder how they compare in HP/weight ratios. Now I can see how my sister's '66 6-cyl yellow coupe matched your description, but if alive she'd probably still take exception :).

If anyone's keeping score, I have no opinion on the whole branding argument. I never owned one myself and I'm not a marketing type. I do however think it's good they aren't going to call it the Granada.

Edited by mybkvu
  • Like 1

It's certainly a risk, and it remains to be seen whether it pays off or not.

The reality is, it being named A Mustang has brought it a lot more attention than it otherwise would've gotten - both positive and negative.  So in that respect, the Mustang name has already done its job.

It's been argued Mustang styling alone could've worked.....maybe.........but remember, the 2013 Malibu had "Corvette-inspired" styling (all because it had 4 taillights), and that certainly didn't help.  The name "Mustang" obviously conjures images of a 2 door coupe/convertible, because that's what it's always been.  But if you look aside from strictly the vehicle form itself, "Mustang" represents performance, excitement, and enjoyment.....that thrill of stomping the gas and going, letting it gallop, and putting a smile on your face when you drive it.  And I have no doubt the Mach E will gallop and do just that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, probowler said:

I still don't see how a Mustang badge on a random ford crossover sells more cars, but as long as ford doesn't mind pissing off their fans and buyers , then I guess more power to them?

Because it’s not a random a Ford crossover, it’s a sporty low crossover that goes 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and probably handles better than a mustang GT.

Thats the thing you people seem to be overlooking.  It’s FASTER than a Mustang GT!

4 hours ago, 351cid said:

Ok.

I wish Ford success in their new "vision" for the company, but until they step up quality; they are pissing in the wind. Naming this new electric Fusion "Mustang" is so reminescent of Oldsmobile naming everything "Cutlass" in the 80's.  That really worked well for them.

Just my opinion...yours may vary.

I've seen you use that example several times already but it is actually totally opposite of what you are trying to say and undermined your point. The Cutlass name was extremely successful which is why everything was given the Cutlass prefix in the 1970s and 80s. In fact, the 80s was the best decade in Oldsmobile history. They nearly outsold Chevy for several years. In fact, if you excluded pickup trucks and vans, Oldsmobile sold way more cars than Chevy did during most of the 1980s.

Oldsmobile's demise actually started when Roger Smith decided to invest in Saturn instead of keeping GM's traditional divisions funded with new products. The Saturn sedan design was supposed to be an Oldsmobile compact car, which is why it resembled a mini Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme. 

Oldsmobile sales dropped significantly when it stopped using the Cutlass name in the early 90s and coupled with lack of fresh product (everything was warmed over existing platform) it fell from grace very quickly. By the time GM realized its mistake and tried to revive it with Aurora, it was already too late. 

• Like 3

Yes, the Cutlass Supreme and Cutlass Ciera were both huge sellers concurrently in the early to mid 80's. Also, GM's downsizing wasn't going so well by the mid 80's.  The 1985 C and 1986 H bodies sold worse than their RWD predecessors, and the W body did poorly at first. 

15 hours ago, rmc523 said:

This is what you said: would it stop me from buying a Mach E as my wife's next car, no way I want one.

You literally said you wouldn't buy one because it's named Mustang Mach E.

LOL,  forgot the comma, as in no way would it stop me because I want one.  

4 hours ago, rmc523 said:

Ah.  My apologies then!  haha.  Amazing what punctuation can do!

No problem.  

Ironically the CUV, just like the coupe doesn't even say Mustang on it and most people will probably just call it the Mach E anyway.  So in reality it is not that big of a deal but I still would have been happier if it had stayed Mustang inspired only.  I don't even mind the pony badges since they made them the outline with black in the middle.