Mustang name might anchor a whole family of models

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

Mustang brand recognition.  Even if Mustang enthusiasts are not interested, the general buying public is aware of the Mustang nameplate and using it gives the vehicle instant credibility.  

Yes sir. Mustang is the one current production Ford passenger car nameplate that's still recognized and for the most part respected around the world.

• Like 1

Ok - stepping out of the box here so I'll take my lumps when you guys dis-agree.

Ford has one other truly Iconic car name that lies on the shelf - Thunderbird.  In my humble opinion, they should have left the Mustang a pure Mustang, and maybe resurrected the T-Bird name for this new family of Electric CUV product development.  Have it both ways:  1.  An Iconic Ford name that does not conflict with at current product, and 2.  A next generation of great products the fit into the future.

Edited by Kev-Mo

6 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Well, I think I am.  Though, I don't have the funds to buy one right now.

I'm a Mustang enthusiast, even though I've never owned one (maybe I will when my kids move out), but I would have my order in already if I had $50k at my disposal.

I would buy one now if I were in the market and had a place to charge at work. 300 mile range is more than enough for my commute plus errands around town whenever needed. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev-Mo said:

Ok - stepping out of the box here so I'll take my lumps when you guys dis-agree.

Ford has one other truly Iconic car name that lies on the shelf - Thunderbird.  In my humble opinion, they should have left the Mustang a pure Mustang, and maybe resurrected the T-Bird name for this new family of Electric CUV product development.  Have it both ways:  1.  An Iconic Ford name that does not conflict with at current product, and 2.  A next generation of great products the fit into the future.

I've gone back and forth on that. I feel like using the thunderbird name would piss off people the same way the mid-engine corvette pissed people off (boomers in particular). 

7 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

I've gone back and forth on that. I feel like using the thunderbird name would piss off people the same way the mid-engine corvette pissed people off (boomers in particular). 

I don't think enough people remember the original Thunderbird to make any difference.   And the later models were luxo-barges not sports cars.

I think it would have done just as well as a stand alone model or with any other name.   I just think it's funny how wrapped up people get about the name on a vehicle they would never buy in the first place and which has ZERO effect on the original vehicle that they love.

6 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

I see this $50k number tossed around a lot but the base price of this is right around 36k after the federal rebate, and could be less depending on what state you live in. While that is still a lot of money it puts it in reach of a lot more people. Yes it’s for the 230-250 range model and rwd but it’s still an impressive vehicle at that price. 

I agree with you, it's not a bad buy.  But, I like goodies, and if I'm buying a new car, I'm going to get what I want and splurge for the options because I'm going to have it a while.  I'll take a GT in blue, please. :)

3 hours ago, rmc523 said:

The one he wants is that price.

Bingo!

Actually, I have the wife talked into getting one, and in reality, I could afford it (if we just ate rice and beans for a couple years, and I didn't buy my kids new school shoes), but the issue is that she says it would be hers, and I would never get to drive it.  So, I don't have the funds because I can't afford to buy 2. ?

I've also advocated for the use of Thunderbird instead of Mustang for this product, especially since it alludes to Electrification without being so on the nose.  Thunderbird had long lost the right to complain about what type of car it's attached to.  The final T-Bird was largely considered the ultimate form of Boomer cornball so the image is pretty rough at this point and extremely risky to attach to something that is suppose to represent excitement, progress and the future.   It was never a cool or exciting nameplate, it was always something sedate and ambiguous.  But Thunderbird was also fairly malleable, it adapted to the era each time and survived.  It could have worked, but Mustang is obviously far FAR stronger.  People will get over it.

Bronco is also starting right out of the gate as a sub brand, so it will start to make more sense in that context.  

10 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

but the issue is that she says it would be hers, and I would never get to drive it.  So, I don't have the funds because I can't afford to buy 2. ?

My wife & I had a very similar conversation, when we were out looking at Vette's.  I told her that I wanted a 4-speed, she told me to plan on buying 2, because hers needed to be an automatic,,,,,

HRG

27 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Actually, I have the wife talked into getting one, and in reality, I could afford it (if we just ate rice and beans for a couple years, and I didn't buy my kids new school shoes), but the issue is that she says it would be hers, and I would never get to drive it.  So, I don't have the funds because I can't afford to buy 2. ?

My wife said it was either her or the car, so I have to get rid of it.

She's a good cook, non smoker and loves pets.  Available immediately.   Call 876-5309.

• Haha 5

17 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I've also advocated for the use of Thunderbird instead of Mustang for this product, especially since it alludes to Electrification without being so on the nose.  Thunderbird had long lost the right to complain about what type of car it's attached to.  The final T-Bird was largely considered the ultimate form of Boomer cornball so the image is pretty rough at this point and extremely risky to attach to something that is suppose to represent excitement, progress and the future.   It was never a cool or exciting nameplate, it was always something sedate and ambiguous.  But Thunderbird was also fairly malleable, it adapted to the era each time and survived.  It could have worked, but Mustang is obviously far FAR stronger.  People will get over it.

Bronco is also starting right out of the gate as a sub brand, so it will start to make more sense in that context.  

It was so bad I actually FORGOT about the last one on DEW98.  And I owned a Lincoln LS!   I saw one the other day - it does hold up ok as a nostalgia car.

40 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

I've also advocated for the use of Thunderbird instead of Mustang for this product, especially since it alludes to Electrification without being so on the nose.  Thunderbird had long lost the right to complain about what type of car it's attached to.  The final T-Bird was largely considered the ultimate form of Boomer cornball so the image is pretty rough at this point and extremely risky to attach to something that is suppose to represent excitement, progress and the future.   It was never a cool or exciting nameplate, it was always something sedate and ambiguous.......

Do not agree with your assessment of the T-Bird.  Back in the 50's and 60's, the Thunderbird was cool and desirable.  When people write music about a car (Beach Boys), when the car is featured in a movie (American Graffiti), you know you tapped into the culture of the day.  The original two-seat T-bird was hot, much better than a comparable Corvette.  The Square Bird, Bullet Bird and Flair Bird were known for their lavish styling.  They sold well too.  GM took notice, bringing out the Riviera and Toronado.  

But I do agree with you that the T-bird became a luxo-barge joke in the 70's and 80's.  i still cringe when I see one.

I'd love to see another Thunderbird, but I'm not sure in what form.  An EV for sure, but definitely not a CUV.  That means a car, which in today's CUV world is probably a non-starter.  Too bad, to some, it's still a great nameplate.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:14 AM, Kev-Mo said:

In a vacuum, I'd agree, dust off "Thunderbird."

And I think that if they'd done that, it would work just as well, but they'd have to do more work putting meaning into the brand because 'Thunderbird' really doesn't signify anything for target customers right now, whereas 'Mustang' at least means something.