Corsair GT Hybrid Plug In

Nice addition to the line up but Toyota just announced that the RAV4 will get 302HP and go 39miles on a charge.(https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/11/20/los-angeles-auto-show-toyota-rav-4-prime-plug-in/4242923002/)  I know it is a different market, but the comparisons will be made. Ford should have just shown the Plugin when they launched the Corsair. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Nice addition to the line up but Toyota just announced that the RAV4 will get 302HP and go 39miles on a charge.(https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2019/11/20/los-angeles-auto-show-toyota-rav-4-prime-plug-in/4242923002/)  I know it is a different market, but the comparisons will be made. Ford should have just shown the Plugin when they launched the Corsair. 

Makes no sense to put that in a RAV4....a Lexus? Sure, but your average Toyota CUV shopper won't really "care" about 302HP...maybe they will care about the 39 miles in EV mode, but Ford Escape Hybrid plug in does 30 miles...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, jasonj80 said:

Maybe the current e-CVT is torque limited?   Otherwise it should be easy to drop in the 2.0LEB and add more batteries (at the expense of some cargo room).

I"m highly interested in a Corsair as my next vehicle.  One thing I don't want to go down on is power vs. my 2.0EB Escape.  They didn't mention torque in the article, only HP.  But if overall torque is same or better, the GT will be top of my list.

Personally, I care more are power than I do about electric only range.  The 30 miles will be enough for me personally.

I'm glad I didn't finish that corner of my garage where my panel is at.  I'll need to figure out what wiring I'll need for an EV charger.  I'm thinking of putting in wire capable of 220v 40 amp.  That should cover just about any possible need I'll have.

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

I"m highly interested in a Corsair as my next vehicle.  One thing I don't want to go down on is power vs. my 2.0EB Escape.  They didn't mention torque in the article, only HP.  But if overall torque is same or better, the GT will be top of my list.

Personally, I care more are power than I do about electric only range.  The 30 miles will be enough for me personally.

I'm glad I didn't finish that corner of my garage where my panel is at.  I'll need to figure out what wiring I'll need for an EV charger.  I'm thinking of putting in wire capable of 220v 40 amp.  That should cover just about any possible need I'll have.

60 amp would be more future proof, but 40 should work today.

1 hour ago, 92merc said:

Given the instant torque of the electric motor I'm sure it's just as quick as the 2.0LEB.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, akirby said:

Given the instant torque of the electric motor I'm sure it's just as quick as the 2.0LEB.

In real world driving, Ford hybrid and PHEV models using the power split eCVT will actually feel more smooth and responsive than the more powerful Ecoboost versions of the same model. Even if objective testing says the hybrid/PHEV versions are slower.

Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring’s hybrid powertrain consists of a 2.5-liter Atkinson-cycle four-cylinder gas engine and a permanent magnet synchronous motor with a combined targeted output of 266 horsepower, based on Lincoln’s calculations using computer engineering simulations*. This configuration of hybrid technology paired with electric all-wheel drive has a targeted EPA-estimated all-electric range of more than 25 miles**.

With the PowerSplit electric continuously variable transmission, two electric motors work together to provide an extremely smooth driving experience. The addition of electric all-wheel drive powers the rear wheels and provides performance and capability in situations where power to all four wheels is needed.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

That's what I get for not reading all of the details.  Seems more complex than necessary, though.  I would've thought they could skip the front electric motor and just have it on the rear.

Don't forget the front motor also serves as a generator to recharge the batteries so it has to be connected to the ICE.   And I think there wasn't room for the driveshaft due to the batteries so they had to add the rear motor to get AWD.   Plus I assume the front setup is pulled directly from Escape, so just add on the electric rear motor.

Edit - also 2 motors, more power.

Edited by akirby

46 minutes ago, fordmantpw said:

Seems more complex than necessary, though.  I would've thought they could skip the front electric motor and just have it on the rear.

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

Don't forget the front motor also serves as a generator to recharge the batteries so it has to be connected to the ICE.  

Like other PHEV, Lincoln Corsair Grand Touring is essentially a traditional hybrid that has a higher energy HV battery and plug-in charge capability for that battery. As such, it has a charge sustaining (CS) mode in which ICE can be the primary motive source. The power split eCVT ensures efficient operation of ICE in this operating mode. 

CS mode is one of the major differences between a PHEV and a BEV (or a true EREV). 

50 minutes ago, akirby said:

Don't forget the front motor also serves as a generator to recharge the batteries so it has to be connected to the ICE.   And I think there wasn't room for the driveshaft due to the batteries so they had to add the rear motor to get AWD.   Plus I assume the front setup is pulled directly from Escape, so just add on the electric rear motor.

Edit - also 2 motors, more power.

Ahh, forgot about the generator in the front.  I knew the reason for the rear motor for AWD.  Eliminating a t-case/PTU helps on space and weight for batteries too.

At any rate, it's cool to see differing technologies to reach the same desired result.  I think PHEV is really going to be everywhere soon.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 6:57 AM, twintornados said:

Makes no sense to put that in a RAV4....a Lexus? Sure, but your average Toyota CUV shopper won't really "care" about 302HP...maybe they will care about the 39 miles in EV mode, but Ford Escape Hybrid plug in does 30 miles...

The beauty of battery is you want range, you also get performance for free. Unlike ICE where performance generally reduces range (all thing being equal), in EV and PHEV, performance goes up as you add range.

In order to have more EV range, you need more battery capacity. Higher capacity also means more throughput... therefore, if you are spending money on range, you get free performance. Essentially.

Toyota claims RAV4 Prime will get qualify for full amount of Federal tax credit so that implies the battery pack is bigger than 16kwh. Escape PHEV in comparison has only 14.4 kwh. That +10% size difference probably accounts entirely the difference in the estimated EV only range of these two vehicle. 

The combines system power of RAV4 Prime vs. Corsair GT (302 vs 266 hp) however, suggests that maybe Ford is being very conservative on the power management software. 

Edited by bzcat