Shell installing EV charging stations in US

TFL did a video on charge stations. And then after watching this video, it just seems like a giant pain to charge up anywhere outside of your own garage. It’s seems like every charge is supposed to paired with a cup of coffee and a meal at a restaurant? 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, mnm said:

TFL did a video on charge stations. And then after watching this video, it just seems like a giant pain to charge up anywhere outside of your own garage. It’s seems like every charge is supposed to paired with a cup of coffee and a meal at a restaurant? 

Don't do a full charge. Only go to 80%. To protect the batteries the charge rate drops when going over 80%.

Also depends on the charger.150kw charges faster than a 50kw. Most commuters are going to charge at home or maybe work if they offer a charger on site.

You'll only encounter the coffee/ meal when driving long distances. Then you need to decide if you're going to have a second ICE vehicle in your garage for long trips.

Watch this guys videos, he does a good job of showing the ups and downs:  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mnm said:

Also Tesla and others are updating to ultra fast chargers and will be out in the next few years. I would expect to see the Mach-E gain more miles as well as faster charging as launch comes at the end of next year, a lot can change in a year before production with further software revision and even a few aero tweaks.  Battery management can be updated via software updates even after launch.

One of the biggest issues in rapid charging is something that seems very trivial, the temperature of the cable used to charge the vehicle when it is charging at high speeds. Charging at those higher rates make the cable so hot it would burn you (like melt your skin off 1st degree burns) if you make the with liquid cooling and extra insulation it becomes so heavy that very few people can use it as it becomes 100+ lbs that you're dragging. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

One of the biggest issues in rapid charging is something that seems very trivial, the temperature of the cable used to charge the vehicle when it is charging at high speeds. Charging at those higher rates make the cable so hot it would burn you (like melt your skin off 1st degree burns) if you make the with liquid cooling and extra insulation it becomes so heavy that very few people can use it as it becomes 100+ lbs that you're dragging. 

Is this true. I have not heard this and find it very hard to believe.  The wires carrying 220 to appliances  do not get hot nor should they.  Why should the wire carrying the charge to the car? 

4 minutes ago, tzach said:

Is this true. I have not heard this and find it very hard to believe.  The wires carrying 220 to appliances  do not get hot nor should they.  Why should the wire carrying the charge to the car? 

Its because of the Amperage not to the voltage. a 220 line in a house is limited to 10-20 Amps

A Tesla Super Charge station is 440W and has 250 Amps

Amperage is strength of the current going through a line.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, tzach said:

The fast charge cables are direct DC to DC charging and as such run at higher DC amperage. In level 1 and level 2 charging stations, the stations are sending AC power into the car and then the car does the "conversion" to DC for battery charging. In a DC to DC charging system such as a Tesla Supercharger, the Supercharger itself sends out DC current to the vehicle thus skipping the AC "conversion" process and directly charging the batteries. The cable will get hot if not properly insulated and cooled. 

16 minutes ago, tzach said:

You've never seen overheated wires before?

Years ago Adam Carolla had a construction show on television. He went to comedian Kathy Griffins home and you could see burn marks on the walls from the cheap wiring. You either increase the size of the wire/cable or you liquid cool it.

2 hours ago, jasonj80 said:

Maybe not,,,,   https://electrek.co/2019/03/06/tesla-supercharger-v3-kw-capacity-efficiency/

HRG

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, HotRunrGuy said:

That's 250kw which is fast charging, but no where near gas station fill up time. You'll need 700KW+ to get to the speed of gas station fill-up times. (Tesla is working on this for Megachargers for the Semi's) There are some 450KW charges that are in the 100KM / 3 min range. Liquid cables work very well, they are just expensive and are not as durable. Last thing you want is someone getting burned or constant out of order charges because people have driven over the cables, etc.

Tesla's charging network is one of the best things the company has and probably one of their biggest advantages in the industry.  Mach-e takes 40min to charge on a road trip to 80% a Model Y can do it in 15 or 20. Psychology speaking that is important to a lot of buyers.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BuckeyeGoose said:

Agreed, if you can get a full or 80% charge in under 30 minutes, 15 minutes ideally, then the conversion to EV from gas will ramp up.  Right now if I have to spend 30+ minutes to charge that will also reduce the turn over at the "pump"  as less cars can "fuel up" in a set time.

It depends on usage-I'll use myself as an example-I drive about 26 miles to and from work, so I'd have no problem driving a MME for example for the entire week and recharging it once a week or so. 

If I wanted to take a road trip to say Ohio, that 9 hour drive is going to take a little bit longer to get out there if I need to recharge 2-3x times. 

I can get to 95% of the places I need to go without recharging, the only issue I can see having is not being able to find a place to spend the night that offers charging at it, which would be more convenient then having to stop for 30 minutes (unless I was stopping for lunch/break) to recharge.