RAV 4 Prime Announcement

Alex D.

Highlights:

-302 hp

0-60 in 5.8

-39 miles in electric-only mode

-AWD

I've only purchased Ford's in the past, but they don't currently have a comparable product, especially with the Escape plug-in AWD only. Corsair GT comes close, but falls short on HP and range. It pains me to say it, but the RAV-4 prime will be on my list to replace my Escape.

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/11/20/2021-toyota-rav4-prime-revealed/

27 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Did they announce pricing on the RAV4 Prime?  The Corsair isn't exactly cheap either. 

Ford does seem to be a generation behind here. 

Not yet. The press release indicates RAV4 Prime will be available for retail sale next summer, so pricing will probably be ready in spring 2020. https://pressroom.toyota.com/toyota-revs-up-lineup-with-new-302-horsepower-rav4-prime/

Ford has always been a generation behind Toyota with hybrids (including PHEV). Toyota pioneered the world's first mass-produced gasoline-electric hybrid car. That was least 5 years before Ford introduced its first mass-produced hybrid vehicle.

As the automotive industry moves to BEV (no ICE) as the standard, Ford will probably have an advantage over Toyota. Toyota is spending a lot of resources on hydrogen FCEV research, and the results haven't been promising. Toyota still hasn't unveiled any production BEV models for the U.S. market. Ford by comparison has confirmed the Mustang Mach-E and BEV F-150 among others, both coming out in the next couple years.

• Like 1

Pricing could mean a world of difference. 

It's possible this RAV4 is significantly more expensive than the Hybrid or the comparable Ford.  If it prices like a Corsair, then you understand why there is only so much Ford can do within the price tolerance of these vehicles.   

Ford and Toyota tend to see the market with similar eyes with a huge focus on Hybrids.  But Toyota is going in a very different direction on BEVs.  Nobody was picking on Toyota for their lack of electrification, but they were railing Ford.  Ford has been prepping to be an electrification volume leader and they were telling everybody who would listen. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 5:30 PM, rperez817 said:

As the automotive industry moves to BEV (no ICE) as the standard, Ford will probably have an advantage over Toyota. Toyota is spending a lot of resources on hydrogen FCEV research, and the results haven't been promising. Toyota still hasn't unveiled any production BEV models for the U.S. market. Ford by comparison has confirmed the Mustang Mach-E and BEV F-150 among others, both coming out in the next couple years.

I don't like to defend Toyota, but your info is out of date. Toyota unveiled quite an ambitious plan for BEV's earlier this year. Their 'plan' calls for sales of 1 million BEV's globally by 2025. They also plan to unveil a solid state battery in 2020. More here:  https://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/toyota-unveils-its-own-master-plan-electric-vehicles

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Harley Lover said:

I don't like to defend Toyota, but your info is out of date. Toyota unveiled quite an ambitious plan for BEV's earlier this year. Their 'plan' calls for sales of 1 million BEV's globally by 2025. They also plan to unveil a solid state battery in 2020. More here:  https://autoweek.com/article/green-cars/toyota-unveils-its-own-master-plan-electric-vehicles

Thank you Harley Lover sir. I trust the info you shared. But it's disappointing that Toyota didn't reveal any production BEV models at the LA Auto Show.

3 hours ago, 02MustangGT said:

I was optimistic when I saw the electric-crossover within the link. Then when I got to the Autoblog page, the subtitle read "It'll hit Europe and China next year."

Looks like Toyota is giving U.S. BEV consumers and prospects the cold shoulder. :(

• Haha 1

On 11/22/2019 at 10:53 PM, rperez817 said:

I was optimistic when I saw the electric-crossover within the link. Then when I got to the Autoblog page, the subtitle read "It'll hit Europe and China next year."

Looks like Toyota is giving U.S. BEV consumers and prospects the cold shoulder. :(

Oh no! One less ugly crossover to pollute the road with its foul "aesthetics" :(

On 11/22/2019 at 8:53 PM, rperez817 said:

Honda appears too as well...there was a presser by honda late october??/early november?? indicating as much...i think japan is thinking hybrid market is where the money is at and the consumers...they do not see a substantial bev market in the usa....

Edited by snooter