2021 Chevy Trailblazer

silvrsvt

This is one of those look-alike segments with the same weird design motifs that remind you this is the cheap and cheerful segment.  Kia, Hyundai, Chevy...basically anything Korean. 

It's actually a decent vehicle for the price, certainly much better than EcoSport which is severely overpriced for the substance, quality, and extreme age.   I don't think I've expressed by absolute disgust of the EcoSport here recently, LOL.  Definitely another Mark Fields desperation turd like everything that guy did, absolute minimum effort at the 11th hour.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

I'm noticing that Chevy and Hyundai/Kia is really saturating the market with different CUV's, not sure how that will play out but something I'm noticing.

Make you wonder if that will drive down pricing and thus profit margins because the market is saturated like the sedan market?

9 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

I'm noticing that Chevy and Hyundai/Kia is really saturating the market with different CUV's, not sure how that will play out but something I'm noticing.

Ford is adding 2 more so it’s not just them.  I do think the C and C/D sizes are becoming commoditized to some degree.  Maybe that’s why Toyota went radical with the RAV4 Prime.   That’s why Broncos are important.

I don't hate it, but I've never been a big fan of Chevy interiors.  Although this is better than most.

I don't get the two tiny engines.   Isn't this Edge sized (or is it more Escape sized)?  Either way it should have a more powerful option.  Or maybe they'll release that one later?

I think the Trax and Encore will be phased out as these two slightly larger and newer utilities take over, but we'll see.

The US is not on tap to get the next-gen EcoSport so I'm not sure where they are going with this segment.  They've mentioned they had quickly developed a new affordable utility to address the missing entry-level car segments.  I've mentioned before that the Compact Pickup has a companion Utility suppose to arrive for 2022.  That might be the Fusion replacement however.  Right now I don't have a clear understanding of Ford's North American compact utility future.  But I think this Trailblazer points int he direction of larger and cheaper.  If Ford is going to tackle this segment, it probably needs to go in that direction.  Obviously this is very low priority for them since it's not very profitable.  It's quite possible Ford will be able to fill it's factories without the need for this vehicle, but I doubt it. 

Edited by Assimilator

16 hours ago, Assimilator said:

This is one of those look-alike segments with the same weird design motifs that remind you this is the cheap and cheerful segment.  Kia, Hyundai, Chevy...basically anything Korean. 

RAV4 knock off - body-crease-a-palooza   Chevy going directly at the segment leaders.

If you can't beat 'em (you know who you are Ford Escape) then join 'em!

11 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Make you wonder if that will drive down pricing and thus profit margins because the market is saturated like the sedan market?

I was arguing this point years ago. Yes, I think there will be price wars on these things to get market share and they will wind up having the same profit margin that sedans have now and the same rebates.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, atomcat68 said:

I was arguing this point years ago. Yes, I think there will be price wars on these things to get market share and they will wind up having the same profit margin that sedans have now and the same rebates.

The margins will be down, but CUV pricing trends a couple thousand dollars more then a typical sedan that its based off of. 

19 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

The margins will be down, but CUV pricing trends a couple thousand dollars more then a typical sedan that its based off of. 

I think we're going to see a fairly major correction in the auto market in the next 18 to 24 months. Stagnant wages and increasing new car costs are leading to ballooning loan terms and household debt. It isn't sustainable. 

Broader lineups of CUVs and SUVs are due to come online just as prices top out and an expected sales decline hits, meaning fiercer competition with more models and fewer buyers. Rinse, repeat. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, PREMiERdrum said:

Broader lineups of CUVs and SUVs are due to come online just as prices top out and an expected sales decline hits, meaning fiercer competition with more models and fewer buyers. Rinse, repeat. 

Yes sir. In addition to that, electrification is in full swing now in the automotive industry. Extremely disappointing that GM, who has proclaimed an all electric future, used the LA Auto Show to unveil 2 new ICE powered crossovers (Trailblazer and Encore GX).

20 hours ago, akirby said:

I thought the suv/trucklet was baby Bronco and a baby Bronco trucklet?

I haven't heard anything about the Bronco name being attached the C Truck and CUV

The positioning of these products are going to be interesting-I'm assuming they are going to have the TC longer wheelbase, which makes sense, but the CUV variant would be larger then an Escape due to wheelbase and it being presumably a 3 row vehicle, which would make it more expensive then the Escape.

The Fusion crossover also would be a more expensive product also...so who knows what the deal is with an entry level product is for NA and SA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I haven't heard anything about the Bronco name being attached the C Truck and CUV

The positioning of these products are going to be interesting-I'm assuming they are going to have the TC longer wheelbase, which makes sense, but the CUV variant would be larger then an Escape due to wheelbase and it being presumably a 3 row vehicle, which would make it more expensive then the Escape.

The Fusion crossover also would be a more expensive product also...so who knows what the deal is with an entry level product is for NA and SA. 

I could be totally wrong but I thought the new C utility was baby bronco and the trucklet would therefore be a baby bronco trucklet.   That makes sense for a Bronco sub brand.

Or are we saying that there will be another C utility in addition to Escape and baby bronco?

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

I still believe that in a few years, with no entry level cars or sedans, auto companies will have to price cut and discount their way into market share and even the price padding you have today will disappear on CUVs just due to the cut throat nature of competition in this industry.

• Like 1

Fiesta -> Ecosport - $6100 increase (base to base)

Fusion -> Edge - $8000 increase

Small and midsized cars aren't going away outside Ford.   They'll continue to be available on the lower end of the market. 

There will be more competition on small to midsized utilities which is why it's important for Ford to have unique products like Bronco and Baby Bronco and BEVs which aren't commoditized.