Lincoln Electric SUV to use Rivian Chassis

From Automotive News:  

"DETROIT -- A battery-powered Lincoln SUV, due in mid-2022, will be the first Ford Motor Co. vehicle built on a custom electrified chassis that resembles a skateboard, which was developed by Ford-backed startup Rivian, according to several people familiar with the program.  The all-wheel-drive Lincoln SUV could compete against Rivian's R1S, an electric sport utility vehicle slated to go into production in early 2021 that will be priced from $72,500. Both models will use Rivian's so-called skateboard, a flexible platform that combines electric motors, batteries, controls and suspension.

Ford expects to introduce a compact Lincoln electric crossover in late 2021 or early 2022 and a mid-size companion in 2023, the sources said."

https://www.autonews.com/manufacturing/lincoln-electric-suv-use-ford-backed-startups-chassis-report-says?utm_source=daily&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20191126&utm_content=article2-headline

• Like 2

Because it's using the U-Code instead of CD like the other Lincoln BEV in development, I'm guessing this is an even larger Utility like Aviator.   Nobody I know has seen this code pop up anywhere at Ford so this is all very fascinating.   It's also possible the other Lincoln BEV has been replaced by this one which would account for the cancelled Flatrock expansion, but I'm just speculating on that.

Anyway, some of codes to be aware of right now.

U787 Rivian Lincoln

CDX746/747 Ford/Lincoln Larger Mach E based BEV Crossover

CD539/U540  2023 Edge/Nautilus

CD542 Mondeo Replacement

CX758/P758 Crossover/Compact Pickup

The new Nautilus has a U Code which is interesting, but it's still a FWD crossover.

The CD542 replacing the Mondeo is only going to Europe and is getting a PHEV.  This was thought to be the Fusion replacement as well but it may not be slated for the US, which would be a shame.  So I'm guessing that Fusion wagon-like mule we saw awhile ago is CD542 and it may not be a US-bound product.  I hope I'm wrong and it's just the CX758, but that makes less sense since that product was suppose to be a  right-sized affordable utility to replace the wrong-sized EcoSport alongside a Pick Up companion.,  

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 2

First I've heard of a compact Lincoln BEV crossover. I knew about the mid-sized BEV joint Ford/Lincoln project for 2023 MY and the (much bigger, I assumed) Riven-derived project. Hadn't heard it was supposed to be arriving so soon, though.

One thing that confuses me about the Reuters piece is that it talks about Lincoln launching three BEV SUVs in three consecutive years. I wonder if there is a market for that many arriving so quickly.

I'm also wondering if the compact is actually the same thing as the mid-sized BEV, and if the Riven-derived BEV SUV is more of a big low-slung luxury cruiser intended to be the Continental replacement. 

In any case, interesting stuff.

Edited by Gurgeh

Nobody I know can confirm the 2021 Lincoln BEV and it would be a little strange not to see a code for it at this point.  China was suppose to get a distinctive Lincoln small utility with dimensions similar to Corsair, but I assumed that was unrelated to the Mach E.  Anyway,  I'll know if this article is accurate once the U787 actually appears at Ford. 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 6:30 PM, Assimilator said:

Because it's using the U-Code instead of CD like the other Lincoln BEV in development, I'm guessing this is an even larger Utility like Aviator.   Nobody I know has seen this code pop up anywhere at Ford so this is all very fascinating.   It's also possible the other Lincoln BEV has been replaced by this one which would account for the cancelled Flatrock expansion, but I'm just speculating on that.

Anyway, some of codes to be aware of right now.

U787 Rivian Lincoln

CDX746/747 Ford/Lincoln Larger Mach E based BEV Crossover

CD539/U540  2023 Edge/Nautilus

CD542 Mondeo Replacement

CX758/P758 Crossover/Compact Pickup

The new Nautilus has a U Code which is interesting, but it's still a FWD crossover.

The CD542 replacing the Mondeo is only going to Europe and is getting a PHEV.  This was thought to be the Fusion replacement as well but it may not be slated for the US, which would be a shame.  So I'm guessing that Fusion wagon-like mule we saw awhile ago is CD542 and it may not be a US-bound product.  I hope I'm wrong and it's just the CX758, but that makes less sense since that product was suppose to be a  right-sized affordable utility to replace the wrong-sized EcoSport alongside a Pick Up companion.,  

New Nautilus not till 2023?  Yikes. I have a 2019 , and was hoping 2021, 2022 latest, for the new model . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, escapeman said:

New Nautilus not till 2023?  Yikes. I have a 2019 , and was hoping 2021, 2022 latest, for the new model . 

Me too. When I got my 2019 last Feb. I went with a 3-year lease, figuring that the redesign year would be 2022. But if it is 2023 it will likely be out late 2022, and I can probably talk Lincoln into extending the lease until the new Nautilus is out. Or I might be looking at the upcoming BEV Lincoln,  coming out about the same time, or even a tad earlier, which I hear will be Nautilus-sized.

On 11/28/2019 at 1:56 PM, escapeman said:

It seems long but it's actually a fairly standard lifecycle at Ford/Lincoln (8 Years with an MCA in the middle). I think the big issue is that the 2019 MCA did not update the interior to the new design, not to mention MKX (2016) got the design right before Lincoln went in a new direction (2017) which is the reason it feels so outdated after only 3 model years.  If it's any help, a 2023MY product will usually be out in CY (Calendar Year) 2022.  Hopefully sooner rather that later.

All I know so far is that both are FWD with the Edge getting a Hybrid. I'm sure Nautilus will as well (probably PHEV), but no information yet to confirm.  The 2020 Escape head of exterior design is actually leading the Edge design.  At the Spring Escape reveal, he told me they had just begun their work on it.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Assimilator said:

The 2020 Escape head of exterior design is actually leading the Edge design.  At the Spring Escape reveal, he told me they had just begun their work on it.

Hmm, I wonder if what I saw was scrapped and started over then. Was supposed to be CD6 and be a 2021 model. Could have possibly been something else entirely, I never saw a program code just a completed drawing.