Electric Lincoln SUV

Well now there is a program code: U787

I'm guessing this Rivian based Lincoln will end up being the large size (Explorer/Aviator size) entry.

What's the code for the midsize Ford and Lincoln EV that were supposed to be build in Flat Rock but now somewhere else?

45 minutes ago, T-dubz said:

“Ford expects to introduce a compact Lincoln electric crossover in late 2021 or early 2022 and a mid-size companion in 2023, the sources said.”

the Rivian skateboard isn’t compact sized is it?

According to this article, Lincoln is getting Small (Mach E), Midsize, and Large (Rivian) BEV Utilities by 2023.

I'm not entirely convinced in some of these details yet because I know we are getting a Midsize Lincoln/Ford BEV based on the Mach E architecture, but I have no indication we are getting a compact BEV for Lincoln based directly on Mach E.  Until I get a code for that car, I'm skeptical it exists yet.  But if it does, that would certainly change my Mach E preorder plans.  The U787 is news to me, but it sounds right. 

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

The Mach E is roughly the same size as an Edge...its midsized, not small. the only difference is in width-its about 2 inches narrower. Overall length is the same. Would make zero sense to have a MME and another Edge like product (unless its going to be three rows) along with the Edge. 

I think the mid-sized BEVs are misinterpretation of different information getting passed around over the past two years.

I can see maybe a Lincoln MME based product, the Rivian based product would be between the Aviator and Navigator in price and size. 

• Like 1

When the Corsair was introduced it was reported an all electric edition was being considered, so I think that’s the compact one mentioned. 

As for the Rivian based one, I’m thinking it will be a $100,000+ flagship Lincoln SUV with Coach doors and swagger, maybe a reimagined Continental, kind of akin to the Mustang Mach E and Mustang....?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, spudz64 said:

As for the Rivian based one, I’m thinking it will be a $100,000+ flagship Lincoln SUV with Coach doors and swagger, maybe a reimagined Continental, kind of akin to the Mustang Mach E and Mustang....?

Would make a great Range Rover competitior.  Lincoln Brigantine would be a fitting name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ford's EV strategy is starting to come in focus:

Compact (mostly for Europe) EV: MEB platform

Midsize EV: Model E skate platform

Large EV: Rivian skate platform

Plus F150 and Transit BEV

I think Model E can be scale down to compact size because originally Ford plan to use it in Europe but VW came in last minute and offered to make unprofitable compact EVs for Ford so Ford didn't need to invest in Model E production in Europe.

So it's entirely possible that Ford had plans for a Lincoln C-segment size BEV CUV. For one thing, the premium price of luxury brand can probably push the car to breakeven or profit. Whereas if you make an Escape size Ford BEV CUV, it has to breakeven under $30k... a much tougher proposition (hence why Ford is letting VW take the loss on MEB).

MACH E is European D-segment midsize if you go by exterior dimension (almost exactly same size as BMW 3 series, Audi A5, Tesla Model 3 etc) but maybe EPA compact. But for all intent and purpose, it is a midsize fastback.

The upcoming Ford/Lincoln midsize BEV twins are probably the same size as MACH E but just with a wagon back for better utility.

The large Lincoln BEV based on Rivian platform is likely Aviator size since Rivian RS1 is roughly Explorer size. Although it's possible that Lincoln will go even bigger... slot it between Aviator and Navigator in size and basically beat the Escalade EV to market.

Also remember, Ford has a bunch of midsize C2 utilities coming... Mondeo replacement, a 3-row utility for Europe, and an Edge replacement for China (and maybe North America too). All these models will likely have 48V mild hybrid and full parallel PHEV options. 

Edited by bzcat

7 hours ago, Trailhiker said:

Would make a great Range Rover competitior.  Lincoln Brigantine would be a fitting name.

In case anyone was wondering what a Brigantine is....

From wikipedia:

A brigantine is a two-masted sailing vessel with a fully square rigged foremast and at least two sails on the main mast: a square topsail and a gaff sail mainsail (behind the mast). The main mast is the second and taller of the two masts.

image.png.c873467da8721e3c8081dfe81b9f6b35.png