Mustang S550/S650 EV rendering

I was Googling images of futures Mustangs earlier this week (to take my mind of the other new Mustang that I'm not so keen on ;)  )

I came across this image from Carscoops. It was with some of the official renderings of Mach E. There's definitely Mach E influence here although it's clearly a much "softer" design that S550. I actually really like this and it'd make a fine S550/S650 EV. And give it a "normal" grille for the Ecoboost and GT versions.

There's no signature on the rendering, and I've not been able to find it anywhere else......but I'd love to know if this is an official Ford render, or just one created by a talented fan. Either way, if this is the direction Mustang is going in, I'll be pleased.

2021 Mustang EV.jpg

• Like 3

Yep, I think it's the one thing lacking from S550. This official rendering (one that didn't make the cut as S550) does it really well. It doesn't have to be a fake vent, in fact it'd be much better simply as the "hockey stick" pressing, just as the '65 did it originally :)

Actually, this rendering is one of my favourites and I'd love that to become S650 or a heavily facelifted S550

S650 1.jpg

• Like 3

16 hours ago, falconlover 1 said:

I want the new Mustang with the "C" shaped false scoop at the rear of the doors, a feature that identifies the Mustang since its inception.

2010-ford-mustang-gt-premium-coupe-angul

The Fox Bodies didn’t have the C Scoop.  The S197’s really had more of a hockey stick.  It was more apparent on the 2005-2009 models.  The picture above also has a hockey stick.  What appears to be the top of the C Scoop is actually a full length body line.  It does not connect to the hockey stick.  When they added hips to the 2010 model, they basically removed the body line from the rear fender.

• Like 1

My 11 year old “that thing looks awesome. It’s an electric Mustang?  Can we get one?”  

I have a tough time with his response.  I just can’t seem to get excited about electric vehicles. Maybe I’m getting old. Maybe I just need to give in. I feel like I’ll miss the sense of sound in an electric. 

My 6 year old said it looks wicked. He wants it too. 

for now I’ll stick with my 8250 redline in my 350R

2 hours ago, JZ150 said:

My 11 year old “that thing looks awesome. It’s an electric Mustang?  Can we get one?”  

I have a tough time with his response.  I just can’t seem to get excited about electric vehicles. Maybe I’m getting old. Maybe I just need to give in. I feel like I’ll miss the sense of sound in an electric. 

My 6 year old said it looks wicked. He wants it too. 

for now I’ll stick with my 8250 redline in my 350R

The lack of sound is a strange thing to get used to. A buddy has a Model 3, and the acceleration on that is insane. It actually makes me sick to my stomach sometimes. The force under full acceleration can really catch you be surprise. So performance  certainly doesn’t have to be a concern with electric vehicles. 

Edited by blazerdude20

I'll certainly miss the internal combustion engine.........but its not disappearing from Mustang in the near future.

I'm more interested to know if that first image I posted really IS from Ford. I still haven't seen it posted anywhere else so I wonder if this image was one that was sent out by Ford by mistake when they released the official Mach E sketches. Unlikely, but you never know! If it IS....then it points to what S550/S650 will look like in the next 4 years (based on the recent UAW contract that said Flat Rock would be building an "all new Mustang")

:)

This is possibly a case of LLN putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 5.......however......

https://leftlanenews.com/ford/ford-exec-talks-electric-mustang-coupe/

Ford has confirmed that the Mustang Mach-E's platform architecture has been designed for flexibility, adaptable for a wide range of body styles including a Mustang coupe.

The company revealed the Mustang Lithium one-off concept at SEMA this year, tying an electric powertrain to the nameplate in its traditional coupe form less than two weeks before the Mach-E crossover made its official debut.

Speaking to Australia's Motoring, Mach-E lead engineer Ron Heiser noted that the crossover's architecture can be scaled to taste for longer, shorter, taller and lower models as the Blue Oval eventually expands its EV lineup. He did not directly address the timing of a Mustang Lithium production car, though he argued that "the market is eventually going to roll over to EVs." An all-electric Mustang coupe is consequently considered an inevitability.

The next-generation Mustang is expected to arrive within the next two years, retaining a commitment to internal combustion while adding a hybrid powertrain to reap some benefits from electrification. An all-electric edition is unlikely to be a high priority for development funds in the near term, however, as the sports-car segment continues to shrink. The Explorer, Escape and Edge all outsell the Mustang by a wide margin and Ford is apparently betting the average crossover buyer will be more receptive to EVs than the Mustang's traditional customer base.

Aside from its branding controversy, the Mustang Mach-E demonstrates a change in thinking among Ford's decision makers as the EV market continues to evolve. Traditional automakers until recently appeared to believe electrified cars needed to follow the Nissan Leaf and Toyota Prius format, despite years of waning interest in hatchbacks. The Tesla Model 3 may have served as a wake-up call in Detroit, receiving hundreds of thousands of pre-orders before Ford scrapped its planned "compliance car" in favor of the Mach-E and began developing an electric F-Series pickup to further hedge its bets.

The Mach-E platform's flexibility could make it easy for Ford to fast-track an electric Mustang coupe to production if muscle-car buyers warm to battery power faster than expected.

Interesting that they think the next-gen Mustang is likely to arrive within the next two years......that my first take-away from this article.

Secondly.....I'm no expert, but surely it would be difficult to directly drop an S550/S650 body directly onto the Mach E's "skateboard" platform? Or is it? That's VERY different to making a coupe version of Mach E.....I struggle to see how they'd make the proportions work if they just "chop" the existing Mach E bodywork. Of course, the Lithium concept has proven you can make an S550 EV.....but that's very different than using Mach E as a base.

3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Secondly.....I'm no expert, but surely it would be difficult to directly drop an S550/S650 body directly onto the Mach E's "skateboard" platform? Or is it? That's VERY different to making a coupe version of Mach E.....I struggle to see how they'd make the proportions work if they just "chop" the existing Mach E bodywork. Of course, the Lithium concept has proven you can make an S550 EV.....but that's very different than using Mach E as a base.

Technically you could, but you'd be basically doubling the work, because the internal stampings would be different. 

What they mean by a "skateboard" is the battery pack is used as a member of the car. It would be nearly impossible or at least not cost efficient to put an ICE into an skateboard type platform. Going  by previous releases, cars that are designed from outset as an ICE powered product are inherently less efficient as a BEV vs being designed as a BEV outright-plus a BEV allows for simplification (aka make it cheaper) then adding in everything associated with ICE when it comes to design.

I don't think we will see a BEV Mustang coupe for at least another 5 years. We will see a Hybrid in the next 24 months or less during the next refresh then another deep refresh in 2023...which might have it or maybe they'll move the Mustang over to MME platform?!

• Like 2

Also.....for what its worth, I've discovered the first rendering IS an official Ford one. It can be found here:

http://mustang-mach-e.fordpresskits.com/

This is another......strange how both a labelled as "Mach E".....considering Mach E was always supposed to be an SUV, I wonder why they did a couple of coupe renderings. Here's another.....apologies for the poor quality, but the resolution is very low! Wonder if it gives a (possible) glimpse of a '23MY Mustang? 

23my-mustang-jpg.416143[/img]

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

Also.....for what its worth, I've discovered the first rendering IS an official Ford one. It can be found here:

http://mustang-mach-e.fordpresskits.com/

This is another......strange how both a labelled as "Mach E".....considering Mach E was always supposed to be an SUV, I wonder why they did a couple of coupe renderings. Here's another.....apologies for the poor quality, but the resolution is very low! Wonder if it gives a (possible) glimpse of a '23MY Mustang? 

23my-mustang-jpg.416143[/img]

Looks like a Camaro.

• Like 1