Lincolns and hearing aids!

Okay well I'd never post something like this on a different car forum, but knowing that the average age of a Lincoln owner is the highest of all brands, then the chance that someone wears or will most likely need, or will be buying hearing aids (politically correct name - mumble inhibitors) is probably high. In 2013, the average age of a Lincoln buyer was 61 yrs old... and they nailed me - I'll turn 61 in a few months. Ouch. Oh well.

Not calling myself deafsoundguy for nothing.... years of sonic punishment in the professional sound industry and loud tools has taken a toll. So I've been wearing hearing aids for over 20 years, and at 60 I need them a lot worse than I did 20 years ago. At a certain point, conversations in cars is not good, and that's a common bad environment for anyone with a listening/intelligibility issue. Road noise is the killer for wiping out important sibilant things our ears need for understanding a complete sentence. All you need sometimes is to miss one consonant in a sentence and it may wipe out the entire meaning of what the person said - was it bat, vat, or cat? Anyway, anyone that's getting hard of hearing knows exactly what I'm talking about... it sucks. In ANY car I've ever owned, conversation has been hard for me between anyone in the car speaking. I've had the luxury of owning a bunch of cars, didn't really matter, they all have been bad, with the Acura MDX being one of the worst for road noise for a "luxury" car.

So last night I got to drive our new BL Nautilus! I never got to test drive it, my wife did. So I'd never driven a Lincoln before and it was a 90 mile round trip at all speeds down to see some family. I had my daughter next to me and 3 other family members in the backseat all of whom do not speak loud or with too much diction. My daughter has a soft voice and is always hard for me to hear her. I started down the road to go pick up my daughter and the car didn't seem that much quieter than our FPace at first. I knew it was, but it was deceiving. I noticed right away when I picked her up that I could hear her way better in the Lincoln. We got to Silverton where the others were. We picked them up and as we drove 12 miles to the restaurant we were going to, and for the first time EVER I had no problems hearing anyone in the car and they were behind me where normally I would be just lost on conversation. It was very impressive of how much the interior environment of the Nautilus was deadened to help quiet the car. It made a huge difference for me, and the first time I've ever really been able to keep up with all conversation going on, on the road doing 55mph down the road.

This has been a super great benefit to deciding to buy the Lincoln, a benefit that I never even thought about. Right now, I am very impressed with the car. While the Fpace wins the sexy beast award and ability to slam a car in a corner,  the Nautilus wins every other way possible, too many to list. The interior of our BL is so much better than the pictures, as anyone who owns one will probably agree. Our poor FPace is now sitting on the dealers lot for sale...it was a good run, but really enjoying the opulence of the BL. ?

I would imagine that all other newer Lincolns would probably be as quiet or even quieter than the Nautilus. So hope this helps someone who needs or is deciding to make the splurge for some hearing devices and/or considering a new Lincoln!!!

- DSG

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...