Hackett in for Long Haul

15 minutes ago, probowler said:

I feel like it would have been a lot easier and helpful if you just shared your knowledge and answered the question. 

Dave Perocak can speak to his new job better than I can.  And is it really so much of a bother to listen to a few minutes of audio?  

4 hours ago, mackinaw said:

Dave Perocak can speak to his new job better than I can.  And is it really so much of a bother to listen to a few minutes of audio?  

I'm just saying a cliff notes would be great!  I'm used to podcasts being an hour long affair, and going in blind to an unknown show to find a specific conversation isn't just a quick minute thing. 

13 hours ago, mackinaw said:

One of the things that I'm curious about with EPLM is how it integrates with existing P&L silos.

F'r instance, say you're the EPLM director for the Escape: To what extent are you going to get dinged over poor performance in, say, South America, when there are issues in SA that apply to the entire business unit?

Or, say, you've got a product like the Mustang, being built in an under utilized plant. That's going to raise your per-unit costs significantly, but you're not in a position to move new product to the plant.

I mean, they'll have to come up with some pretty sophisticated accounting methods to back out structural costs from these products (and based on my indirect experience w/large corporations, upper management is going to see very little of the kludge work required to comply with this new reporting method).

17 minutes ago, RichardJensen said:

One of the things that I'm curious about with EPLM is how it integrates with existing P&L silos.

F'r instance, say you're the EPLM director for the Escape: To what extent are you going to get dinged over poor performance in, say, South America, when there are issues in SA that apply to the entire business unit?

Or, say, you've got a product like the Mustang, being built in an under utilized plant. That's going to raise your per-unit costs significantly, but you're not in a position to move new product to the plant.

I mean, they'll have to come up with some pretty sophisticated accounting methods to back out structural costs from these products (and based on my indirect experience w/large corporations, upper management is going to see very little of the kludge work required to comply with this new reporting method).

Most of it comes down to KPIs.  I'm sure they'll have different KPIs for each country's sales so if there is a special circumstance they can just exclude those KPIs (e.g. the South America Escape KPI doesn't count this year).   Or they adjust the KPI targets as needed to account for special situations.

On the accounting side I would assume they already know both the direct manufacturing costs and overhead so they probably only track the direct costs for the EPLM KPIs and corporate eats the other overhead.   That's the only way that would make sense provided you have some other team responsible for factory utilization.

12 hours ago, probowler said:

I'm just saying a cliff notes would be great!  I'm used to podcasts being an hour long affair, and going in blind to an unknown show to find a specific conversation isn't just a quick minute thing. 

I listened to it and Pericak says he owns Bronco, Raptor and Mustang which I believe also includes F Series as a whole.   Now if he owns Bronco and Bronco is part of the Icon EPLM group then what the heck is in the "Rugged Utilities" EPLM group?  Just Baby Bronco?   Doesn't make sense.

What makes sense is that Pericak is Director of the F series, Performance Vehicles and Rugged Utilities EPLM teams (which includes all the Ford ICONs) and you have other Directors in charge of other EPLM teams.   

Just my educated guess.

Edited by akirby
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, akirby said:

I listened to it and Pericak says he owns Bronco, Raptor and Mustang which I believe also includes F Series as a whole.   Now if he owns Bronco and Bronco is part of the Icon EPLM group then what the heck is in the "Rugged Utilities" EPLM group?  Just Baby Bronco?   Doesn't make sense.

What makes sense is that Pericak is Director of the F series, Performance Vehicles and Rugged Utilities EPLM teams (which includes all the Ford ICONs) and you have other Directors in charge of other EPLM teams.   

Just my educated guess.

Rugged utilities might be Expy/Explorer/Everest?

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Just my educated guess.

A good as anybody's guess right now.  I'm hoping in the 2019 Annual Report Ford tells us more about EPLM's.  

2 hours ago, akirby said:

I was thinking Bronco/Everest/Baby Bronco. 

I think Explorer and Expedition would be in Family Utilities.

This is what I posted in the other thread which I updated somewhat... just my guess

Fiesta Active could be either Volume or Sporty model (and vice versa with Puma)... not exactly sure how Ford will position them in Europe. In the US, Puma will be more mainstream model but we know it is not coming here. Ditto Focus Active and CX758...

Function:  Rugged Utilities / Commodity Volume Utilities / Sporty Utilities

Appearance: More "Truck like" <---> More "SUV like" <--> More "Car like"

B-segment: EcoSport / Puma / Fiesta Active 

C-segment short: CX758? / ??? / Focus Active 

C-segment long: Baby Bronco / Escape / Focus Active Wagon 

Midsize: Bronco / Edge / Mondeo Active (Mondeo replacement) 

Midsize EV: ??? / MACH E based square back CUV / MACH E

Large: Everest / Explorer / Explorer coupe? Taurus Active? (I'm kidding about Taurus Active ?)

Fullsize: Hypothetical "Big Bronco" Expedition / Not gonna happen

Edited by bzcat
  • Like 2