Aviator GT C/D Review

I've been waiting to hear more about this version.  On paper this product sounds exciting, but it also never made sense since the entire premise of the vehicle is really about charging the boost mode.  It's not more fuel efficient and it's not particuarly fun to drive this giant vehicle on the weak hybrid motor alone to get a few miles of EV-only range.  I'm not entirely shocked they don't like this vehicle, but I have a feeling it was meant to be driven more relaxed than the power numbers indicate.  

I don't really think this product makes any sense, if I'm going to bother plugging my car in, it really needs to be worthwhile and that's not the case here.  A PHEV Escape or Corsair....sure.  They aren't fun, but it's starting to look like Ford has some work to do on making Hybrids fun and that's turning out to be the big disappointment for me so far.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

Their review has far more inconsistencies than their claimed GT performance: 27 photos and all of them are the same regular GT, not a Black Label GT as tested and listed in their chart;  they fail to detail what tests if any were conducted by starting out with a fully charged battery or what driving modes were used;  they neglect to state the test vehicle(s) was still a pre or early production unit with no GTs delivered yet;  their EPA Ratings are incorrect, the actual ratings from the window stickers are: Gasoline only - 23 MPG combined, Electric + Gas - 56 MPGe combined (with 2.6 hour charge @ 240V), Electric range - 21 miles, Total range - 460  miles, Annual fuel cost - $1500 based on 15000 miles @ $2.70 per Gallon and $0.13 per KW-hr. The whole write-up seems hurried and brief with no detail and they didn't even bother to take a couple photos of the actual Black Label they ended up testing... or did they just think it was a Black Label??

Edited by CoolScoop

Thanks for sharing jcartwright99 sir. No surprise to read about the flaws in Ford's half baked P2 hybrid powertrain in Aviator Grand Touring. When Car and Driver tested Explorer hybrid, which has the same hybrid architecture, they said "the hybrid's lack of refinement is a letdown". 

For customers interested in a Ford hybrid vehicle, it's best to stick with the tried and true, Aisin based power split design in Escape, Corsair, and Fusion.

• 2 weeks later...

After letting the japanese brands take over the sedans and hatches in the American market, the suvs and crossovers race remained for Ford.  But it seems they have not learned from past mistakes and are so ready to lose the crossover and suv battles to the Japanese and now Korean brands.  The trucks will be left over.  It's very sad to see that they made an ugly Escape, a negative-media Explorer and Aviator, an Ecosport that doesn't even bother a competitor.  I think Bronco will have all the work of raising the brand on his own after Powershift's discontent as was Taurus in the 1980s. But who says Ford didn't ruin another model like it ruined Taurus, Fiesta and Focus because of  reliability?  I vent.  Who can change things is you who work and participate in the forum.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 6:56 PM, sullynd said:

It’s not Aisin based. 

The P2 hybrid transmission in Aviator Grand Touring and Explorer Hybrid is not based on an Aisin design. It consists of the traditional GM-Ford 10-speed automatic transmission (10 discrete forward drive ratios) and an electric motor-generator positioned directly between the transmission and the ICE. Clutches decouple the ICE as needed. The transmission is manufactured by Ford at its Livonia, Michigan plant.

The PS hybrid transmission in Corsair Grand Touring and Escape Hybrid is based on an Aisin design. Specifically a parallel axis power-split using planetary gearset to connect the ICE and 2 electric motor-generators. The smaller of the 2 motor-generators controls the drive ratio over a continuous range, that's why it's sometimes called an eCVT. This transmission is an evolution of the Aisin HD-10 transmission used in the original Escape Hybrid. However, the current generation is manufactured by Ford at its Warren, Michigan plant - not by Aisin Seiki in Japan.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2019 at 1:49 PM, rperez817 said:

The P2 hybrid transmission in Aviator Grand Touring and Explorer Hybrid is not based on an Aisin design. It consists of the traditional GM-Ford 10-speed automatic transmission (10 discrete forward drive ratios) and an electric motor-generator positioned directly between the transmission and the ICE. Clutches decouple the ICE as needed. The transmission is manufactured by Ford at its Livonia, Michigan plant.

The PS hybrid transmission in Corsair Grand Touring and Escape Hybrid is based on an Aisin design. Specifically a parallel axis power-split using planetary gearset to connect the ICE and 2 electric motor-generators. The smaller of the 2 motor-generators controls the drive ratio over a continuous range, that's why it's sometimes called an eCVT. This transmission is an evolution of the Aisin HD-10 transmission used in the original Escape Hybrid. However, the current generation is manufactured by Ford at its Warren, Michigan plant - not by Aisin Seiki in Japan.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2019/11/20191106-schaeffler.html 

Here's the motor-generator/clutch systems Ford is using for the Explorer and Aviator...

Edited by CoolScoop