• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
jcartwright99

Aviator GT C/D Review

I've been waiting to hear more about this version.  On paper this product sounds exciting, but it also never made sense since the entire premise of the vehicle is really about charging the boost mode.  It's not more fuel efficient and it's not particuarly fun to drive this giant vehicle on the weak hybrid motor alone to get a few miles of EV-only range.  I'm not entirely shocked they don't like this vehicle, but I have a feeling it was meant to be driven more relaxed than the power numbers indicate.  

I don't really think this product makes any sense, if I'm going to bother plugging my car in, it really needs to be worthwhile and that's not the case here.  A PHEV Escape or Corsair....sure.  They aren't fun, but it's starting to look like Ford has some work to do on making Hybrids fun and that's turning out to be the big disappointment for me so far.

Edited by Assimilator

I’d like to see how it performs against other similar luxury phevs.  They seem to have similar specs.

I wonder if there is a limitation on motor size because it fits in the 10r80 housing?

Their review has far more inconsistencies than their claimed GT performance: 27 photos and all of them are the same regular GT, not a Black Label GT as tested and listed in their chart;  they fail to detail what tests if any were conducted by starting out with a fully charged battery or what driving modes were used;  they neglect to state the test vehicle(s) was still a pre or early production unit with no GTs delivered yet;  their EPA Ratings are incorrect, the actual ratings from the window stickers are: Gasoline only - 23 MPG combined, Electric + Gas - 56 MPGe combined (with 2.6 hour charge @ 240V), Electric range - 21 miles, Total range - 460  miles, Annual fuel cost - $1500 based on 15000 miles @ $2.70 per Gallon and $0.13 per KW-hr. The whole write-up seems hurried and brief with no detail and they didn't even bother to take a couple photos of the actual Black Label they ended up testing... or did they just think it was a Black Label??

Edited by CoolScoop

This is another one of those "fake" media stories.  It appears they plagiarized from MT SoY tests.  Just a bunch of opiniated sound bites from a pre production model.   

Thanks for sharing jcartwright99 sir. No surprise to read about the flaws in Ford's half baked P2 hybrid powertrain in Aviator Grand Touring. When Car and Driver tested Explorer hybrid, which has the same hybrid architecture, they said "the hybrid's lack of refinement is a letdown". 

For customers interested in a Ford hybrid vehicle, it's best to stick with the tried and true, Aisin based power split design in Escape, Corsair, and Fusion.