World record quarter mile run in a stock Mustang

There has been lots of grumbling going on about the press days with the GT500 drag times. The lack of times being released and what times were during that hot day in Vegas. This should quell those. I'll give this kid (he's 19) props for getting delivery of one of the first GT500's , immediately driving it 2000 miles and taking it to a track. Seems like Ford did a good job with it. I will be interested to see what kind of times qualified drivers get different road courses.

• Like 1

personally I think this kid was somehow targeted ( hes a you Tuber ) by Ford to get this car as quickly as he did. I ran locate of over 3000 dealers in the US...NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE currently has one in inventory....kid also shows up at an awful lot of Ford fuctions aimed specifically at celebrity and Dealer principles....free PR ?...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Deanh said:

personally I think this kid was somehow targeted ( hes a you Tuber ) by Ford to get this car as quickly as he did. I ran locate of over 3000 dealers in the US...NO ONE...and I mean NO ONE currently has one in inventory....kid also shows up at an awful lot of Ford fuctions aimed specifically at celebrity and Dealer principles....free PR ?...

Delivered by Lasco Ford.   HRG

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Deanh said:

You're correct, he's a youtuber.  If you are older than 25, it's kinda hard to listen to him. He doesn't always have accurate information.There is a theory floating around. This is all speculation that has been thrown about on the Mustang boards so I have no evidence. The theory is, he's got a connection to someone in Ford who is high enough to give him access to Ford Performance events for media, and get him one of the first 15 GT500 to the public. He's from a very wealthy family that's for sure so money could easily be in play.

According to his video, he called all over the country and just happened to find one at Lasco that wasn't spoken for. Some are calling BS and don't believe that story at all. Some more entitled Mustang enthusiast (amateur racers) and wealthy guys who think they have more cred than a 19 year old kid are getting bent out of shape. I find it comical that people are getting so upset about in the Mustang community. It's mostly wealthy guys that humble brag in the GT350/GT500 forums. Some are track rats others are well connected to FP (maybe not connected enough). I give the kid props for getting out there, doing it, and posting it up.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

You're correct, he's a youtuber.  If you are older than 25, it's kinda hard to listen to him. He doesn't always have accurate information.There is a theory floating around. This is all speculation that has been thrown about on the Mustang boards so I have no evidence. The theory is, he's got a connection to someone in Ford who is high enough to give him access to Ford Performance events for media, and get him one of the first 15 GT500 to the public. He's from a very wealthy family that's for sure so money could easily be in play.

According to his video, he called all over the country and just happened to find one at Lasco that wasn't spoken for. Some are calling BS and don't believe that story at all. Some more entitled Mustang enthusiast (amateur racers) and wealthy guys who think they have more cred than a 19 year old kid are getting bent out of shape. I find it comical that people are getting so upset about in the Mustang community. It's mostly wealthy guys that humble brag in the GT350/GT500 forums. Some are track rats others are well connected to FP (maybe not connected enough). I give the kid props for getting out there, doing it, and posting it up.

sewing more seeds...I don't thionk that car was allocated...and Lasco Ford THANKED the kid for picking their dealership to take delivery of the car from....I somehow have a suspicion this was a car that wasn't part of the Dealers actual allocation and was as such a "courtesy delivery"...definitely more to this story than we know..car was delivered 29th...if so the car would have shown in Lascos inventory....it doesnt...theres the conspiracy theory....

19 minutes ago, Deanh said:

sewing more seeds...I don't thionk that car was allocated...and Lasco Ford THANKED the kid for picking their dealership to take delivery of the car from....I somehow have a suspicion this was a car that wasn't part of the Dealers actual allocation and was as such a "courtesy delivery"...definitely more to this story than we know..car was delivered 29th...if so the car would have shown in Lascos inventory....it doesnt...theres the conspiracy theory....

I'm having a hard time understanding why that matters.  What matters is the actual performance, right?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, akirby said:

I'm having a hard time understanding why that matters.  What matters is the actual performance, right?

youre missing the point...question is why this individual got delivery of a car no one has...piqued my curiosity….especially when our is still MONTHS away...…..wouldnt you be curious why some one got preferential treatment..car rocks by the way...listen to that symphony....

Edited by Deanh

31 minutes ago, Deanh said:

youre missing the point...question is why this individual got delivery of a car no one has...piqued my curiosity….especially when our is still MONTHS away...…..wouldnt you be curious why some one got preferential treatment..car rocks by the way...listen to that symphony....

I think that's a point only you and other dealers would care about.  What impact does that have on the awesome performance?  Or are you saying that makes the performance suspect?

30 minutes ago, akirby said:

I think that's a point only you and other dealers would care about.  What impact does that have on the awesome performance?  Or are you saying that makes the performance suspect?

I don't think he's questioning the performance in any manner.  I think he's just saying it looks odd when no dealers have GT500s and/or have waiting lists, and this guy was somehow able to find one nobody wanted/find a slot to get one - that there's something fishy with the acquisition/sales process.

15 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I don't think he's questioning the performance in any manner.  I think he's just saying it looks odd when no dealers have GT500s and/or have waiting lists, and this guy was somehow able to find one nobody wanted/find a slot to get one - that there's something fishy with the acquisition/sales process.

thankyou RMC...my point exactly...spurned somewhat by people giving the guy congrats on getting the first unit...pfffffffffffffffft.

24 minutes ago, akirby said:

Ok so he has some connections - who cares???     10.6 quarter mile and did you hear it leave the line?

I actually think fords directly involved...PR purposes would be my guess...and I think 10.6 will be improved on somewhat...

I don't know what the density altitude was or how good the track prep was when he ran.   That makes a huge difference.   I look forward to seeing one of these at my local strip next summer.   

It is really hard to tell from the video but it didn't seem like the shifts were any quicker or firmer than an A10 in drag mode.    It does sound good.

47 minutes ago, brucelinc said:

I don't know what the density altitude was or how good the track prep was when he ran.  

Texas Motorplex is off Highway 287 about 5 mi. west of Ennis. Altitude is 508 ft. above sea level. Ambient temperature on December 2 ranged from a low of 36°F to a high of 57°F.

The facility is well maintained, I would expect track prep to be excellent when Speed Phenom did his run.

Edited by rperez817

24 minutes ago, rperez817 said:

Texas Motorplex is off Highway 287 about 5 mi. west of Ennis. Altitude is 508 ft. above sea level. Ambient temperature on December 2 ranged from a low of 36°F to a high of 57°F.

The facility is well maintained, I would expect track prep to be excellent when Speed Phenom did his run.

Sounds like ideal conditions.   I am impressed with the traction.   I assume he was on street tires but it hooked amazingly well.   

• Like 1

Here's the video of his dyno runs. If those numbers are accurate and you assume the standard 15% drivetrain loss that car would be making ~830 hp at the crank. Should be interesting to see what other cars do once more are out there. I personally don't care how or why he got the car. I'm actually glad he is doing the PR work for Ford. If his numbers are real you couldn't ask for anything better from Ford's perspective.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a30149059/watch-the-2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-take-on-a-dyno/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_rdt&utm_medium=email&date=120719&utm_campaign=nl18829253&src=nl

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30173251/ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-acceleration-testing/

Traction issues on the street as I expected.    DRs and a VHT prepped starting line make all the difference.    The trap speed is impressive and shows that the car is making great power.   Without a mid-engine, drag radials or AWD, a nose heavy 760 HP vehicle is traction limited on the street.      In the hands of private owners at local tracks, it will be very close between a GT 500, a ZL1 Camaro and a Hellcat.    I look forward to playing with these guys after I get a blower on my 10A GT.

• We've just tested a 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 on a test track, and it shot to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds on its way to a 11.4-second quarter-mile at 132 mph.
  • The Chevy Camaro ZL1 remains the quickest ultra pony car we've tested to 60 mph, but the GT500 catches up by the quarter-mile and pulls ahead of both the ZL1 and the Dodge Challenger Hellcat Redeye at higher speeds.