Pimping out my Nautilus wheels!

Haven't seen any other powder coated all black Nautilus wheels so here they are ?! Had the calipers done too, figured now is the best time ever while the calipers are at the cleanest they'll ever be and wheels off the car! Unfortunately a very gray day here and probably will be for awhile so kinda a dark pic..

Nautilus wheel.jpg

Nautilus 2.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks guys. No haven't got to the grill yet. I honestly couldn't remember if it was metal or plastic, and now that I know it's plastic, and can't be powdercoated, then I have to vinyl wrap or paint. I don't think I want to try vinyl, I think it is too many open spots and would drive a vinyl guy nuts. I wanted to get a recommendation from the (wheel) powdercoater on what they would recommend and they recommended a painter and place. So that's my next step but it won't be super quick I have a lot on my plate right now so maybe after X-mas....

16 hours ago, boredinbirmingham said:

What did you use on calipers?

looks great BTW.

Thanks. They used the special high heat red spray paint. I didn't ask what brand but it's for the purpose. I thought it was a paint on process but they sprayed it on because I see a few overspray spots on the side of the disc... ugh ?

Very cool.  I'm planning on going the other way replacing the 21's with 18's.  Yes, i am now the proud owner of a 2019 Nautilus Black Label Chalet Theme, white platinum loaded with everything except dvd.  Purchased on black Friday in San Diego.  Took delivery on Thursday in Yuma AZ to avoid CA sales tax.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, T hawker said:

Very cool.  I'm planning on going the other way replacing the 21's with 18's.  Yes, i am now the proud owner of a 2019 Nautilus Black Label Chalet Theme, white platinum loaded with everything except dvd.  Purchased on black Friday in San Diego.  Took delivery on Thursday in Yuma AZ to avoid CA sales tax.  

Very cool sir, congrats on your new rig. Seems like the dealer was right, more people buy the chalet theme. I like them all. Matter of time before that seat turns blue if we're all wearing jeans....

Are you going 18"s for ride quality? My wife cares more about looks than ride quality, which is why she never had a problem with the (uh...firm ride of the)  FPace other than the stereo which she didn't like.

My opinion Lincoln wheels look generally really good all across their spectrum of offered wheels!

16 hours ago, T hawker said:

12 minutes ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Very cool sir, congrats on your new rig. Seems like the dealer was right, more people buy the chalet theme. I like them all. Matter of time before that seat turns blue if we're all wearing jeans....

Are you going 18"s for ride quality? My wife cares more about looks than ride quality, which is why she never had a problem with the (uh...firm ride of the)  FPace other than the stereo which she didn't like.

My opinion Lincoln wheels look generally really good all across their spectrum of offered wheels!

Grats to both! I was going to do what T hawker did (well, to 20", not 18") for ride quality purposes. But then I saw the big wheels and loved the look. I test drove them, and was surprised by how great they drove, even with the somewhat low-profile tires. I had the same amount of rubber a few cars ago on a Volkswagen CC and it was a rough ride. But the Lincoln adaptable suspension really shines. So I stuck with the BL wheels. I did, however, take out wheel/tire insurance for the life of the lease in case of curb rash or pothole flats or damage (as less tire does make them more vulnerable to potholes).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Yes sir, ride quality all the way.  Have it set for comfort mode, will never change :)

I was very surprised with the ride on the way home, but feel going from 40 series to 60 series will do wonders.

4 hours ago, Gurgeh said:

Grats to both! I was going to do what T hawker did (well, to 20", not 18") for ride quality purposes. But then I saw the big wheels and loved the look. I test drove them, and was surprised by how great they drove, even with the somewhat low-profile tires. I had the same amount of rubber a few cars ago on a Volkswagen CC and it was a rough ride. But the Lincoln adaptable suspension really shines. So I stuck with the BL wheels. I did, however, take out wheel/tire insurance for the life of the lease in case of curb rash or pothole flats or damage (as less tire does make them more vulnerable to potholes).

I looked at the price of the 21 inch Continental tires, wow.  Will go with Michelin Defender M&S, very good rating on ride and noise and past experience I've had with them.

20 hours ago, T hawker said:

I looked at the price of the 21 inch Continental tires, wow.  Will go with Michelin Defender M&S, very good rating on ride and noise and past experience I've had with them.

I don't even want to know what those Conti's are going to cost! Spendy I'm sure... but the sad thing is that we've never had to buy tires on any new car we've ever bought because the next thing that's popular my wife going to want it. Surface to air missile upgrade? Gotta have it. Built in taco-maker ?? Sign her up. 24" wheels with 6 wheel drive? Dream car. So that's the sad part, hates the thought of leasing a car and then lose that beautiful car... it's complicated. ? I'm just here to make her happy ?

Let me know the difference in ride quality when you change those suckers out! I bet you won't have much problem selling your rims.... On the subject of Conti's, it's been my experience with experimenting with lots of tire brands that they have some of the most compliant sidewalls, which makes sense maybe why Lincoln picked them for the best comfort on that huge rim. :shift:

Probably a really good idea keeping those wheels for resale. I've had to trade in a lot of cars for the aforementioned reason ?, and anything you take off the car hurts the value. I would imagine taking off the highest end wheel off the highest end model would definitely be shooting yourself in the foot.... Bums me out that I've learned the hard way if a car is worth $30k, and you put in Weathertech mats, a performance exhaust, killer wheels and the very best tires, it's still worth $30k..?.. Dealers don't give a crap about aftermarket stuff. I can view my ex-FPace on the dealers website for sale and they make no mention of any of the upgrades I did....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deafsoundguy said:

Probably a really good idea keeping those wheels for resale. I've had to trade in a lot of cars for the aforementioned reason ?, and anything you take off the car hurts the value. I would imagine taking off the highest end wheel off the highest end model would definitely be shooting yourself in the foot.... Bums me out that I've learned the hard way if a car is worth $30k, and you put in Weathertech mats, a performance exhaust, killer wheels and the very best tires, it's still worth $30k..?.. Dealers don't give a crap about aftermarket stuff. I can view my ex-FPace on the dealers website for sale and they make no mention of any of the upgrades I did....

Hi Deaf. On a related note: If we want to get the best resale value for our vehicles, never trade the vehicle in to a Dealer. Assuming the vehicle is well maintained, always try to sell the vehicle privately. Negotiate a trade-in price when you order your new car, then you can always trade it in, if you are unable sell it before your new car is in.

Of course, this assumes the new car is not a "I have to have it today" sort of purchase. By selling my old cars privately, I have always been able to get far more than the trade-in offers. As much as $3,000+, even taking the sales tax hit into account.

Taking trade-ins is not a favor that Dealers perform for new car buyers. It is a money making service (for them) which they provide. While a Dealer will tell you the upgrades don't matter when they buy your used car from you, they will still up the resale price to the next buyer for the same upgrades they told you don't matter, if they can.

Just something to think about and another option for the next time we are purchasing a new car.

Edited by bbf2530

As info, in Texas the state sales tax on new cars is 6.25%. When tradings car in, not a leased car, you pay sales tax on the difference, not the total. So to trade in, that helps soften the blow. To sell privately or sell to Carmax you have to get more than 6.25% to make it worthwhile. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi Deaf. On a related note: If we want to get the best resale value for our vehicles, never trade the vehicle in to a Dealer. Assuming the vehicle is well maintained, always try to sell the vehicle privately. Negotiate a trade-in price when you order your new car, then you can always trade it in, if you are unable sell it before your new car is in.

Of course, this assumes the new car is not a "I have to have it today" sort of purchase. By selling my old cars privately, I have always been able to get far more than the trade-in offers. As much as $3,000+, even taking the sales tax hit into account.

Taking trade-ins is not a favor that Dealers perform for new car buyers. It is a money making service (for them) which they provide. While a Dealer will tell you the upgrades don't matter when they buy your used car from you, they will still up the resale price to the next buyer for the same upgrades they told you don't matter, if they can.

Just something to think about and another option for the next time we are purchasing a new car.

This is not always true. In fact, it all depends on a LOT of factors, too many to list. I sold my last car (an i3) on CarGurus and it took awhile. I took a bath. I was thinking the same thing about how I'll get more money for it and I didn't. Carmax was a joke, they offered me an insulting price on a perfect condition low mile BMW. I was getting a used 2016 ELR out of Ohio so I couldn't trade it in. On our last vehicle dealings I've learned enough about car buying that I've picked up a few tricks (like going in on the last day of the month if they have to sell a number of cars per month, and always about 2 hours to close since they want to sell you a car and go home not stay the night bartering). Unfortunately the last 2 new cars we ordered we newest model years and special orders - no breaks ?.  We always know the value of the car before we try and sell it. I think a lot of it depends on how bad the dealer was to sell a car. We had our top of the line Jag with super low miles on CarGurus for a month at the cheapest price anywhere for what it was. All we got were morons offering us stupid lowball offers. The dealer really wanted to sell us a car. They ended up giving us more than any offer we had. The price of a new ordered 2020 was no incentives so that was the best deal we could get.

We've had good luck trading in our cars and usually it helps when you can get the same brand traded into that brand dealership, they know they'll have the best luck selling it because people are coming in looking at just those brands, and a low mile perfect condition like car is another tool in the saleguy's toolbox. In our case, Our Jag was so nice I think they wanted to roll the dice and know they have a really nice used car on the lot for sale. It all comes down to supply and demand, if no one really wants our used car right now, we're not going to get a great price for it. We're okay with it. We love our Nautilus, in the long run it's going to be a better deal for us and enjoy the Black Label touches. After buying the Nautilus, when you really look at what you're getting it's $5000 to $20,000 less than most anything else comparable so these days it's a good deal to us. I was looking at some Audi and you had to buy the $90k version just to get some of the features the Lincoln has.... what? Of course NO one says Audis are expensive ?

There are always exceptions, but when a dealer buys your vehicle they're giving you wholesale value only.  If they give you more than wholesale then they're making it up on the new vehicle somewhere.  They can go to the auction and get a dozen vehicles just like yours so why would they give you more than auction price unless it's being subsidized by the new sales?   Also in some cases they take your vehicle directly to auction if they don't want it on their lot.  

When you sell it private party that's closer to full retail, not wholesale.   But obviously if you can't find a good buyer that won't work.  YMMV.

1 hour ago, Deafsoundguy said:

This is not always true. In fact, it all depends on a LOT of factors, too many to list. I sold my last car (an i3) on CarGurus and it took awhile. I took a bath. I was thinking the same thing about how I'll get more money for it and I didn't. Carmax was a joke, they offered me an insulting price on a perfect condition low mile BMW. I was getting a used 2016 ELR out of Ohio so I couldn't trade it in. On our last vehicle dealings I've learned enough about car buying that I've picked up a few tricks (like going in on the last day of the month if they have to sell a number of cars per month, and always about 2 hours to close since they want to sell you a car and go home not stay the night bartering). Unfortunately the last 2 new cars we ordered we newest model years and special orders - no breaks ?.  We always know the value of the car before we try and sell it. I think a lot of it depends on how bad the dealer was to sell a car. We had our top of the line Jag with super low miles on CarGurus for a month at the cheapest price anywhere for what it was. All we got were morons offering us stupid lowball offers. The dealer really wanted to sell us a car. They ended up giving us more than any offer we had. The price of a new ordered 2020 was no incentives so that was the best deal we could get.

We've had good luck trading in our cars and usually it helps when you can get the same brand traded into that brand dealership, they know they'll have the best luck selling it because people are coming in looking at just those brands, and a low mile perfect condition like car is another tool in the saleguy's toolbox. In our case, Our Jag was so nice I think they wanted to roll the dice and know they have a really nice used car on the lot for sale. It all comes down to supply and demand, if no one really wants our used car right now, we're not going to get a great price for it. We're okay with it. We love our Nautilus, in the long run it's going to be a better deal for us and enjoy the Black Label touches. After buying the Nautilus, when you really look at what you're getting it's $5000 to $20,000 less than most anything else comparable so these days it's a good deal to us. I was looking at some Audi and you had to buy the $90k version just to get some of the features the Lincoln has.... what? Of course NO one says Audis are expensive ?

Hi Deaf. I understand what you are saying. And yes, there will always be exceptions. However, if you read my previous post carefully, it simply states to try and sell your vehicle privately first.  Then trade-in if a private sale is not successful. It does not eliminate the option of trading it in at the end.

However, selling a car through Carmax is the essential equivalent of trading it in.  As you stated, a lot of "...morons offering offering us stupid lowball offers". And yes, a Dealer may offer a nice trade-in offer when they are charging the customer a premium for the new car purchase. As in your case, "newest model year and special orders - no breaks...no incentives". Or as akirby aptly stated, "They can go to the auction and get a dozen vehicles just like yours so why would they give you more than auction price unless it's being subsidized by the new sales?" 

Far too many people simply trade-in their cars because it is easy, then complain about the low price they get. So the main point I was making is to exhaust all options to sell our used cars for the best price before trading it in. Get the trade-in price the Dealer will give when we order our new car. Then try to sell it privately with "For Sale" signs (how I have actually sold all my used cars). put up flyers in the supermarket. Advertise if on Carmax is one wishes to. Do (or don't do) whatever we wish to. Then if we can get a better price selling it privately, sell it privately. If not, then we can still trade-it in when it is new car buying time. Don't just automatically trade it in.

My advice does not eliminate the trade-in possibility at the end. It simply gives more options beforehand. Hope that makes the information I was providing clearer. Good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

Oh I agree, I really never wanted to trade our car in. When we first ordered the car the dealer flat out told us it's (the brand) NOT in our wheelhouse so we're not going to give you what you want. Fine, I'll try and sell it privately... and for a month on CarGurus, no luck, just morons. As well, I let everyone on the FPace forum know. It wasn't until weeks after we traded our car in did we finally get some serious interest from the over 4000 members of just FPace owners, and people who signed up to begin learning about the cars and the problems they might expect as they were in, or possibly in the market for a new or used FPace. Unfortunately our FPace was basically a garage queen, never sits outside long enough to put a For Sale sign in. Here in Portland actually, it's against the law ? to leave For Sale signs in your car. And yes I even know someone who got a ticket by the PDX ticket Gestapo. The closer you are to downtown or "trendy" areas and "trendy" streets the more likely you will get a ticket and especially if you run no front plate!!!

Absolutely not complaining about any trade in, we were happy as clams that the dealer at the end decided to give us more than any jackass would give us calling in from CarGurus. That PLUS the fact that it made it super easy to drive the car till the last possible second AND not have to do $h*t to it as far as cleaning or paying for detailing made it even better! Maybe we were the exception for sure! And we didn't have to deal with anyone trying out our car and then trying to offer us less and wasting our time, or the possibility of that certain "someone" driving our car and possibly getting into an accident - aaughhh! From some of the stories I've heard on other forums about claims and diminished value, my wife and I decided that losing a few thousand was way better than all the things I just mentioned. Depends on the car and how much we were willing to lose I guess... we are 100% happy with how it eventually went down... Now... if only my lovely wife will keep her Nautilus for more than 2 or 3 years.... 

On 12/8/2019 at 9:29 AM, Gurgeh said:

Gurgeh may be right.  Drove around town today and the ride is very smooth even with the 21's.  Walking through the parking lot approaching the BL it looks soooo good.  I may stay with the 21's.   Decisions decisions. 

18 hours ago, T hawker said:

Gurgeh may be right.  Drove around town today and the ride is very smooth even with the 21's.  Walking through the parking lot approaching the BL it looks soooo good.  I may stay with the 21's.   Decisions decisions. 

Know the feeling! It's even cooler at night when the car lights up as we appear! That's a nice touch. I find it odd that so many people me included, will keep the big wheel look when we're only actually looking at the car for such a short time as compared to actually being IN the car driving it where we can't see those wheels and want to enjoy the smoothest ride we can. And we end up valuing the look over the possibility of an even smoother ride.... Kinda makes me think sometimes that I only put up with my wife because she's got great legs....  ?

Haha, I agree.  My mom gets embarrassed leaving church Saturday night, the way her MKC lights up when she approaches.  One thing i was not aware of were the cornering lamps on the Nautilus.  They work the same as my 06 MB C350 but those were built into the fog lamps and did not illuminate as well as the Nautilus'.

• Like 1

Yeah that light bending/pointing/aiming is great. My Jag XK I had was the first car I've ever had that light to the sides. After I bought the car I couldn't figure out where I kept seeing light from as I was turning. It was actually a little light on the side of the car that illuminates everything on that side of the car. Wasn't too bright but it lit up everything on whatever side you were turning for a short depth. You wouldn't even guess it could do that by looking at the car.

One awesome feature I just discovered last night on the Nautilus is I can hit the camera in D. Wow that is great! I've never had before that could see the curb as I was pulling in in full screen. Super convenient and much appreciated ?. I just assumed the camera was for reverse only....

• Like 1