Nissan orders 2 day furlough for US Employees

silvrsvt

I don't see how they don't go bankrupt or pull out of US market. It's not like they are going to magically make new vehicles that are profitable overnight. Who buys Nissan's? Rental car companies, people with bad credit, and Uber drivers. Infinity is garbage. The only thing they do well is stuff powerful engines in god awful pseudo luxury cars.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

They’re very popular with the large middle-eastern population in Dearborn for some reason. Same with Land Rover. 

75% of the Nissan's I see in Chicago have Uber stickers. Infinity's are popular because they are the cheapest luxury make you can buy. They are always blowing them out here. The resale value for a 3 year old infinity is pretty bad. Here they appeal to a certain demographic that likes them because they are fast and fairly easily to mod. The VQ engine (since they made them since 2000), was a pretty good reliable engine too.

I briefly and I mean briefly looked at one before I got my MKZ. The only thing I can say is they accelerate quickly and are fairly fast. Their tech until just recently made MFT look futuristic.

39 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

The only thing they do well is stuff powerful engines in god awful pseudo luxury cars.

Nissan also has decent expertise with BEV and autonomous vehicle technologies, they were among the first to introduce both in production vehicles. As the automotive industry transitions to all electric, all autonomous, Nissan can theoretically take advantage of that.

But Uchida-san really needs to do a top to bottom transformation of Nissan's whole corporate culture. More job cuts too. A couple furlough days at Nissan's U.S. subsidiary aren't nearly enough.   

1 minute ago, rperez817 said:

Nissan also has decent expertise with BEV and autonomous vehicle technologies, they were among the first to introduce both in production vehicles. As the automotive industry transitions to all electric, all autonomous, Nissan can theoretically take advantage of that.

But Uchida-san really needs to do a top to bottom transformation of Nissan's whole corporate culture. More job cuts too. A couple furlough days at Nissan's U.S. subsidiary aren't nearly enough.   

Battery with the Leaf, yes. Autonomous????

31 minutes ago, jcartwright99 said:

Battery with the Leaf, yes. Autonomous????

ProPILOT Assist (on Altima, Rogue, Rogue Sport/Qashqai, and Leaf) and ProPILOT 2.0 (on JDM Skyline Hybrid sedan) have been among the first major deployments of SAE Level 2 and Level 3 ADAS/autonomous technologies on mass produced vehicles.

Remains to be seen if Nissan along with its alliance partners Renault and Mitsubishi are among the first automakers to mass produce SAE Level 5 autonomous vehicles, or if other automakers beat them to the punch.

5 hours ago, jcartwright99 said:

I don't see how they don't go bankrupt or pull out of US market. It's not like they are going to magically make new vehicles that are profitable overnight. Who buys Nissan's? Rental car companies, people with bad credit, and Uber drivers. Infinity is garbage. The only thing they do well is stuff powerful engines in god awful pseudo luxury cars.

Nissan sold roughly twice as many Rogues than the Ford Escape (November).

Edited by CKNSLS

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nissan will never again be one of the "Japan Big 3". Hyundai is now one of the "Asian Big 3"

Nissan's Jatco CVT's are #1 reason they are in the hole. Not because they are CVT design, but the poor quality of Jatco. Other reason is fleet dumping, leading to BHPH resale value. See so many 2010's Nissans all banged up and filthy, with "Drive Time" type stickers.

Edited by 630land

1 hour ago, 630land said:

Nissan's Jatco CVT's are #1 reason they are in the hole.

No sir. The #1 reason Nissan is in trouble now is that their former CEO, now fugitive, decided to pursue sales growth without fixing the company's organizational issues. As I mentioned in another thread, this is a recipe that only makes things much worse. Business consultant Jim Blasingame said "growth for its own sake is organizational suicide" and "If a tree is bent, fertilizing it won't make it grow straighter – only faster in the wrong direction. If you have organizational challenges, don't grow until they’re resolved." At Nissan, the former CEO fertilized a bent tree.

Jatco CVT currently used in Nissan vehicles (and other brands) are fine. Some early Jatco CVT models had issues, but those have been resolved. 

• 4 weeks later...

Reuters reports Nissan's restructuring plans are getting more extensive and the situation at the company is "dire". https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nissan-restructuring-exclusive/exclusive-do-or-die-nissan-takes-the-axe-to-the-house-ghosn-built-idUSKBN1ZR2RG

Japan’s second biggest carmaker is set to eliminate at least 4,300 white-collar jobs and shut two manufacturing sites as part of broader plans to add at least 480 billion yen ($4.4 billion) to its bottom line by 2023, two of the people told Reuters.

The moves come on top of a turnaround plan unveiled in July and are likely to include cutting Nissan’s range of cars and the array of product options and trims in each line, slashing jobs mostly at head offices in the United States and Europe, and reducing advertising and marketing budgets, they said.

“The situation is dire. It’s do or die,” a person close to Nissan’s senior management and the company’s board told Reuters.

Edited by rperez817