Ford November 2019 Approx. Sales

image.thumb.png.b417e57d3a2c3056bb8b55de99e1afc7.png

It's so odd seeing the car cull in full effect to where models are almost gone!

Lincoln numbers look great aside from MKX/Nautilus being down a fair amount.

XT6 and Aviator have been pretty close every month.  XT6 - 2,179 vs. Aviator 2,024

Hopefully Escape and Explorer start to normalize soon.

• Like 3

I think Ford’s in trouble with the new Escape. It’s just not a good enough effort in a class with lots of competition. There are a lot of remaining 2019’s even with  $5000 rebates. I don’t think the new model sells anywhere close to the last generation unless big rebates are in place. The new Explorer has jumped a lot in price which may explain the decline there. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

I think Ford’s in trouble with the new Escape. It’s just not a good enough effort in a class with lots of competition. There are a lot of remaining 2019’s even with  $5000 rebates. I don’t think the new model sells anywhere close to the last generation unless big rebates are in place. The new Explorer has jumped a lot in price which may explain the decline there. 

Where is it priced relative to the competition and the old one?  If it's priced higher then smaller volume is fine.   If it's priced the same and lower volume that's an issue.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Trader 10 said:

When the OLD MODEL looks better than the new one...you are in big trouble.

Prediction-Ford will lose market share in this segment with the introduction of the 2020 Escape.

I am also waiting to see how the Explorer does-now that the price is in the hemisphere. Even tho they are different architectures-the Explorer DOES COMPETE with the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisades which are selling very well-at drastically lower prices.

• Like 1

I believe that Ford  is going too far with trading off even more sales to higher pricing and that's starting to

come back and bite them in the ass as buyers are now more willing to cross shop. Ford is not a premium

brand but it's almost like Hackett is set on aligning Ford's pricing that way and dropping base trims. 

On another note,

F Series had over 72,000 sales last month, even with a new Super Duty change happening

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

I believe that Ford  is going too far with trading off even more sales to higher pricing and that's starting to

come back and bite them in the ass as buyers are now more willing to cross shop. Ford is not a premium

brand but it's almost like Hackett is set on aligning Ford's pricing that way and dropping base trims. 

I have to agree with this.  I'm all for increased ATPs at the cost of some sales, but you can't let them drop too much.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rmc523 said:

I have to agree with this.  I'm all for increased ATPs at the cost of some sales, but you can't let them drop too much.

I suspect that it's the reason why we're seeing a rebalancing of Explorer Vs Expedition

with Expedition now seeing more sales (+10K) versus Explorer still sitting at 15,000 sales.

There's a whole different dynamic going on here, maybe you could include Edge in that too..

I think that Ford is hurting "volume Trim" sales of Explorer by not giving those buyers VALUE

and perhaps charging too much for upgrades - the evidence is there with sales down quite

dramatically.

Edited by jpd80

5 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

I still see more 2020 Escapes and Explorers in my area then I’ve seen of the Ranger, which has been out the whole year. 

The escape is still spooling up and the Explorer seems to have fixed its launch snafus. 

Maybe I'm a little tough on Explorer, it's only down about 2,000 compared to November last year

but Edge is up quite a bit, so maybe there's some give and take there as well...

Could Expedition's increased sales last month be a result of stronger incentives?

51 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

I am also waiting to see how the Explorer does-now that the price is in the hemisphere. Even tho they are different architectures-the Explorer DOES COMPETE with the Kia Telluride and Hyundai Palisades which are selling very well-at drastically lower prices.

The Explorer actually outsells both of them-combined. 15K Explorers vs 5,268 Palasaids and 6,824 Tellurides

The escape was launched when and what kind of inventory is out there. I think the escape and explorer will pick up once the volume in inventory gets distributed. Has Dean weighed in on this discussions.  I would like to know the opinion of the guys having to sell these models to the public.

There are continuing issues with Ford's leasing not being as competitive as it could be,

that monthly payment is so important and drives a lot of customers down the road.

If Ford wants to charge higher prices for vehicles it must support them with competitive leases

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 3

It's way too early to complain about Escape sales right now with such a fresh launch.  Explorer didn't really change from the previous month so that might be worth a thought or two, but I would also say it's a little early since they are always figuring out the product mix for the dealers within the first year. And of course incentives and favorable lease rates come in to play later.

Expedition, that almost seems like a mistake, that's pretty insane!

Fusion numbers are also shocking, they dropped so much.  But if you look at the year, YTD sales aren't down that much.

It's obviously not a great year overall, but they were able to recover a big chunk of the lost car sales with other vehicles despite those other vehicles (Explorer and Escape) going through a disruptive changeover.

I don't think they'll be in a growth pattern until end of 2020 or 2021, assuming the economy holds.  We still have to go a whole year with virtually no cars, this year we still had lots of cars to sell.  We won't have new volume products next year until late so it's hard to see where they'll get growth beyond returning Escape and Explorer to their normal levels.  Ranger still has room, hopefully they'll add another 20-40K Ranger sales next year which should help close the car gap a little more.

Edited by Assimilator
  • Like 1

F Series.....................72,227

Ranger.......................10,568

Silverado...................53,090

Sierra.........................19,963

Colorado......................8,954

Canyon.........................2,208

Ram Pickup..............54,965

Tundra.........................8,816

Tacoma.....................20,727

Edited by jpd80

1 hour ago, pictor said:

The escape was launched when and what kind of inventory is out there. I think the escape and explorer will pick up once the volume in inventory gets distributed. Has Dean weighed in on this discussions.  I would like to know the opinion of the guys having to sell these models to the public.

When I was at the dealer a few weeks ago and I mentioned to my salesman I didn't like the new Escape. His first question was if it was too soft for me. I wonder if that's been the feedback elsewhere too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

When I was at the dealer a few weeks ago and I mentioned to my salesman I didn't like the new Escape. His first question was if it was too soft for me. I wonder if that's been the feedback elsewhere too. 

Every comment in the Youtube comments session about Escape videos has someone complaining about the design. Ford needs to move and schedule an emergency facelift

55 minutes ago, Assimilator said:

Expedition, that almost seems like a mistake, that's pretty insane!

I have a theory on this,

Maybe the GM strike caused it to miss a fleet order in October that was filled by Ford last month?

I have no proof of this but the jump of near 5,000 sales would be explained by a fleet delivery.

18 minutes ago, RadicalX said:

Every comment in the Youtube comments session about Escape videos has someone complaining about the design. Ford needs to move and schedule an emergency facelift

wasnt there a thread about how ford was already planning one?

15 minutes ago, fordtech1 said:

I’m noticing a lot of new expeditions here lately. They look good too. I saw a black platinum today and it looked sharp. I did a double take. Been seeing a few new navigators also.

Same here.  Neighbors just purchased an Expedition Limited.  We were very close to pulling the trigger on a nicely discounted 2019 Lariat to take advantage of 0% financing.  Ultimately we decided to wait another year since our 2013 F150 only has 64k miles and we have 2 years remaining on the Premium ESP.