Ford workers break their silence on faulty transmissions: 'My hands are dirty. I feel horrible'

It looks like the DCT debacle is coming to a head....

EXCERPT:

"DETROIT – They knew the truth and kept quiet.

Their secret wasn’t a secret at all in engineering, product development, research, design or manufacturing within Ford Motor Co., say seven current and former employees who worked to develop and launch the Fiesta and Focus cars that would become known for defective automatic transmissions.   “My hands are dirty. I feel horrible,” said an engineer who played a key role in developing the popular compact cars."

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-workers-break-silence-faulty-145800004.html 

Thanks for sharing this article Ovaltine sir. It's very sad that the engineers at Ford that knew DPS6 can never be "fixed" were overruled and shamed like that.

Ford Motor Company has been known for hostile work environments from its founding. I didn't think things would be this bad for their engineers and other technical experts in the 21st century though.

21 minutes ago, jpd80 said:

The CEO at the time of this was Alan Mulally, so I'm left wondering

was he part of the cover up or was all of this kept from him?

Didn't some of the documents that Freep published last time this came around a few months ago name Mark Fields and Raj Nair as major players in the DPS6 program? 

Yahoo just published the story on their front page. I looked through the comments (fully knowing there would be a lot of ignorance that would piss me off. There was) and it was a lot of 'I'll never touch another Ford again' and 'no more American cars for me'.

Sad really because this could have all been avoided from the start, or at the very least fixed with the 2015 refresh. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Yahoo just published the story on their front page. I looked through the comments (fully knowing there would be a lot of ignorance that would piss me off. There was) and it was a lot of 'I'll never touch another Ford again' and 'no more American cars for me'.

Sad really because this could have all been avoided from the start, or at the very least fixed with the 2015 refresh. 

The other sad thing is that talk is cheap and given the price point of these products, people looking for something cheap was the primary motivation for it. Last time I checked, Ford still had some of the highest consumer retention rates.

But with that said, this was a giant cluster fuck. over the past 15 years, 66% of new style transmissions that Ford has put to market have been complete cluster fucks...with the hybrid CVT in Fusion/Escape being the only success story out of the three. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Didn't some of the documents that Freep published last time this came around a few months ago name Mark Fields and Raj Nair as major players in the DPS6 program? 

Yes sir. No surprise if Fields and Nair have a lot of culpability for the DPS6 fiasco. Both individuals were known for their bad attitude and cover ups, and both were terminated from Ford.

1 hour ago, jasonj80 said:

There's a class action lawsuit about everything, class action and liability lawsuits are between 8%-15% (depending on industry) to the cost of every product you buy. 

There is a glut of lawyers out there, so they have to justify their existence and get paid for it..so thats why we have crap like this. 

30 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

There is a glut of lawyers out there, so they have to justify their existence and get paid for it..so thats why we have crap like this. 

They’re despicable on tv in Atlanta.  There are at least a dozen of them.  In a wreck?  Get a check!  It’s the new lottery.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, akirby said:

They’re despicable on tv in Atlanta.  There are at least a dozen of them.  In a wreck?  Get a check!  It’s the new lottery.

My wife was involved in an accident when we lived in MD-She was at a light, got rear ended and pushed into a F-150 in front of her.

The driver of the F-150 said he was ok.

We moved back to NJ and about a year and half (almost 3 years after the accident I think) I get served with papers by a court employee of the old county we live in (I could have missed it completely if I met up with her in AC that night, but I was tired from traveling previously that week) that required her to go down there for the court case.

Make a long story short, she was excused from the case, but it was just a major PIA because it required 4+ hours of travel time for about 20 minutes of court time...the guy in the F-150 was trying to look for a pay day and the window for suing people was coming up...a lawyer must have reached out to him. 

38 minutes ago, akirby said:

The Brits get some things right - they don’t allow attorneys to advertise on TV.

What's always been interesting to me is that if a project receives federal funds, advertising is not allowed. Transit isn't excluded from this provision yet bus and subways have advertising all over them which are predominately lawyers that say if you're injured in a Transit accident call us and we will sue them for you. These systems are predominately built with Federal Funds and grants. Maybe Ford should charge lawyers to advertise in their cars for defects, like pull down the sun visior and there would be a phone number there, at least they would get some money from advertising then.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Probably Dennis Kuzak too, who was Ford's main product development guy back then.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Almost every bill board on I-10 in Louisiana is an advertisement for lawyers who specialize in truck wrecks.